I <3 29ers

NRS set up help please?

Okay, so with yesterday's ride I realized I needed a little more work with this bike. No sweat, put in a little time and you're set, right? Hmmmm ....

Here's the specs;

I'm 6'3" and 160 loaded (as per yesterday's ride anyways)
    Large/20" frame
    Noleen Mega Air fork (set at 100 mm)
    Cane Creek Cloud Nine
    - running 180 psi, rebound all the way out, compression 10 clicks in (at the end of the ride)
    SGF rockers, using the rear hole for more travel

So what I noticed during my ride that puzzled me was the rear of the bike was bobbing like crazy! Bobbing. Yup, bobbing more then my New Year's date after the party!

WTF??!!!?!?!?

At first I thought my C9 had a leak, but i've checked it tonight several time's using different methods and it's still air-tight. It still has every last psi I put in when I installed it. The only thing I can think of is that i've got so much compression damping that i'm screwing up the rebound. I remember reading about this in the C9 instructions and i'm not sure that this is the case or not. For reference, I started the ride with NO compression damping and wound up turning the 10 clicks before the end of the ride (there's a total of around 15 clicks). I did not notice much difference, but i'm also getting used to the bike, so ... ? My confusion sets in because i'm running over 20 psi more then my body weight which is supposed to be what Giant recommends.

SGF plates - I remember reading that the SGF plate's make the suspension softer (it WAS nice and plush feeling actually), but I don't remember reading anything needing to be done differently with shock set up. Maybe these change the geometry enough that I need to run more psi in the shock (thinking leverage ratio here, the plates are quite different)? I did not have enough time to try running the same shock set up in the shorter travel hole to see what different effects are noticeable.

Teach me, oh wise one's with experience. If you need to know anything else just ask.

PATIA!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Okay, so with yesterday's ride I realized I needed a little more work with this bike. No sweat, put in a little time and you're set, right? Hmmmm ....

Here's the specs;

I'm 6'3" and 160 loaded (as per yesterday's ride anyways)
    Large/20" frame
    Noleen Mega Air fork (set at 100 mm)
    Cane Creek Cloud Nine
    - running 180 psi, rebound all the way out, compression 10 clicks in (at the end of the ride)
    SGF rockers, using the rear hole for more travel

So what I noticed during my ride that puzzled me was the rear of the bike was bobbing like crazy! Bobbing. Yup, bobbing more then my New Year's date after the party!

WTF??!!!?!?!?

At first I thought my C9 had a leak, but i've checked it tonight several time's using different methods and it's still air-tight. It still has every last psi I put in when I installed it. The only thing I can think of is that i've got so much compression damping that i'm screwing up the rebound. I remember reading about this in the C9 instructions and i'm not sure that this is the case or not. For reference, I started the ride with NO compression damping and wound up turning the 10 clicks before the end of the ride (there's a total of around 15 clicks). I did not notice much difference, but i'm also getting used to the bike, so ... ? My confusion sets in because i'm running over 20 psi more then my body weight which is supposed to be what Giant recommends.

SGF plates - I remember reading that the SGF plate's make the suspension softer (it WAS nice and plush feeling actually), but I don't remember reading anything needing to be done differently with shock set up. Maybe these change the geometry enough that I need to run more psi in the shock (thinking leverage ratio here, the plates are quite different)? I did not have enough time to try running the same shock set up in the shorter travel hole to see what different effects are noticeable.

Teach me, oh wise one's with experience. If you need to know anything else just ask.

PATIA!

AndrewTO, we almost have the same setup except I have a Marzocchi MX 120mm w/ ETA, which works really good! i have tried running my NRS with the 4.50" travel and it's too soft for me so I switched it to the 3.50" travel with a little sag on the C9 my rebound is 1/2 and my compression is 1/4, also i'm running the shock about 235psi which is my body weight. I do still get a little bobbing because of the sag on the C9 but when I turn on the RCA button on the C9 it eliminates the bobbing specially when climbing then turn it off while riding down.

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by chadsterNRS
    AndrewTO, we almost have the same setup except I have a Marzocchi MX 120mm w/ ETA, which works really good! i have tried running my NRS with the 4.50" travel and it's too soft for me so I switched it to the 3.50" travel with a little sag on the C9 my rebound is 1/2 and my compression is 1/4, also i'm running the shock about 235psi which is my body weight. I do still get a little bobbing because of the sag on the C9 but when I turn on the RCA button on the C9 it eliminates the bobbing specially when climbing then turn it off while riding down.
    You switched to the 3.5 on the SGF plate's, or went back to stock plate's?

Also, rebound and compression value's - half as in half of the maximum clicks? Are they "from all the way out"?

Sorry, just trying to be sure.

THANKS!

Hmmm, another thought - does the ride height change at all when switching between the two hole's in the SGF plate's? It doesn't look like it would change much (I have yet to check).

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    You switched to the 3.5 on the SGF plate's, or went back to stock plate's?

Also, rebound and compression value's - half as in half of the maximum clicks? Are they "from all the way out"?

Sorry, just trying to be sure.

THANKS!

Hmmm, another thought - does the ride height change at all when switching between the two hole's in the SGF plate's? It doesn't look like it would change much (I have yet to check).
    I switched to the 3.5 setting on the SGF rocker also my rebound is 1/2 from the open and the compression is 1/4 from the open. the ride height is still the same but less travel also the ride is still plush

"El Whatever"
    Isn't the NRS supposed to be run no-sag???

Inflate that thing until it have no sag (despite what Giant says) and you'll get no bob.

But that's from what I've read... maybe users have more input on that.
    Check my Site

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Isn't the NRS supposed to be run no-sag???

Inflate that thing until it have no sag (despite what Giant says) and you'll get no bob.

But that's from what I've read... maybe users have more input on that.
    That's what I mean. I'm already over what they recommend and i'm not sure if the cause is the plate's or ..... I just want to get some clarification before I put 200 or 220 psi in the C9 (jeez that's gonna take a while and be a pita!!!!!!!!!!!!! ). To me something isn't adding up, at least not without a reason.

... and cookies.

"El Whatever"
    That's what I mean. I'm already over what they recommend and i'm not sure if the cause is the plate's or ..... I just want to get some clarification before I put 200 or 220 psi in the C9 (jeez that's gonna take a while and be a pita!!!!!!!!!!!!! ). To me something isn't adding up, at least not without a reason.
    Andrew... you should know!!! You surprise me, bro!

Giant's recommendations are for a shorter travel, hence lower leverage. You need a higher spring rate!! Mo' pressure!! Otherwise the thing will sag and will bob like mad. The NRS is supposed to run no-sag (or only a few mm's as per what some users do to get a plusher ride).

Just don't go above what CC orders for the C9.
    Check my Site

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Andrew... you should know!!! You surprise me, bro!

Giant's recommendations are for a shorter travel, hence lower leverage. You need a higher spring rate!! Mo' pressure!! Otherwise the thing will sag and will bob like mad. The NRS is supposed to run no-sag (or only a few mm's as per what some users do to get a plusher ride).

Just don't go above what CC orders for the C9.
    CRAP! SORRY! MY BAD!

You're right, Warp, I DO know better. I forgot one piece of info!!!!

With 180 in the C9 it does not sag when I sit on the bike. C'mon now, I at least know THAT much.

So, you were saying?

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    CRAP! SORRY! MY BAD!

You're right, Warp, I DO know better. I forgot one piece of info!!!!

With 180 in the C9 it does not sag when I sit on the bike. C'mon now, I at least know THAT much.

So, you were saying?

Andrew try running the SGF plates in the 3.50" setting. it will give you no sag and still a plush ride.

I <3 29ers
    Okay, quick test ride around the block a few time's with "terrain" (don't tell the neighbor's!!! ).

200 psi
    3.5" hole
    both comp and rbd clicked out

Muuuuuuch better. The rear only bob's when I get up and hammer the crap out of it.

I'm happy, see? ~>

Thanks guys! Muchly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(insert dancing banana smiley here)

... and cookies.