Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd
    This is a 2007 Reign X0 not a 2010 or 2011 one. Thank you for your answer.
    Maybe get the new frame sell it and get something else. The old link was definitely flawed, I don't believe there is any doubt about it. It sounds like the jury is still out on the newer link but if they start failing you'll start to see a lot more traffic in this thread. I have two friends that have both broken their links on their 2010 reign x's. One went through two or three old links in like 8 months before getting an actually redesigned link than broke that one and than finally got a new 2011 frame from giant with the updated link. The other guy broke his 2010 link in 9 months and now has the newer link. Only time will tell how they hold up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by monstertiki
    I have two friends that have both broken their links on their 2010 reign x's. One went through two or three old links in like 8 months before getting an actually redesigned link than broke that one and than finally got a new 2011 frame from giant with the updated link.
    I have read stuff like this a number of times in this thread - I have to wonder, if you have broken multiple links, on the same frame and swingarm, maybe it's an issue with the alignment of the frame or swingarm? When installing a new link on one of these multiple-break frames, does everything fit together smoothly, with no tension on any of the hardware to get it to fit?

I just find it interesting that we have the above cases, and then riders like me on a 2010 RX frame on the original link, never broken, and I ride the bike hard, in the exact same scenarios, where others have had failed links...something doesn't add up...and I'm not pointing fingers at the rider, I think it still is the frame or swingarm, just maybe not the link?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Holy random babble Batman!
    +1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd
    This is a 2007 Reign X0 not a 2010 or 2011 one. Thank you for your answer.
    Well, thank you so much for your polite and respectful questioning!

However NO...that is not a 2007 GRX0, neither is it a new 11 model though! and you obviously can not read very well nor do you know anything about bikes? I mean I've read your other posts and you come across as a noob (which is fine of course) who knows very little about alot, and your questioning me! That's funny. Go back and 'read' the posts and not just selectively nibble like a fox channel anchor over misguided tidbits.

Look, I'm obviously waisting my time with you on here so this is my last response as I no longer wish to discuss this with you here on this thread. If you wish to question me on the topic at hand in intelligent manner rather than using silly innuendo that even Sarah Palin could artfully side step than fine. Yet any further on your current course then, do not act like a young twit, PM me and keep the off topic banter to the general topic threads.

mtbr member
    Honestly, with the older link there does appear to be an issue, which is why the link has been honed and refined yet, like you I also think it is a combination of other factors too. Like you both myself and my crew all ride fairly hard and not just on one track, with various gnar gnar scenarios here and there with no broken links...thus far.

I think you'll find that near future models that will be further refined ad beefed up to a degree. Its only logical, yet as I've said previously, global numbers on this are incredibly small - small! Hence the question, "what people so far with NEW link have had theirs break?"

Quote Originally Posted by deoreo
    I have read stuff like this a number of times in this thread - I have to wonder, if you have broken multiple links, on the same frame and swingarm, maybe it's an issue with the alignment of the frame or swingarm? When installing a new link on one of these multiple-break frames, does everything fit together smoothly, with no tension on any of the hardware to get it to fit?

I just find it interesting that we have the above cases, and then riders like me on a 2010 RX frame on the original link, never broken, and I ride the bike hard, in the exact same scenarios, where others have had failed links...something doesn't add up...and I'm not pointing fingers at the rider, I think it still is the frame or swingarm, just maybe not the link?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Broken New style link

I know some people have said they have broken the new style link, I just broke mine today, the link had less then 50 Miles in it. and i broke it climbing a slow speed technical rocky trail.
    I'm still trying to learn my way around the forums here, I'm uploading a Pic of my New Style link broken. I remember someone asking for pic's of the new link broken. if you zoom in on the photo, you can see it broke forward of the beefed up bulge they put in the new one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-broken-new-link.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hey Treeroot, thanks for taking the time to properly document the broken link.

It does indeed look like the new improved link that you have broken.

You probably are a worst case scenario, with an 800lb spring and a Hammershcmidt. Not that there's anything wrong with your setup.

Krispy.
    Giant Reign Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP/ Rockshox Revelation
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member
    Yeah +1 to that!

Hey thanks Treeroot...thats exactly what I was asking for. Its interesting its snapping along the drive side.

Yes sir, that is a nice clean snap. Although like krispy, I also noticed that an 800lb spring + the Hammershcmidt may not have been conducive to the situation. Yet in saying that, I think the set up should be fine...with an 800lb spring though, I am just none too sure (?).

Will keep an eye on this spot in the coming months that without a doubt.

