mtbr member

nrs bearing/bushing replacement???

theres some play in my rear triangle. if i grab my r. wheel and try to move it laterally, it has some play to it. theres a lot of ghost shifting, im guessing due to this. i can see movement in the pivots. what needs to get replaced? im not a fan of the LBS, but if im forced to i will go to them (different story about them). i have no exp. with replacing bushings. keep it dumbed down for me if you can explain whats going on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    worth doing a 'search' in this forum about NRS bearings as i recall reading some useful threads. one about what model numbers and aftermarket brands, and another about a kit someone was offering, as an alternative to a Giant set.

it may depend upon what year-model you have, but i presume it's reasonably old or has done a lot of k's/miles.

you'll need to be able to 'punch' the bearing out. if not a proper tool, then a vice can be helpful. a torque wrench is also recommended to ensure to torque the bolts back to spec to prevent binding and risk of loosening; you'll also need suitable loctite (eg: 'blue' loctite).

i've not done the job myself so can't give you specifics but shouldn't be too hard if you have the right tools. you'll want to remove the rear wheel, release the RD cable, and take off the cranks (i'm sure you could leave the BB in place). so again, some specific tools will be required.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]