Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

NRS PICS, a little lovin for the nrs that could!

191K views 578 replies 172 participants last post by  Norcal7 
#1 · (Edited)
Nrs Pics

i've seen a bunch of stickies here about faith pics, ac pics, reign pics, etc...
here's my chance to start an NRS pics, sticky pls?

here's my 05 nrs2:
pic1 when i got it!
pic2 is how it looks now!

Attachments

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
great thread--now to get out the camera...

Excellent thread. I have been meaning to break out the camera & take some pix's of mine. My wife kids me about the time I spend on my bike -- kind of reminds of a custom tag I saw on a nicing looking Subura WRX -- "OTHRWOM'N".

Anyway, I started with a used hard-tail just over 2 years ago to see if I would like to MTB. Well, I proceeded to upgrade most every component over the following 1.5 years, primarily buying used parts off of ebay. In March 2005, I finally picked up a '02 NRS frame that came with a Cane Creek Cloud 9 shock and the 4.5" rocker arms ;-) Of course the frame was disc only, so I had to upgrade my wheelset too...

Here's the build that I have ended up with:
- '02 NRS 20.5" frame (red frame with some black) w/ Cane Creek Cloud 9 & 4.5" rockers
- K2 - Noleen Mega-Air Shock (100 mm)
- CrossMax XL (primary) / Shimano WH-M959 (secondary) wheelsets
- XT 760 cassette (11-34) / XTR 953 cassette
- SRAM 9.0 Half-pipe shifters
- X.9 Rear Der, XTR 960 Frt Der, SRAM PC-99 chain
- RaceFace Next LP cranks (carbon w/ red that matches the frame ;-) w/ UN-73 BB
- RaceFace rings (46-34-24)
- PD-M737 pedals
- Maxm MX-6 carbon 1.5" riser handle bars
- Avid Mechanical disk brakes (165mm rotors) w/ Avid SD-7 levers
- WTB Rocket Laser Ti seat and carbon seat post (no name from icycleusa.com)

About the only things that I have not replaced are the stem and the headset cap (it still says Trek ;-) It is fun to ride and is most appreciated on some of the rooted & rutted single track. Anyway, I need to get some pix's of it and wish I already had them. I did manage to do an endo onto the pavement a couple of weeks ago, and cracked the plastic gear indicators on the shifters -- I was lucky that was all I cracked--ouch :eek:

I have not been able to weigh it but I am curious to know its weight. As I mentioned, only a few of the parts were purchased new at retail prices (cassette, chain, shifters, rear der). Most of the items came from individuals or ediscount.com. Including the 2nd wheelset, I have about $1350 in the bike (plus a few extra $$'s for cables, etc.). For most of the items, I figured out what I wanted by reading the mtbr forums & reviews, watched the prices on ebay, and then waited for a good deal. I got the WH-M959 wheelset (not to be mixed up with the really sweet WH-M965) w/ M953 cassette for an incredible deal off ebay--you can tell that chain had come off the cassette on the rear wheel but its not bad enough to merit replacing any of the spokes--they make a great 'back-up' setup ;-) They are not the lightest wheels (1900g-2000g) but the XTR hubs work well. I keep trail tires on the Crossmax XL's and less agressive / road tires on the WH-M959's.

When I upgraded the hardtail to a 9-spd, I had a local shop do it. When I got the NRS frame, I borrowed a friend's bike tool set and built out the bike myself. Lots of fun.

Anyway, sorry about writing the book -- you just got me started. Pix's to follow...

#9 ·
i'll post some updated pics of the new thomson elite stem (just came in yesterday) on the nrs when i get home from work.

keep the contributions coming. a little love for the nrs is greatly appreciated. info and specs welcome too.

ps. anyone running an xt hub with 717 rims gone notubes, pls. post pic of the setup and info if possible.

#11 ·
Guess I should also mention that I've been racing NRS's for almost 4 years. I had a 2002 NRS 1 for 2 years until the composite version was released and bought the 2004 NRS Air. I love this bike and probably have close to 100 races in those 4 years on the NRS. Needless to say I'm also looking forward to trying out Giants new design, I'm even willing to go non-composite for a year :p

#14 ·
Here's my baby

In all her glory, resting in the sweet singletrack. Dunno what to say 'bout her...after years of riding a HT, the NRS is a freaking rocket. Climbs better than my buddies "fully active" Stumpy FSR, and for the last two months has taken a 220lb beating and never wavered.

BTW, how do I upload a bigger pic? When I try, it says the file size is limited to 195kb, and when I edit the pic to 195ish, it is so small....

Attachments

#15 ·
DakotaJockey said:
In all her glory, resting in the sweet singletrack. Dunno what to say 'bout her...after years of riding a HT, the NRS is a freaking rocket. Climbs better than my buddies "fully active" Stumpy FSR, and for the last two months has taken a 220lb beating and never wavered.

BTW, how do I upload a bigger pic? When I try, it says the file size is limited to 195kb, and when I edit the pic to 195ish, it is so small....
Usually I just use image shack to host the image if it is too big rather than saving a smaller file.
http://imageshack.us/

and then use the

#16 ·
DakotaJockey said:

nice one dakotajockey, and all the others that posted pics too. i tried taking pics with lower pixels ( from 5.0 megapixels to 3.2) then i post em and they come out all right.

#19 ·
Couldn't resist...My NRS Comp 2

nrsrex said:
thanks for posting a pic of your beloved ride. any future plans for your steed?

nrsrex :D
Nice thread. I have seen the pics Anthem that will replace the NRS next year. I am sure it will perform well, but the NRS is still a cut above many others out there. Here is a shot of my NRS Comp 2 (stk, with exception to Hayes Mag Plus Brakes). Enjoy...

N.

Attachments

#20 ·
NRS still rules... :D Here's mine...

Frame Giant XtC NRS 3 2003, size M
Fork Manitou Skareb Platinum 100 SPV 2004
Stem Thomson Elite 5*/90 mm
Handlebar Race Face NEXT Low Riser XC
Grips Race Face Good 'n Evil
Seatpost Thomson Elite 30,8 mm
Saddle Selle Italia SLC Gel Flow
Drivetrain / Brakes Shimano Deore XT 2004
Chain SRAM PC 99 Hollow Pin
Cables Nokon Konkavex
Rims Mavic XC 717 Disc
Spokes/Nipples DT Swiss Super Comp / DT Swiss ProLock
Tubes Continental MTB Supersonic
Tires Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25
Pedals Time ATAC XS Carbon

#21 ·
Guess I have the cheap one of the bunch. Oh well, I'm a poor college student and it rules anyways. And yes, it is kept in a very cluttered room next to my wifes 05 Kona Fire Mountain.

03 NRS 3 frame
Marzocchi MX Pro 105
Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 tires
Race Face Ride XC crank
and....you know, other stuff that I don't want to type all out.

I tell you, this fork has made all the difference in the world compared to the Rock Shox Pilot that came stock on it. I think my next upgrade will be a new seatpost, cause this Titec one is creaking like crazy no matter what I do.

Long live the NRS!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.