Sorry to see your link all fanged-up too BTW, nothing is worse than having to walk down the mountain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I thought my spring rate was too soft so i changed the stock from 450 to 550.So i guess that the spring rate has nothing to do with the broken links. Just got my newly designed link but waited for 3 months.I guess i have to sell my bike to a poser biker lol...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Broken New style link

Just wanted to put up a Pic of the Old Link and the New Link. You can see it broke in almost the same spot. I weight 270 Pounds with my riding gear on. with the Riegn X being a 2.98 ratio bike, 800IB spring still give me a 30% sag, and it's perfect for doing what the bike was made for True all mountain riding. i get off my bike when i wipe out not when it looks hard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-old-new-link.jpg  

mtbr member
    Great juxtaposing photo and broken in the same place.

The plot thickens...!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Can anyone tell me where can i buy an extra link in the us.My redesigned link came after 3months and i wouldn't want to wait for that long if it breaks again. Giant Philippines told me that i cannot order a spare link.If yes any idea how much is the link?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Por 4ª vez bieleta rota.

Mañana fotos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-4%AA-bieleta-rota.jpg  

mtbr member
    Why Giant can not recall all Reign X ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Four links broken by valetropic, two of them redesigned...

GIANT sucks big time.

mtbr member
    Oh wow...that's such a constructive comment! I'll go to the Trek forum now, the haters there have so much more intelligent fodder.

Now globally, how many is that tallied up to now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u View Post
    Oh wow...that's such a constructive comment! I'll go to the Trek forum now, the haters there have so much more intelligent fodder.

Now globally, how many is that tallied up to now.
    Almost as constructive as mine...

And i'm not a 'hater'. In fact, i have a Giant ReignX,

Ciao.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just ordered a 2010 Reign X2. Doh! Should have read this first. I'm assuming as a precaution I should just ask a dealer for the revised link and fit it straight away?

2010 Glory custom FR
    No, not every link breaks. Just ride And don't try do everything to break it... you may get hurt ;>
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I haven't broken my 2010 Reign X and I'm pretty husky and big boned!

mtbr member
    Both the older model and my newer model have been fine so far.

I actually "did" think that I had broken mine just recently when I felt a rather big twang! Looking down though and it was just a fanged up Sram power-link that perhaps saw the wrong side of a naff looking rock. Presume so at any rate, as I did get a little gracious with the landing off a platform onto some rocky gnar section that almost made me wet the pants...

Put on a new Sram linky and all was smiles...tough little buggers they are.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i too have just broken my second (and new designed) lower link although it has lasted a year before it snapped, whereas the original only lasted 3 months. Not had any problems regarding warranty from Giant UK, and my new link will be with me next week. Did ask my lbs to ask the question"can a reign linkage fit the reign x, if i remove the iscg mount ". The answer was the reign has a shorter linkage than the reign x . I assume therefore that it would cause more trouble than its worth. My lbs also mentioned that they know of a man who could possibly mill said link without the allowance of the iscg mount and that this might be an alternative if the link breaks again. will keep you posted

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbz View Post
    My lbs also mentioned that they know of a man who could possibly mill said link without the allowance of the iscg mount and that this might be an alternative if the link breaks again. will keep you posted
    That would be a huge ask to CNC a one-off link. (Aren't they forged anyway?).
    Shame on Giant, who have the responsilibility but not the gumption.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    [QUOTE=hobbz;8158599]i too have just broken my second (and new designed) lower link although it has lasted a year before it snapped, whereas the original only lasted 3 months.

Man, every new post with information about the new design breaking makes the situation seem more and more hopeless. I'm supper bummed.

You said that the new link lasted a whole year. How is that possible? I thought the new design came out in October of last year, thus, it hasn’t been a full year yet right?

Regarding the broken link, did Giant ask you to send them the broken new design to analyze and review the issue? If Giant did this, it might indicate that they are in the process of redesigning another new link to replace the new, but once more defective link. If this were the case, I would once again have some hope to cling to that one day my 2010 Reign X will be as strong as any other bike on the market.

As pissed off as I am at Giant, I am still absolutely sure that if they actually try, they can develop a design that will fit our current Reigns X frames and be unbreakable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i broke the original link in june of last year and got a new one 2-3 weeks later from Giant Holland.which is where the next one is coming from. In answer to your question regarding them asking to look at it, the is no because i think they are aware that it is still an issue with both old and new linkages. When i was talking with the owner of my lbs i suggested that maybe Giant could rotate the iscg lugs thus being able to produce a link that has no extra milling ie- like the Faith or the Glory and seeing as most bike companies now offer custom chain guides this wouldn't be such a great problem

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast