mtbr member

Odd rear shock mount issue...sorta long.

Long but I wanted to get all the details.

Bought a used, but never ridden Fox rp23 off eBay. Correct eye to eye and stroke. The Fox had bushings top and bottom, my Giant shock only top. I pressed out the lower bushing on the fox. I was using an old c-clamp so not too much force involved.

After a few rides the shock developed a knock noise/feel whenever you'd pick the back of the bike up. Subtle, but there. Tried tightening the thru bolt but it was basically bottomed out. Took everything apart multiple times.

Took the bike to a sharp local guy for him to have a look. He assumed it would simply be a worn top bushing but agreed the knock was from the lower mount. The tech thinks the bottom shock mount (on the shock, not the bike) is just a hair too narrow. He believes the shock is off of something oddball, although the eye to eye and travel are the same.
    He also called a Giant dealer he's friendly with and they'd never seen the problem.

So I took it all apart again tonight. The stock Giant branded shock does NOT have the issue after i reinstalled it. The bottom mount of the Fox is slightly narrower than stock....I needed a good caliper to detect it. Also, the two black spacers on either side of the shock are not exactly the same width, again calipers needed.

So while the shop is 100 percent correct, I just can't see Fox making a shock with a mount that's literally a couple hundredths of an inch narrower. My theory is that with the Fox being slightly narrower and one of the spacers smaller, its just enough to get the play.

What I'm afraid of, is if I get something else, I will still have the same problem unless the new shock just happens to be wide enough. I'm going to contact the dealer where I bought the bike and see if the spacers can be ordered or checked, but my hopes aren't too high on that.

Btw, the bike is new as of this June, so not a lot of overall wear. And I keep it pretty clean.(Guy at the shop said you could lick it...)

Thanks for any ideas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Exactly the problem I've been having, waiting for the new hardware from my distributor. Been a few months now...

Maestro suspension has play or gap in the lower shock pivot

This thread is basically about it, allthough some refuse to accept the malfunction of the lower eylet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antti k. View Post
    Exactly the problem I've been having, waiting for the new hardware from my distributor. Been a few months now...

Maestro suspension has play or gap in the lower shock pivot

This thread is basically about it, allthough some refuse to accept the malfunction of the lower eylet.
    Interesting, but crappy all the same. Since the bike purchase I've not had a wonderful relationship with my giant dealer. Sigh. Well, I'll give them a call and see if maybe they have a bunch of spacers we can measure. If we can come up with two "long" ones, maybe it'll work. I'm sure they'll get cranky about me replacing the stock shock by myself, especially since the problem only happens with "my" shock.
    Thanks very much for the info and link!

mtbr member
    Ended up ordering a new bottom bolt kit. As it turned out one of the black spacers that go next to the lower end of the shock was undersized. .446 wide and all three other spacers are .456. So just that little bit of room was enough to allow the Fox, which measured just slightly narrower at the bottom mount, to move just slightly. So problem solved!

Fwiw, the shop ordered the older 08-09 bottom bolt kit. The spacers, bearings, and top bolt are the same but the bottom bolt is different. Woulda been nice to get a spare bottom bolt but happy to resolve the issue.
    Current roster:
    2013 Trance X1 29er
    2013 Mukluk 3
    Banshee Paradox V1
    2011 Defy 1

mtbr member
    I know its an old thread but they make various shims for stuff, perhaps in this case that might have worked. Or a low dollar feeler gauge to shove various sizes in there.