Thread: NRS2 or 3

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

NRS2 or 3

I'm hoping ya'll could give me a little guidance here. I'm looking at either the NRS 2 or 3 for my new full suspension. I'm coming from an ATX 860 so I'm really psyched about going fs.

Here is my dilema,,,,,,I've heard lots of bad stuff about the Manitu forks and don't know if it is worth the extra money to get the 2 if I can spend $100 and put discs on the 3. My LBS tells me that he warranties 5-1 Manitu to RockShox and he would go for the Pilot instead of the Skareb. I'm a big guy and need a decent fork but I'm not a big hit/downhiller type. I'll be using the bike for local trails XC style. Help me out here folks!!!

Thanks

mtbr member

Nrs

I've got a 2004 NRS 1 and have been happy with the Skareb SPV fork. Granted - it's not the same fork but I haven't had a problem. The thing really works. Not sure if this helps other than the fact that it's a Manitou. Whatever you get you deserve disc brakes.

mtbr member
    I had my eye on the NRS2, but ended up with an '03 NRS 3 due to getting an incredibly good price. I have upgraded to discs and changed out a few other things and totally love the bike so far. I'd be a little hesitant about the Pilot fork if I was a big guy though...it's been fine for me at 135 lb,but have heard bad things about the fork from people who weigh 175 and up. The nice thing about the NRS 3 is that it's the same frame as the higher models so it's a good choice if you are on a budget...could alawys take the money you save and get a Fox Fork!

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I think the Skareb issues were the Comp in 03. That was the only model that seemed to have the problem. I was one of them and got a Black Elite cheap - I LOVE it. Manitou service was terrific. If you're a big guy you may need stiffer springs on whatever you buy. I weigh 185 and the Skareb seemed a little undersprung for me. Another option for you is to ask your LBS what they'd do for a fork trade-in when you buy the bike. You may be able to get a nice fork on an NRS 3 then upgrade the rest as it breaks. That way you at least start with the same frame and shock plus a solid fork.

Maybe shoot for some Avid mechs at the same time.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The Skareb that came on my '04 NRS 1 has worked flawlessly and I weigh 200lbs. I don't think you'll have any problems with the new Manitou's. If you do, their warranty dept. is supposed to be good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

... and if we just ... the Winner is!!!!

The NRS 2 is going to be the winner!!! Thanks for the input. It finally came down to price and the upgrades on the 3 was going to cost as much as the 2,,,so that did it.

Thanks,
    Blue

Quote Originally Posted by blueline33
    I'm hoping ya'll could give me a little guidance here. I'm looking at either the NRS 2 or 3 for my new full suspension. I'm coming from an ATX 860 so I'm really psyched about going fs.

Here is my dilema,,,,,,I've heard lots of bad stuff about the Manitu forks and don't know if it is worth the extra money to get the 2 if I can spend $100 and put discs on the 3. My LBS tells me that he warranties 5-1 Manitu to RockShox and he would go for the Pilot instead of the Skareb. I'm a big guy and need a decent fork but I'm not a big hit/downhiller type. I'll be using the bike for local trails XC style. Help me out here folks!!!

Thanks

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Have a good time Blue. I hope you enjoy the new ride! Post back once you've ridden a few times, I'd like to hear how the new Fox rear shock is treating you!

Wait, isn't your new bike RED!

HAHA!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    Have a good time Blue. I hope you enjoy the new ride! Post back once you've ridden a few times, I'd like to hear how the new Fox rear shock is treating you!

Wait, isn't your new bike RED!

HAHA!
    The new 2 should be black with some red.

I just got my NRS 2 this weekend and broke it in right! I went riding at Otter Creek in KY and went over some crazy rock/root sections. I must say that the fork ate everything I gave it.

Now the big chain ring is a different story. I busted a tooth off of that thing!