mtbr member
    May 2004

NRS replacement rear shock

A friend's 2002 NRS SID blew out this weekend. I see that the new NRS's come with a Fox AVA Air. What have others replaced their rear shocks with after the SID's?

mtbr member
    Some people have went with a Cane Creek. I myself went with a Cloud Nine. Cane Creek is running a upgrade offer where you get $100 off either a Cloud Nine or AD-12. Here is a link.

http://www.canecreek.com/site/home/index_c.html

Do a search on this board the question has bent brought up alot.

Al.
    Hooligan

choices...

I looked into this when my SID died about a year ago. I ultimately went with the Cane Creek Cloud 9 as well, but there are a few other choices. If your friend does not want to have the SID rebuilt (Rock Shox can do it, or hipi-tech), the choices I remember include the Fox you mentioned, cane creek, Risse (they can make one to fit, just call or email them), and Manitou. The Manitou swinger 3 way was not available when I was looking, but it might be a good choice now, although I don't know much about that one.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The Fox AVA on my '04 NRS works pretty darned well. If you can get one from Fox with the NRS valving then that is the way I would go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Does he like the SID XC?

Quote Originally Posted by jdcowboy
    A friend's 2002 NRS SID blew out this weekend. I see that the new NRS's come with a Fox AVA Air. What have others replaced their rear shocks with after the SID's?
    If he liked how it rode, I say get it rebuilt by Rock Shox. My LBS could not do it. It cost $175 (I thought that was STEEP!!) but basically Rock Shox gave my a NEW shock. Everything was new. The rebound adjuster was different as well, that's how I know they just replaced it instead of rebuilding it.(and I had secrect marks I made on it which weren't on the new one.)

I have tried the CC AD-12. Didn't care at all for it. The rebound and compression settings were very very finicky.

I don't know how the Fox AVA is, but it may be nicer than the SID.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelie
    The Fox AVA on my '04 NRS works pretty darned well. If you can get one from Fox with the NRS valving then that is the way I would go.
    The geometry and setup is different on the '04 than the earlier models. I'd double check that the AVA would give you the right performance on a pre-04 model.

mtbr remember
    I'm running the SGF rockers and my SID seems to be leaking air too. Haven't decided what to do, as I hear the Cloud9 is too soft to combine w/ the SGF's. Might start looking for a cheap used SID?
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    I got the leaky shock issue to with the SGF rockers. Much over 200 PSI and I have to refill it all the time. I am however going to eventually buy the Cloud 9 shock and run the SGF rockers. I figure it is to soft, I just add a little more air pressure to it just like I do with the SID.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Go with a Cane Creek shock, you'll definitley see lots of posts on here from happy owners. I don't think I have seen any posts from people who have tried a Fox on a pre-'04 NRS. I don't know that an NRS needs a stable platform shock like a ProPedal or a Swinger. If I had any other XC bike I'd go with a 3-way...

Man, $175 is STEEP. I had a Cloud 9 serviced by Cane Creek for $75.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Upgrade Addict

Go with the Cloud Nine...

I have one and love it. I bought it under that $100 off promo directly from CC for just a bit more than your rebuild will cost. I used my SID for about 6 months before I replaced it to try to get a bit more small bump compliance with the CC Cloud 9. I'll sell you my old SID if you want it. I was going to hang on to it in case I ever wanted to go back. I don't.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I still have my SID too. I was planning on keeping it around for the day my Cloud 9 needs some service and I still want to ride the NRS. Agree with you about never going back!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred