Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004

NRS needed a little lovin (Polishing content) x-post

My friend has this old NRS that needed alot of work. All the bearings, headset, bottom bracket etc are shot not to mention the paint looked hideous. Despite that he still loves the bike and the frame is still in good shape. I needed a project being at home with a new baby so I offered to refinish and rebuild it for him. I had never done any of this before but I figured if it came out bad he could still have it painted or powdercoated. During reassembly I did something really wrong. My LBS mechanic pointed it out to me and I felt like an idiot. See if you can tell what my mistake was. Here are the pics.

Before
    Click to enlarge
    Click to enlarge
    Click to enlarge

After the stripper.
    Click to enlarge
    Click to enlarge

After fine grade steel wool and 600 grit wet sanding and a polish.
    Click to enlarge
    Click to enlarge
    Click to enlarge

Now I will tear it down again and replace all the bits and peices. I was thinking of wetsanding all the way down to 1500 grit and then clear coat but I may not. Right now it is easy to just get some mothers polish and a rag if it needs a touch up or if it oxidizes. It was alot of work but is was fun and best friends are worth it.

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    Unless I'm seeing things wrong.... you're going to have fun trying to air up that shock.... but that's an awesome job you did on the frame, wow.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmtnbikr
    Unless I'm seeing things wrong.... you're going to have fun trying to air up that shock.... but that's an awesome job you did on the frame, wow.
    Yeah you got it! oh well I have to take it apart to replace all the bearings anyway.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit? Giant does not seem to have them.

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    Clear it is what I'd do!

Scott is a tool.
    Here you go -

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id55.html

Cheers, Wal.