mtbr member
    Jan 2004

NRSting theory...

Maybe some of the new 2004 NRS owners can help me with this...Theoretically shouldn't the NRS have the bump absorbing ability and feel of most 5" and 5.5" travel bikes out there? The reason I say this is because the positive travel of the NRS at 3.75" and zero sag is as much as say a Turner 5 Spot( 5" with 25% sag is 3.75" of positive travel) and the Intense VPP 5.5(5.5" with 33% sag is 3.67" of positive travel). Granted it will not be able to dip into holes as well but it should handle most hits the same and give the same overall feel with alot more efficiency. With a Fox 100X Terralogic in front is should feel like 5" front and rear, since there is little sag with the fork, also. Just something I thought of. If someone has additional insight please share. Thanks.

Also, does anyone know if the NRS 1 is available as a frameset only this year? If not what is the best deal on a complete NRS 1? Will be looking for an XL. Thanks again!

will race for beer
    Mar 2004
    I am pretty sure that the only frame you can get this year is the NRS Air (carbon) frame. You might be able to find a shop to order an NRS1 and sell you the frame and part out the rest...
    scoTt

1997 Stumpie
    2004 NRS1
    2000 Triumph Tiger

On MTBR hiatus :(

No...

Quote Originally Posted by b_tnilc
    Maybe some of the new 2004 NRS owners can help me with this...Theoretically shouldn't the NRS have the bump absorbing ability and feel of most 5" and 5.5" travel bikes out there? The reason I say this is because the positive travel of the NRS at 3.75" and zero sag is as much as say a Turner 5 Spot( 5" with 25% sag is 3.75" of positive travel) and the Intense VPP 5.5(5.5" with 33% sag is 3.67" of positive travel). Granted it will not be able to dip into holes as well but it should handle most hits the same and give the same overall feel with alot more efficiency. With a Fox 100X Terralogic in front is should feel like 5" front and rear, since there is little sag with the fork, also. Just something I thought of. If someone has additional insight please share. Thanks.

Also, does anyone know if the NRS 1 is available as a frameset only this year? If not what is the best deal on a complete NRS 1? Will be looking for an XL. Thanks again!
    Maybe if you were only slamming into curbs. But to use all 5" of travel on a "normal" suspension, that's usually a good hit that comes after a hard landing, which of course is prefaced with even a tiny enough bit of air time that the suspension has the time to fully extend.

But even moreso, you'll find that on a "normal" suspension you're dynamically floating in sag, the suspension is balanced between spring pressure and rider weight whether it's 15% or 40% sag, and the system is primed and ready for a hit. The NRS, if set up per plan, is topped out and is going to need a little bit of convincing to get moving.

I found that even when set up with a tiny amount of sag, the small bump compliance never measured up to a conventionally sagged suspension, although that is partly the point of the No-Resonance Suspension. The large hit absorbtion is there, but is often followed by a strong KLUNK from the shock returning to top-out.

Also don't forget that the NRS, in order to maintain the topped-out position, requires a high amount of shock pressure compared to an equivalent-travel bike. Combine the high pressure with the low leverage ratio (3.75:1.5), and you'll find that pressure builds very quickly in the air chamber and the suspension sometimes has trouble using it all. Bottom-out protection from one standpoint, but at the same time a very high rising spring rate acting as a road block to full travel (the high-volume chamber of the Fox AVA on the '04 bikes addresses this).

Truly, the NRS system is remarkable in that it does as it claims, with no bells and whistles, but I don't think anyone who ownes one will deny that it does so at the expense of sensitivity and quality of travel compared to a traditional suspension with sag.