Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just scored this frame over the holidays.....2002 NRS XTC Pro 20.5"

Added full XT drivetrain, Rockshox Reba100mm Team fork, Avid mech discs with speedial levers, WTB speed V seat & Exiwolf 2.1 tires, eggbeater mtb pedals (black with gold spring that matches handlebars), Oury grips, Kore stem, black 30.9 seatpost, black rollamajig & jagwire cabling. Bought 2 RWC bearing kits for the 04 up frame because they don't have pre 04 kit but only one bearing is different from pre 04 frame & also got 2 BETD Horst link kits that change bushings to bearings as well as the upgrade o-ring rebuild kit for the SID rr shock. Bike is built but still need to do frame bearings and shock rebuild. After that it'll be better than new and ready to rock. Bearings/bushings aren't toast but want complete fresh start. Shock has the negative chamber out as most of these have happen but still feels good enough to ride it around to dial in the drivetrain and get a feel for the bike. Can't wait to get done and throw some actual trail at it. My other FS bike is a resurrected full Deore 1995 Trek Y-22 and it is still nice as hell but the NRS will be a nice addition and newer multilink suspension will be better I believe. Diggin it already, gonna be fun............better pics/vids to come.

Last edited by sp00j; 01-09-2013 at 07:24 AM.

bicycle bicycle bicycle
    OK folks, I saw that this thread is still active so I thought I would post up my recent rebuild.

2002 NRS2 that I have owned since new. This was my first nice bike that I ever bought and I have hung on to it all these years. I gave this bike a face lift in 2008 and converted it over to a SS which was a balst until I started having issues with the front shock and the rear shock holding air.

I decided it was time to update it and I am having a blast riding this bike. It fits me so well and it is so quick handling. First picture below is the before, second picture is the after

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I completely tore down the frame and stripped every piece down to the raw aluminum. Then I rebuilt it piece by piece.

cleaned/replaced all pivot bushings
    rebuilt the SID rear shock
    Fox 32 F80
    Shimano XT rear derailleur, cassette 1x9 and chain
    FSA crank and BB (32 tooth ring)
    Avid BB7
    Sun Rhyno Lite Hoops with Shimano XT hubs
    Origin 8 Space Bar
    Soma Saddle

Most of the new parts were NOS that i bought online either 2010 or 2011 closeout items so I did this on a fairly respectable budget.

I also have a 2009 Anthem X2 and the NRS is back to being my preferred ride.

Peace

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sweet build on the red/black turned raw aluminum above by King..................

Did a 15 mile shakedown blast around my greenbelts last night and it was very good. This bike kicks ass and feels great.........even without rr shock being rebuilt yet or frame pivots being replaced yet. Got 2 sets of fresh enduro pivot bearings with 2 sets of BETD horst link bushing to bearing conversions on the way & also 2 sets of fresh mount hardware/eyelets for rr shock.
    Last edited by sp00j; 01-24-2013 at 06:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ended up putting my "new" unused 2004 Rockshox Bar rr shock on the bike since the mounting hardware I scored fit it but not the SID XC. Tightened up the bike completely. The upper mounting hardware on the rr shock was where the play was. Still waiting on the horst link bearing kit to arrive.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by sp00j View Post
    My other FS bike is a resurrected full Deore 1995 Trek Y-22 and it is still nice as hell
    Your judgement is extremely suspect at this point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Your judgement is extremely suspect at this point.

Suspect all you want. It doesn't take a $5000.00 Xgames or Red Bull event level bike to have fun riding trails. This thing still does great for what it is and no issues whatsoever. Yeah, I like it. Others don't have to. I like all kinds of different bikes and reserve judgement for what I have experienced. Sure it'd suck bad for DH or any crazy freeriding but it does do what it was designed to do very well still. I have 14 bikes so this one doesn't have to take all the beatings every time I want to ride. Don't need FS every time I ride either. I have maybe 500.00 in this fresh new condition bike. Show me a brand new FS bike anywhere near that price that does anything better in XC category and has full Deore/Hayes/Rockshox/Fox setup. I am extremely suspect at that being possible.........

back to NRS thread in progress.................
    Last edited by sp00j; 01-24-2013 at 06:15 AM.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Now your humor-detection is very suspect.

For the record - I owned and rode the crap out of a Y-22 back in the mid/late 90's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Emoticon detected............

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    sweet bike. do you have any idea where i can get a pair of rear shock levers?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    would you have any rear shock levers for sale?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi, I have 2001 XTC NRS and I'm in need of a set of rear shock levers. Does anyone here know where I can buy them??

