NRS

nrs tube durability

Have any of you had dents made in your tubes by rocks? It seems that a small rock has dented my frame with a very small dent (1mm in size). In all of the years I onwed a trek and rode in all sorts of conditions, it NEVER once dented the tube. The giants tubes are awfully thin dont you think?
    Also, what about paint durability? I have had to put frame patches under the cables to prevent further scuffing.
    thanks,
    G
    "Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
    -Dave Attell

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Yes, they are thin

Quote Originally Posted by nygeo
    Have any of you had dents made in your tubes by rocks? It seems that a small rock has dented my frame with a very small dent (1mm in size). In all of the years I onwed a trek and rode in all sorts of conditions, it NEVER once dented the tube. The giants tubes are awfully thin dont you think?
    Also, what about paint durability? I have had to put frame patches under the cables to prevent further scuffing.
    thanks,
    G
    But, they are huge as well. I have dents from my shifter pods being low and crashing. Top tube got a couple elongated dents. And there is one one the side of the top tube, shallow about the size of a quarter. Neither of these dents has any effect on my bike (2 years of riding).
    I also put frame protection where a cable may rub. Interestingly though, I have no dents on the downtube where one would expect rocks and stones to hit from the front wheel. LOADS of paint chips though. Rustoleum Sunburst Yellow is almost an exact color match for my frame, and for the black I use Testor's model paint glossy.
    I wonder why the bike companies do not sell touch up paints for their bikes? They could make some money for exact matches.

Devil Mtn
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I wonder why the bike companies do not sell touch up paints for their bikes? They could make some money for exact matches.
    Not sure about Giant, but some of the bike companies do sell touch up paint...check with your LBS...

BTW, good to hear about the replacement NRS suspension kits. I'll be buying at least one, possibly two.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    No dents yet - knock on wood! I have had zero problems with the frame.
    The paint on my 03 NRS 2 looks good from a distance but it has lots of rub marks and scratches. Oh well, it's a mountain bike and it's not like I paid top dollar for anodize or anything. I do wish it was better though.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

hooked on quack
    Yup. The price for high performance. My 21lb race NRS has had a dent on the top tube for over 2yrs(was there before I got the frame back then). Its usually not from rocks...its from the handlebar flipping around and the brake lever smacking it. Mine did it in the showroom, and was actioned off..parted out..and built up accordingly. My other epic black NRS has a new smallish one, from the brake lever doing the same deal.

Race bike. Note dent in TT. Doesn't affect anything but looks. I couldn't care less.