Trail Sanitizer

NRS - Front shock; How big?

(Search isn't working)

I have an NRS with the SGF rockers on there. My current fork only has 80mm of travel. I'm thinking of replacing it with an adjustable fork that has 105-120mm of travel. With the rear travel set at 4.5" and the front at 120, is that too much for the geometry of the NRS?

I went riding recently in Fruita and there were many sections of trail that I didn't try because I lacked the travel up front to help correct my lack of skill. Am I asking too much to have this much travel on an NRS? In a perfect world I would buy a dedicated FR bike but that isn't going to happen. I need something that's adjustable and light because I also race XC. In my current setup, I've never needed the additional travel in a racing situation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

NRS Fork

I currently have a Fox TALAS 85mm to 125mm on my NRS with the standard rocker plates on the rear. Ususally I leave the fork at around 105mm with 6-9mm of sag. The geometry is how I like it. It does ride a bit tall in the front end but doesnt seem to affect the rear shock and I havent had to over pressurise the rear at all. IF you are concerned about your warranty don't do this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i've just changed the fork on my HT (obviously not an NRS though). it's a RockShox REBA with U-Turn, so it's adjustable between 85-115mm with the (slow) twist of a knob. not something you'd fuss over in a race (not that i race), but could suit your needs when you're doing recreational riding. this is a great quality shock in terms of adjustability and strength/stiffness, as well as being light (~1.6kg) and top value (compared with a Fox).

for your race needs, i wouldn't recommend changing the geometry so much, and would stick with something around 80mm, and not over 100mm.

Trail rider and racer
    Back in my NRS days 100mm was the most and 80 would give you the most optimum handling. I don't think it is wise idea to run more than 100mm and from memory the bike isn't design for any more.
    Trev!

Members who have read this thread: 0