Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

NRS PICS, a little lovin for the nrs that could!

191K views 578 replies 172 participants last post by  Norcal7 
#1 · (Edited)
Nrs Pics

i've seen a bunch of stickies here about faith pics, ac pics, reign pics, etc...
here's my chance to start an NRS pics, sticky pls?

here's my 05 nrs2:
pic1 when i got it!
pic2 is how it looks now!

Attachments

See less See more
#407 ·
Biohazard74 said:
Wow that thing looks like its never been ridden. Nice bike man
It's a fresh build. I finished it during a blizzard and never had a chance to take it out except for a few days ago. So, it's basically new. Here's the build.

2003 NRS1
Thomson post & stem
Cane Creek Cronos
XT m751 shifters
XT m750 FD
XTR m952 RD
XT m750 cassette
XT chain
Sram 9.0 hydraulic disc brakes/Alligator rotors/XTR hoses
FSA Afterburner ISIS
FSA Platinum Pro BB
FSA headset
Selle Italia Nitrox titanium
Titec Hellbent XC bar
Titec Pork Rinds
IRC Mythos O2
Magura Asgard
Pedals are Sakae Low Fats for the winter, I'll switch them out for WTB MP250 Stealths this summer.

#408 ·
I used to have an NRS3, stock form 2001 model. I sold this as it was slightly large and built up a Klein Adept to 24lbs. I preferred the NRS despite the obvious component advantages of the Klein after building (Formula brakes, XTR derailleurs, 990 cassette, custom Hope wheels, etc...). Now I have sold the Klein and just purchased a 2003 NRS air in stock form that is in 100% perfect condition, less than 100 miles on it. The SID fork is gone and is being replaced by a new SID XX. The remainder of the bike is full XTR, so I may keep it that way for a while (I really prefer the Formula K24 to the XTR brakeset, huge improvement IMO). I'll post up some pictures as soon as it arrives.

#413 ·
Well, my new SGF rocker arms are on and I could not be any happier. The bike is a whole new bike. With proper air set up, I still retain no bob (on flats at least, we will see about climbing), but it absorbs bumps entirely differently. Not only does it soak up all the small stuff, it will go over 3" square hits without transmitting anything to the saddle. If only I could get my reba team to do the same.

So, bike spec as it stands:
- 2003 NRS 2 frame - SGF rockers in 4.5" setting
- Sid XC rear shock
- Reba Team Fork w/ Pushloc
- Sette edge stem (I highly recommend, 128g for 20 dollars)
- Sette vector bar (again, highly recommend)
- Formula Oro K24 brakeset w/ XTR rotors
- Sram Attack trigger shifters
- XTR FD
- XTR RD
- XTR crankset
- Time Atac Absalon (2010 carbon version)
- XTR cassette
- XTR chain
- Crossmax SL wheelset
- Python tubeless tires
- Thomson seatpost
- Sette Amp saddle
- Total investment in the bike: 1500 with new fork, stem, handlebars, saddle, seatpost, brakes, shifters, lines, pedals. Pretty happy with the bike, it is like new.

And for the previous poster, here is a close up of the SGF rocker arms. The front hole is a shorter travel setting than the rear that I have it in. The red anodized actually matches the frame perfectly, just caught the light differently in this picture I suppose. They are really hard to find, it took me a while to come across a set. It is the best $50 that I have ever spent on my bike.

Attachments

#416 ·
seatpost help

i know this is a bit of an old issue but i really need some help.

i just a got a 2002 nrs (luv it after one ride) but it has a long ...i mean the longest tube i have ever seen and it weighs a ton.

I have a 27.2 triple xx carbon but it is nowhere as long. If I use a shim to fit the 27.2 to 30.8 do you still need at least 6 inches in inside the tube, as i read some where on the web? Is it the other way that 27.2 needs to jve burried at least 6 inches?

can someone help understand my options. if i use the 27.3 with the shim can i just rely on the min depth marks on the seatpost tube and be ok?

New to NRS and will post a pick soon. thanks.

#417 ·
1998 schwinn said:
i know this is a bit of an old issue but i really need some help.

i just a got a 2002 nrs (luv it after one ride) but it has a long ...i mean the longest tube i have ever seen and it weighs a ton.

I have a 27.2 triple xx carbon but it is nowhere as long. If I use a shim to fit the 27.2 to 30.8 do you still need at least 6 inches in inside the tube, as i read some where on the web? Is it the other way that 27.2 needs to jve burried at least 6 inches?

can someone help understand my options. if i use the 27.3 with the shim can i just rely on the min depth marks on the seatpost tube and be ok?

New to NRS and will post a pick soon. thanks.
I don't quite follow.

Minimum insertion mark on your seatpost is fine.

Your seatpost should be inserted far enough to go down past your toptube where it intersects with your seattube.

If your concerned about weight. I would ditch the shim and go with a 30.9 seatpost. A 30.9 will be lighter and stronger.

#418 ·
seatpost help

i read that it is a 30.8, but your options seem to be either a thomson or a cheepie. There is a 40.9 in the bike now, it's snug, but moves up and down easy enough.

i read a bunch of stuff about insertion length mins and shims for 27.2 to 30.8, but read a 30.9 works just fine.

do you find that most people are using teh 30.9s?

#419 ·
1998 schwinn said:
i read that it is a 30.8, but your options seem to be either a thomson or a cheepie. There is a 40.9 in the bike now, it's snug, but moves up and down easy enough.

i read a bunch of stuff about insertion length mins and shims for 27.2 to 30.8, but read a 30.9 works just fine.

Have a 2003 NRS and ditched the shimmed seatpost for a Thompson 30.9.

Way better - lighter, doesn't slide down and looks good!.

#420 ·
1998 schwinn said:

I used a 30.9 Sette APX seatpost in my NRS. Light and cheap. Usually 4-5" of insertion is sufficient.

#422 ·
that's for the rapid feedback

I am trying to grab a quality 30.9 one ebay today so your advice couldn't come at a better time. i just picked up teh bike a couple of weeks ago and road ir once. it road well, but need some adjustments....it has 100 super black air fork...seems abit to high and a little twitchy on the climbs but so comfortable on bumps and going fast down hill.

i am putting a 100 mm stem and flipping it for th 6 degrees and a answer carbon riser bar that is 26 inches wide. i am hoping that will give me better climbing control and comfortable, keep that from end down some b/c i reaaly love the fork's performance.

i hear a lot of people on the thread recommending the 80 mm it was spec'd for...but want to give this fork a chance b/4 i break the bank for 80mm sid.

thoughts are welcomed:thumbsup:

#423 ·
1998 schwinn said:
i hear a lot of people on the thread recommending the 80 mm it was spec'd for...but want to give this fork a chance b/4 i break the bank for 80mm sid.

thoughts are welcomed:thumbsup:
A 100mm fork on the NRS is fine. A lot of people switch from 80 to a 100.

Richard Cunningham from http://www.mbaction.com/ME2/Default.asp even suggests it and RC's kinda like god.

Just run more sag if you need to.

#424 ·
Here's a pic of my NRS-SS from not long ago .. a well scratched 2004 Frame - not many original parts left, and some being replaced soon!

The chain was shortened to an appropriate length after taking the pics. The wheels have since been replaced by an XT M775 wheelset with XT (RT78) rotors and Maxxis Monorail eXCeptions with tubes. Weight must be approximately 11.5kgs (25 pounds.)

A Monorail LUST is going on the rear soon and both wheels will lose their tubes. I've ordered a pivot bearing kit from BETD to replace the still-original squeaky bushings and bearings missing their seals. I wouldn't mind more chain-wrap around the rear cog. I need to fix the bottle-cage bolt mounts, and shorten brake hoses .. I'm sure there's more I could plan! Anyway, parts list:

Factory:
frame - Giant NRS2 2004
shock - Fox Float Vanilla R AVA
cranks - Race Face Ride XC
stem - Easton EA50 120mm (6 deg?)
bars - Easton EA50 630mm low riser
seatpost collar - Giant

Changed:
Fork - Rock Shox SID Race 2008 Black @ 100mm
Brakes - Avid Juicy 7 2007
Wheelset - Shimano XT M775
Rotors - Shimano XT Centrelock RT78 160mm
Tyre Front - Maxxis Monorail eXCeption 2.1 62A
Tyre Rear - Maxxis Monorail eXCeption 2.1 62A
Chainring - E-Thirteen G-Ring 32t Red
Derailleur - Shimano Alfine Dual-pulley Chain Tensioner CT-S500 Silver
Cassette - Fire Eye FE-SSK Single Speed Spacer Kit - Red - 16t
Chain - SRAM PC890 8sp
Headset - Ritchey WCS semi-integrated
Bottom Bracket - Token (model unknown) ISIS
Seatpost - Easton EA70 350mm*30.9
Saddle - Selle Italia SL XC, White/Black
Grips - DMR LOCDD Black (Without Flange)
Pedals - Shimano SPD M520 Silver (the factory ones were black!)

Coming soon:
Grips - DMR LOCDD 2009 - White/Black (Without Flange)
Bars - FSA K-Force Carbon XC 30.8mm, 660mm wide, 18mm Riser Bar 2008
Stem - FSA OS150 100mm/6deg
Tyre Rear - Maxxis Monorail LUST 2.1 70A

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.