Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    The 04-05 bike has a slightly different design near the pivot closest to the rear axle. The rearmost pivot is higher than on the old bikes. The pivot near the BB is above the BB on the 04-05. The chainstays are closer to horizontal. There are lots of examples in this thread. My avatar is an example of a 2005.
    Why the change in design? Does it affect the NRS operation and/or leverage ratio?

Thanks.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by snovvman
    Why the change in design? Does it affect the NRS operation and/or leverage ratio?

Thanks.
    The total travel and shock stroke remained the same.

When the new design came out, some reported the suspension was a little bit more plush over bumps, while retaining bob free pedaling performance.

I never did ride one of the older models, so I can't accurately comment on the performance difference, but I can say that the newer models can still be setup to be completely bob free.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    May 2010

2 all members that are using RP23 on their NRS

First, I want to apologize for my bad English. I am from Croatia, Europe.

Because the original Giant shock on my NRS4 is comming to its end, I am considering the purchase of FOX RP23. Can you tell me is your rear shock setup with or without sag, and if it is with sag, how does it affects on specific design of NRS (bobbing issue and eventual free play between sag level and level where the shock is maximal exetended due to pedal force)?

mtbr member
    What will be spec for a RP23 for the NRS?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

My First Build

Almost done !! Few parts needed still for completion. The Fox Vanilla is the only shock I had around, I'll be changing that asap. It's taken a while to put together, but well worth it. I've done a lot of bargain shoppin !! I'll post details when It's done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NRS PICS, a little lovin for the nrs that could!-100_0297.jpg  

NRS PICS, a little lovin for the nrs that could!-100_0312.jpg  

NRS PICS, a little lovin for the nrs that could!-100_0315.jpg  

NRS PICS, a little lovin for the nrs that could!-100_0321.jpg  

NRS PICS, a little lovin for the nrs that could!-100_0327.jpg  

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I say leave the Vanilla on there.

TRANCER
    Sweet looking NRS man
    Ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I think I might be the only 1 on the planet with a coil over on an nrs. Looks pretty sweet though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just drilled out the cable guides on mine and ran a full housing from shifter to RD. What a difference in shifting! No amount of bouncing on the bike caused the RD to ghost shift. Plus shifts are quicker.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I wanted to but didn't do that last time I changed cables, should have done it, even with new cables there's a fair amount of ghost shifting around 3rd cog on rocky terrain. Having said that I don't fully understand how it helps, on my bike the only section with bare cable is under the top tube, where there is not much frame flex. I'm almost positive in my case GS happens because of rear triangle flex and RD moving relative to the cassette because of that, so I doubt running full length housing would help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by foastic
    I think I might be the only 1 on the planet with a coil over on an nrs. Looks pretty sweet though.
    That seems like an awful lot of front travel for a NRS, I have an adjustable travel fork up to 120mm and don't like how the bike handles at that setting, even with SGF rockers installed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdemar
    That seems like an awful lot of front travel for a NRS, I have an adjustable travel fork up to 120mm and don't like how the bike handles at that setting, even with SGF rockers installed.
    I have my fork at 120mm of travel and SGF rocker. Not too big of a handling difference.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1017
    I have my fork at 120mm of travel and SGF rocker. Not too big of a handling difference.
    I had an 85-125mm adjustable fork on my NRS. While the long-travel *was* nice when heading down, the bike behaved abysmally in that configuration on any sort of "medium-pitch" uphill... no issues at 85mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IgorS1
    First, I want to apologize for my bad English. I am from Croatia, Europe.

Because the original Giant shock on my NRS4 is comming to its end, I am considering the purchase of FOX RP23. Can you tell me is your rear shock setup with or without sag, and if it is with sag, how does it affects on specific design of NRS (bobbing issue and eventual free play between sag level and level where the shock is maximal exetended due to pedal force)?
    I've tried it many ways and found 8-10mm works best for me. If I set it up for zero sag the ride is just too firm across the board. If it's a sustained climb I'll use the lockout.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Deciding to sell the NRS.

What ya'll think is a good price to put it up for sale for? Whole or part it out?

Current Specs:
    Frame - 2003 Giant NRS 2 Medium 18.5"
    Rocker Arm - SGF (4.5" travel setting)
    Rear shock - 2010 Fox Float RP23 6.5" x 1.5"
    Fork - 2009 Rock Shox Reba Team Dual Air (set @ 120mm travel)
    Remote Fork Lockout Control - SRAM Pushloc (Removed, but in a box)
    Wheelset - Mavic Crossmax SL with Hubdoctor Pro
    Tires - Hutchinson Python Light Tubeless UST 26" x 2.0 Front and Rear
    Brakes - Formula Oro K24 Front and Rear
    Rotors - Shimano 160mm Front and Rear
    Stem - White Sette Edge
    Bar - RACE FACE EVOLVE LOW RISE XC BAR (Shortened 1")
    Grips - ODI Oury Lock-on
    Shifters - SRAM Attack Trigger Shifter
    Chain Guide - Shimano XTR FD-M960 Locked into place
    Rear Derailleur- Shimano XTR RD-M970-SG Short Cage (Low normal / Rapid Rise)
    Crankset - Shimano XTR FC-M960
    Chainring - Red Home Brewed Components 34T
    Cassette - Sram PG990 Red
    Pedals - Time ATAC Alium
    Chain - SRAM PC991
    Seatpost - Thomson Elite
    Seat - Sette Amp

Cons:
    Fork fairly scratch, but just serviced.
    Dent on top of downtube and near bottom bracke of framet, nothing unsafe.

Last edited by Aaron1017; 04-19-2011 at 08:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Looking for recommendations to replace the stock fork and rear shock on my 2003 NRS 3. Mid-level price range...

Thanks

mtbr member

I think this is a rare NRS

I'm trying to help my friend sell his NRS - he says it's a 2001 NRS Zero. Anyone heard of this model? I cannot find it on bikepedia. The frame sticker says #33 of 50. It's stock I think and has Hugi hubs, Deore XT hydraulic disc brakes, Mavic wheels, XTR rear derailleur. Anyone know anything about this special model?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NRS PICS, a little lovin for the nrs that could!-img_0500.jpg  

NRS PICS, a little lovin for the nrs that could!-img_0501.jpg  

Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

dirtbag
    ^^^special model indeed.

Frame rear triangle is similar to my '03 Team but the cable routing is on the top instead of below the top tube. The lack of model or even manufacturer decals, besides the limited edition decal makes this one quite a mystery.

How'd your friend come by the bike? Good luck with the sale.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier
    ^^^special model indeed.

Frame rear triangle is similar to my '03 Team but the cable routing is on the top instead of below the top tube. The lack of model or even manufacturer decals, besides the limited edition decal makes this one quite a mystery.

How'd your friend come by the bike? Good luck with the sale.
    I think that he just bought it from the LBS back in '01 or '02. He's convinced the model name is NRS Zero (or NRS 0?). I dunno. Thanks for the response. If I can figure out what it is I'll post it for sale. No idea how much to ask but I think the components are pretty good.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

mtbr member

2003 Nrs 3

Still rides well after 8 years of riding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NRS PICS, a little lovin for the nrs that could!-mtb-dry-medium-small-.jpg  

Resident Microbiologist
    Oct 2005
    Awesome thread

Will post my 05 NRS2 once I get the new stem and wheelset!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Agreed, great thread! I just bought an 05 NRS CARBON C1 AIR frame, will post pics when I get the bike assembled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NRS PICS, a little lovin for the nrs that could!-img_20110720_161446.jpg  

Last edited by mmurraypdx; 07-20-2011 at 08:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I just got a 2002 NRS 2 for $325 and its full XT, Thompson Seat Post, Easton Monkey Lite carbon bars, Mavic F519 rims XT Hubs I will post pics very soon

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    That looks just about like my NRS-G.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    These are the pics that I took to sell it on craigslist. It sold in under 3 hours.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast