Thread: NRS help!!??

mtbr member

NRS help!!??

01 NRS 1. ive been having some ghost shifting problems... i tried a direct cable routing and zip tying it up.. didnt work. looked into it a little further, and it turns out that there is quite a bit of play in the rear triangle. when the bike is standing up, i move the rear wheel laterally (perpindicular to the direction of rotation). i'm guessing that its a bushing problem, but i dont know. i dont trust the LBS, so i would like to take care of it myself before chancing them. thats a different story. how do i know if the bushings/bearings need to be replaced? is that play normal in the NRS line. i cant say that i ever noticed it before, but i never looked either. brand new drivetrain$$. rear wheel has roughly 1000 mi. on it if that matters.. let me know if you need more info. how much/where could i find a kit?

the wrench
    that leteral flex was an inherent problem with the older nrs frames; anuone over 180lbs usually had ghost shifting problems when they started to crank hard on the pedals. all of this had been corrected in the 2002 or 2003 models. i have see cases where giant has warientied the complete frame because of this problem. the only catch being that you have to be the original owner with recipt. being winter i suggest to try and warrenty it, and 1 of three things may happen, you gat a 2005 mrs frame as a replacement, you get an anthem or a trance frame, you get youre old frame back.

if the problem has just recently started then i suggest trying a new set of bushings and berrings. make sure that you cheak to make sure that all of youre pivots are tight as well.
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garboui
    that leteral flex was an inherent problem with the older nrs frames; anuone over 180lbs usually had ghost shifting problems when they started to crank hard on the pedals. all of this had been corrected in the 2002 or 2003 models. i have see cases where giant has warientied the complete frame because of this problem. the only catch being that you have to be the original owner with recipt. being winter i suggest to try and warrenty it, and 1 of three things may happen, you gat a 2005 mrs frame as a replacement, you get an anthem or a trance frame, you get youre old frame back.

if the problem has just recently started then i suggest trying a new set of bushings and berrings. make sure that you cheak to make sure that all of youre pivots are tight as well.

NRS 01 FRAME:
    at 185 and probably 190 ish in winter im not off to a good start. i dont have the recipt anymore. i can acutally grab the wheel and move it probably 1 cm back and forth!!! not good. are you saying that its the frame doing this and id be wasting my time an d$$ with a bushing and bearing replacement.

the wrench
    well being that the frame is 5 years old those bushings have alot of miles on them. i assumimg that you are running the original bushings. moving the tire back and fourth 1cm is quite a bit. like i said before if this problem didnt occur earlier on im the bikes life a $20-40 bushing kit should solve youre problem.

can you decribe the movement that you are getting in a bit more detail. does it have a "clumk" to it like there is play in something or is it just flexing that 1cm? and with how much effort?

if its bushings it shouldnt take much effort to move the back end laterilly. if you are handy it is possible to do the bushing abd berring youreself with some sockets, bolts and washers to extract and re install the new bushings and berrings.

if its just flexing i recommed making sure the rear qr is tight but also checking for cracks. at the giant dealer that i worked at we dealt fairly large volumes of nrs's and have seen lots of weird things happen to frames so a crack is possible.

NOTE: giant offers many different arrangements of bushing/berring/pivot kits. they all range from just bushings to shock bushings to berrings. I STRONGLY recommend getting the COMPLETE kit with the chainstay pivot bushings the upper rocker berrings and bushings as well as the shock bushing/spacer kit. this is because everything works together to keep the rear end in line; and because giants parts kits are priced very reasonably unlike some other companies.
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

I <3 29ers
    I'm with garboui on this one, but i'll add ....

Take a moment to take the rear wheel of your bike and make sure your hub bearings aren't adding to the movement you're finding. IF you are really finding 1 cm of side-to-side play then I wouldn't be worried about bearings or bushings (they're looooong gone already), i'd be worried about the seatstay and main/lower arms themselves.

If regular maintenance isn't performed (even just once a year) then you can have serious problems, especially with the HL bushings. When they are left un-checked too long you can run into big problems (my used 03 NRS has a small amount of wear showing on one of the arms - i'm trying not to imagine what your's might look like ... especially if they're original).

Check it out and let us know.

Oh, and don't forget to take it all apart and check the pins at the various suspension points - they're just as important as the bearings. If they're scored and have a groove on them then a new bearing STILL won't provide all the support needed.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member

clunk

it is a noticable clunk when i moved. 1 cm might be a slight exaduration, but it is pretty close to that and it moves with minimal effort.it doesnt seem to move as much with a little weight on the seat if that makes a difference. i leaned on it and tried to move it. still does, but the clunk is less noticable. i havent been able to locate where the "clunk" is coming from yet either. i pulled all the pins and they seem to be in good shape. i would like to replace them anyway. do you know anywhere i could pick up an entire kit? how much it would cost? i googled it earlier and all i found was: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id62.html i was hoping to find something for less $$. i just got screwed at the LBS w/ a fork, and on ebay from a seller who isnt registered. are there better deals out there? i ran into a forum from " john" who was selling the kit a couple years ago. is his stuff still floating around anywhere? is it worth it if i do find a kit?

EDIT UPDATE: i took the hub apart to checkout the bearings... bearings look good, nothing pitted, cup is in good shape too. it seems like it was just loose. on the other had there is still a quite clunk going on somewhere. play had been minimized to just the flex in the rear triangle. very small amount, hardly noticable. it could be just my tire being pulled around on the rim, i dont know. anyway, the click seems to come from the rocker arm and shock pin. normal? would that get fixed by replacing all the bushings in time anyway?
    Last edited by laackund; 02-05-2006 at 08:37 AM. Reason: more detail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    I'm with garboui on this one, but i'll add ....

Take a moment to take the rear wheel of your bike and make sure your hub bearings aren't adding to the movement you're finding. IF you are really finding 1 cm of side-to-side play then I wouldn't be worried about bearings or bushings (they're looooong gone already), i'd be worried about the seatstay and main/lower arms themselves.

If regular maintenance isn't performed (even just once a year) then you can have serious problems, especially with the HL bushings. When they are left un-checked too long you can run into big problems (my used 03 NRS has a small amount of wear showing on one of the arms - i'm trying not to imagine what your's might look like ... especially if they're original).

Check it out and let us know.

Oh, and don't forget to take it all apart and check the pins at the various suspension points - they're just as important as the bearings. If they're scored and have a groove on them then a new bearing STILL won't provide all the support needed.

andrewTO- you hit the nail on the head. i pulled all the pins, everything checked out. i still plan on changing everything... its probably over due. anyway, i swaped out rear wheels and the problem was cured with one of my non disc wheels. now the question, its been creating problems for me for roughly the last 50 miles of commuting. shimano xt hub. are my bearings toast?

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by laackund
    it is a noticable clunk when i moved. 1 cm might be a slight exaduration, but it is pretty close to that and it moves with minimal effort.it doesnt seem to move as much with a little weight on the seat if that makes a difference. i leaned on it and tried to move it. still does, but the clunk is less noticable. i havent been able to locate where the "clunk" is coming from yet either. i pulled all the pins and they seem to be in good shape. i would like to replace them anyway. do you know anywhere i could pick up an entire kit? how much it would cost? i googled it earlier and all i found was: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id62.html i was hoping to find something for less $$. i just got screwed at the LBS w/ a fork, and on ebay from a seller who isnt registered. are there better deals out there? i ran into a forum from " john" who was selling the kit a couple years ago. is his stuff still floating around anywhere? is it worth it if i do find a kit?

EDIT UPDATE: i took the hub apart to checkout the bearings... bearings look good, nothing pitted, cup is in good shape too. it seems like it was just loose. on the other had there is still a quite clunk going on somewhere. play had been minimized to just the flex in the rear triangle. very small amount, hardly noticable. it could be just my tire being pulled around on the rim, i dont know. anyway, the click seems to come from the rocker arm and shock pin. normal? would that get fixed by replacing all the bushings in time anyway?
    Well, I think that's all good news. I'm going to assume this is the most recent post (because your last 2 were at the same time).

Hub - looks like you got lucky. I'd say is you're REALLY strapped for cash then just re-pack the hub with a good grease, re-adjust it and call it done. Keep in mind that ball bearings are pretty cheap.

For the rest of it - yes, Enduro's MAX bearings are expensive, BUT they are a quality bearing, not your run-of-the-mill "Japan" bearings. If you can't afford them then i'd suggest checking out another LBS if you aren't comfortable with the one you have. Garboui mentioned getting the complete kit and i'd say that's what you should be looking at, too.

By the sounds of it you are the original owner and this maintenance has never been done before (?????). You gotta change that along with the bearings - get my drift?

Good luck. Maybe post up where you live and maybe someone in your area can post with a different LBS for you to try?
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.