Ski during the off-season
    Quote Originally Posted by carnut65 View Post
    would you have any rear shock levers for sale?
    Have you checked ebay? I have occasionally seen NRS / XTC frames and/or parts for sale on ebay. One time, I purchased a rear triangle so that I could salvage some of the parts. I cannot remember if the rear triangle came with lever arms. If you PM me, I can take a look this weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hi guys i have Giant NRS 3 thinking about upgrading my RS. is the RS dimension 6.5mm by 1.5mm? currently have older model of Fox float r propedal, what you guys recommend, what is the RS dimension? thank you

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey guys, still looking for this if anyone has one! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by alowell View Post
    If anyone has an 18.5" NRS xtc rear seat stay linkage available, please let me know. Bent the frame last weekend and I just need that rear triangle! Thanks

Andrew

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by dbigfot111 View Post
    Hi guys i have Giant NRS 3 thinking about upgrading my RS. is the RS dimension 6.5mm by 1.5mm? currently have older model of Fox float r propedal, what you guys recommend, what is the RS dimension? thank you
    Yup, 6.5 x 1.5 is the shock spec. I've used RS SID and CC Cloud 9 on my NRS. Currently have the SID on with the CCC9 as a backup (once it's rebuilt). I've seen RS SID and Fox shocks for NRS on ebay every once in a while.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Running a RS Bar 2.1 on mine. Got a Fox Alsp 4 but need mounting hardware to make it my backup until I decide to fork out coin for the RP23. The Bar is working just fine and will not be changed unless problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

'05 NRS-3 gets new life

Been working on my old NRS-3. It'd basically been sitting unused for about 4 years. I live in Taipei (Taiwan) & this'll be my 'city' bike...it'll never see any off-road duty.

all new: manitou r7 pro, race face bar & stem, '13 xt 'everything' (brakes, shifters, mech/derailleurs front & rear, chain), maxxis hookworm 2.5" tires, wheels (mavic d321 rims / xt hubs)

Basically finished...just need to find the right pedals.

Bike's a tank (heavy), but smooth as silk and feels indestructible. I love it.

Last edited by Graz66; 1 Week Ago at 10:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm working on my mate's 02 NRS2 at the moment actually. About to try and rebuild his half-destroyed Manitou Black fork - found a replacement dampener on eBay which should hopefully do the job. Bit hard to come by the service manuals for it, but hopefully should be fine!

mtbr member

Back again

This is my 3rd nrs. I actually owned this model new 12 years ago, and could not resist owning it again. Sweet ride still, it suits me well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NRS PICS, a little lovin for the nrs that could!-image.jpg  

mtbr member

my first bike

mtbr member
    I got a '03 NRS2 and it's weird. I have Psylo forks, Hayes brakes, Deore LX, XT hubs, and NRS shock, but can't find any info or models that match.

I would like some recommendations for rebuilding the stock shock as it has no dampening at all.
    I don't want a new shock because I'm giving it to my 13 year-old son. Yes, he's already 6-feet tall.

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
    I got a '03 NRS2 and it's weird. I have Psylo forks, Hayes brakes, Deore LX, XT hubs, and NRS shock, but can't find any info or models that match.

I would like some recommendations for rebuilding the stock shock as it has no dampening at all.
    I don't want a new shock because I'm giving it to my 13 year-old son. Yes, he's already 6-feet tall.

Looks like the fork is an aftermarket addition to get more suspension travel. If it's more than 100mm then it's gonna slacken the head angle some and slow steering. Not really a good match of a XC-oriented frame.

You could send the shock into this guy for a rebuild. He does good work and a quick turnaround. Price is pretty reasonable and much less than a new shock. Or pony up for a new shock...

Mountain Bike Shock Rebuilds - Progressive 5th, Manitou, Fox, Rockshox, Roco, X-fusion - Broken Bike
    Amolan

Ski during the off-season
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    Looks like the fork is an aftermarket addition to get more suspension travel. If it's more than 100mm then it's gonna slacken the head angle some and slow steering. Not really a good match of a XC-oriented frame.
    I had a 2002 NRS -- it and the 2003 NRS came setup for a 75mm fork -- at least that is what came stock.

I had replaced my rocker arms so I had 4" or 4.5" of travel in the rear, which allowed me to replace the stock fork with a 100mm -- the angle was a little more slack than stock, and I could tell it on the climbs as the front end wanted to pop up some. I do not remember the length of the replacement rocker arms (i.e., so you could tell if you had the stock 3" or the aftermarket 4-4.5" of travel in the rear).

As far as the shock in the rear, it has probably been replaced as well. I am pretty sure that the 2002/2003 came with Rock Shock rear shock, and the NRS or Fox shock came stock in 2005 or 2006. My rear shock had been replaced with a Cane Creek Cloud 9 -- over the 8-9 years I had my NRS, I rebuilt CCC9 a couple of times. One time I ordered the rebuild kit form Cane Creek's web site, and the other time I had a local bike shop order the rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Ranier - thanks for the link! I'm going to contact him.

Journey - My frame serial is April 2003, but it has the NRS shock. It's an oddball for sure.

My son has an allergy to exercise, so the head angle isn't a concern. LOL
    It's now his because they don't sell bikes this size in Korea, and the fact that I only paid $300 for it doesn't hurt either!

mtbr member
    My Race Face BB blew up and had to pound it all apart. Got new Deore cranks, BB, chain and cluster. I think it'll be good for ANOTHER 10 years! now trying to decide if I should get a RockShox Monarch XX with a suspension lockout instead of rebuilding the old shock. Any suggestions?

My 13 yo son. Yes, the frame is an "L"!

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast