Thread: NRS Help!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

NRS Help!!

Hi,
    I have a 2001 NRS 1 small frame. I am having trouble trying to find a drink bottle cage that fits this frame. All the ones I have come across sit to low on the frame and the rear shock negative pressure valve hits the bottle on compression. What can I do, besides using a camel back. Has anyone else come across this problem, and if so how did you fix it. There is a second set of bottle mounts under the down tube, but the bottle gets covered in dirt and it is hard to reach. Please Help.
    Thanks Dave

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    can you take a photo?

is there any way to flip/rotate the shock?

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by nrs_dave
    Hi,
    I have a 2001 NRS 1 small frame. I am having trouble trying to find a drink bottle cage that fits this frame. All the ones I have come across sit to low on the frame and the rear shock negative pressure valve hits the bottle on compression. What can I do, besides using a camel back. Has anyone else come across this problem, and if so how did you fix it. There is a second set of bottle mounts under the down tube, but the bottle gets covered in dirt and it is hard to reach. Please Help.
    Thanks Dave
    Hi Dave! Welcome to MTBR!!!!!

I can only recommend two options for your situation, as I gave up water bottles last year....

1) get a hydration pack of some sort, like CamelBak and other popular manufacturers. I was hesitant and bought something small (CamelBak Lobo, advertised to hold 2L, actually holds 1.5) and now i'm wishing I stepped up. It was a quickly loved addition.

2) look around for a bolt-on clamping set-up. These were popular in the past on bike's that didn't have water bottle mounts or to use for adding mounts. You could bolt-on a water bottle mount on the rear of your seatpost, which was the most popular place. Basically, it's two 1/2" wide pieces of aluminum strap that had a provision for a bolt. Neat idea that worked well enough. Don't expect it to be found too easily.

Good luck! I'll see if I can find something while i'm "window shopping" tonight.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    have you tried side access bottle cages. the other option being the velco strap on type, not as great as they tend to roll around a bit.

mike

I <3 29ers
    Here's some links for you to check out, Dave. I'm not necessarily condoning buying on E-Bay, simply using it as a means of quick reference for you.

Two bottles to mount on back of seatpost;
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Profile-Aqua...QQcmdZViewItem

Another, but only one bottle;
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Velocity-SPT-Bac...QQcmdZViewItem

Handlebar mount;
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Water-Bottle-Hol...QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks guys for the replies. I have tried turning the shock upside down but then the positive valve hits. I want to run the bottle cage so I can run electrolyte in it and water in the camel back. I might have a look around for one of those clamp thingies. Surely someone must make an adjustable bottle cage or one that can be modified. I will try and get some pictures of the problem up to give you guys a better idea. I thought that it might have been a common problem with the small frames that someone had come across before.
    Thanks Dave

enjoy the view
    if i remember correctly from my tiathlon days, there used to be profile (brand name?) water bottle cages that sit in the back of your seat... wonder if they still have those? anyways, just a thought.

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by nrs_dave
    Thanks guys for the replies. I have tried turning the shock upside down but then the positive valve hits. I want to run the bottle cage so I can run electrolyte in it and water in the camel back. I might have a look around for one of those clamp thingies. Surely someone must make an adjustable bottle cage or one that can be modified. I will try and get some pictures of the problem up to give you guys a better idea. I thought that it might have been a common problem with the small frames that someone had come across before.
    Thanks Dave
    Hey Dave, if nothing in the links I provided is "up your alley" then maybe make your own? Get a piece of aluminum about 1/2" wide and 1/8" thick. Drill 2 holes in it to mount it to the frame, then 2 more to mount the cage "higher up" (along the down tube, closer to the head tube) and call it a day. Should only take a few minute's of measuring to get it right the first time.

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nrsrex
    if i remember correctly from my tiathlon days, there used to be profile (brand name?) water bottle cages that sit in the back of your seat... wonder if they still have those?
    yes, Profile is still available as far as i know. designed/owned by Scott, right? tri bars and other stuff too (not that i do tri's!).

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have had a look at the bottle cages that sit behind the seat. How hard are they to use? I could see myself putting the bottle behind me and missing and it landing on the ground. I can not believe that giant would put the brazed mounts in such a place that you could not fit a bottle mount, seems crazy to me! I might try the adaptor bracket mentioned above and see how that goes. It is a bit more mucking around but it might just work. thanks guys.