mtbr member

NRS bushing kits?

I have an early 2003 NRS AIR and the rear bushings that connect the chainstay link to the seatstay link are toast. I ordered a kit through my LBS, and the kit came with bearings, instead of a pair of bushing sleeves with plastic caps. The LBS ordered another kit, and same thing.

Turns out the rear triangle changed designs, and I have the older (2001/2002) type. Unfortunately for me, the older bushing kits are on serious backorder - June at the earliest - and I'm SOL unless I can find a kit.

Any recommendations / leads?

Thanks!

WWYD?

Try speedgoat.com...

Quote Originally Posted by paqrat
    I have an early 2003 NRS AIR and the rear bushings that connect the chainstay link to the seatstay link are toast. I ordered a kit through my LBS, and the kit came with bearings, instead of a pair of bushing sleeves with plastic caps. The LBS ordered another kit, and same thing.

Turns out the rear triangle changed designs, and I have the older (2001/2002) type. Unfortunately for me, the older bushing kits are on serious backorder - June at the earliest - and I'm SOL unless I can find a kit.

Any recommendations / leads?

Thanks!
    I just bought a full set of bearings AND plastic caps and sleeves for my 2003 NRS3 for the pivot at the rear der. and back of the top rocker arms. $20 dollars a set at speedgoat.com it took two weeks but they got the order right and the price came in under their initial phone estimate. Make sure you describe the year of bike. I have the parts number but not handy at the moment.

A good temporary fix is to run a little plumbers (teflon) tape around the contact surface of the caps to cut down on the flex. It works for a few rides.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

I should have plenty...

PM me!

[paste title here]
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    I just bought a full set of bearings AND plastic caps and sleeves for my 2003 NRS3 for the pivot at the rear der. and back of the top rocker arms. $20 dollars a set at speedgoat.com it took two weeks but they got the order right and the price came in under their initial phone estimate. Make sure you describe the year of bike. I have the parts number but not handy at the moment.

A good temporary fix is to run a little plumbers (teflon) tape around the contact surface of the caps to cut down on the flex. It works for a few rides.
    Im interested in what you did to convert the bushings to bearings. Is it pretty easy? I have the bushings in the rear pivots and their starting to wear down. This is after the first replacement 5 months ago. So do you just take out the bushings and push in the bearings? Thanks
    Keep Pedaling

Bruin Cycling

WWYD?

Bushing mixup

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerdude87
    Im interested in what you did to convert the bushings to bearings. Is it pretty easy? I have the bushings in the rear pivots and their starting to wear down. This is after the first replacement 5 months ago. So do you just take out the bushings and push in the bearings? Thanks
    The bearings are on the rocker arms. The bushings are, alas, on the the rear pivots and I did not convert those, but I did buy some extra time with the teflon tape. I also used tape on the SID eyelet bushings, especially the top "clunker" eyelet. Worked for about 20 hours of hard singletrack before I replaced them with my order for the said parts and the SID's new bushing kit. I only had about 1,000 miles before I did a wipeout on the right side and messed up the pivot. There is still some play in the rear pivots with the new bushings, but the ride is still great. The teflon tape idea came from a Rockshox race mechanic.

[paste title here]
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    The bearings are on the rocker arms. The bushings are, alas, on the the rear pivots and I did not convert those, but I did buy some extra time with the teflon tape. I also used tape on the SID eyelet bushings, especially the top "clunker" eyelet. Worked for about 20 hours of hard singletrack before I replaced them with my order for the said parts and the SID's new bushing kit. I only had about 1,000 miles before I did a wipeout on the right side and messed up the pivot. There is still some play in the rear pivots with the new bushings, but the ride is still great. The teflon tape idea came from a Rockshox race mechanic.
    Thanks for the clarification. So I guess there is no rear bushing to bearings mod that someone has come up with. Would be nice to have bearings then those bushings that get worn down like nothing.
    Keep Pedaling

Bruin Cycling

mtbr remember
    Do all NRS models have bushings at the rear chainstay/seatstay junction. How many bearings are there on the rear triangle of an NRS. I've never taken mine apart and I'm too lazy too just to find out right now. As far as I can tell there are only four total bearings and eight total bushings including the upper and lower shock bushings. - am I right? Although it would be slightly heavier (not that I care really) their should be a way to change those bushings to bearings.