Thread: Nrs 2

mtbr member
    May 2004

Nrs 2

Any comments / recommendations on the NRS 2 or 3? I am still trying to find a bike for me and any comments would help. Thanks in advance.

Al.
    Hooligan
    It's a good bike at a good price in my opinion. Mine is a 2002 NRS2. I have replaced the rear shock (rock shox sid failure), added the SGS extended travel rocker arms, added heavy springs to the fork, and some other minor stuff. Test ride one if you have not yet. This is the only picture I have of mine at work: (if this works)
    Attached Images Attached Images

[paste title here]
    I would vote for the NRS 2. I own a 03 NRS 2 and like the bike very much. I just did a race 2 weeks ago and it performed perfectly. I got third place in 110 degree weather. For about 1400 dollars its a great deal. You get XT derailleur, lx parts, and avid disc brakes. Its one the of many reasons why I opted the NRS over the specialized. Only problem that I hope you dont encounter is the play on the shock bushing and the cracked skareb. There's been a lot of dicussion about this if you do some searching. So get the NRS 2, I think the 04 model are about the same price with the same specs with last years except for the fox shox. Good luck on your decision.

P.S. If you do get the 03 NRS 2, get a better seat post, the titec x-wing have a history of breaking early.
    Keep Pedaling

Bruin Cycling

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I vote for the NRS 2 also because the NRS 3 rear doesnt have a rebound adjustments. I personally havent used it myself but its a nice option to have. Plus the 2 comes with avid disc brakes. The 03 comes with disc brakes standard but there are two versions of the NRS 2 for 2004... disc or non disc. I personally think the 2004 looks cooler with the fox shock.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Bought the VT-3

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them. I just went to the LBS and test rode the VT3 and the NRS2; although the VT3 was a few hundred more expensive it definitely gave me more of the ride that I was looking for than the NRS2 so I said screw it and spent the extra few hundred and got the VT3 - the bike rocks and I can't wait to take it out on its first real ride.

[paste title here]
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanM
    Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them. I just went to the LBS and test rode the VT3 and the NRS2; although the VT3 was a few hundred more expensive it definitely gave me more of the ride that I was looking for than the NRS2 so I said screw it and spent the extra few hundred and got the VT3 - the bike rocks and I can't wait to take it out on its first real ride.
    Good chocie anyways. I wish I had a chance to try out the VT or any other trailbike but chose the NRS for its efficency. Some places I wish I had a longer travel bike but XC will do for now.... Get some pics of that VT up soon! Have fun with your new ride!
    Keep Pedaling

Bruin Cycling

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerdude87
    Good chocie anyways. I wish I had a chance to try out the VT or any other trailbike but chose the NRS for its efficency. Some places I wish I had a longer travel bike but XC will do for now.... Get some pics of that VT up soon! Have fun with your new ride!

yeah, the bike is awesome - just took it for its first run - what do you know - I blew out the front tire just as I finished my climb and just started to head down hill - what a bummer.
    i didn't have anything to fix it with so I ended up having to walk all the way back home (took me about an hour to get back); i learned my lesson the hard way - getting tools, etc.. tomorrow.

XC rider/racer

Both nice bikes....

The VT`s and NRS are both nice bikes, you`ll really enjoy your VT3.....excellent bike.
    Cheers

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by Al.
    It's a good bike at a good price in my opinion. Mine is a 2002 NRS2. I have replaced the rear shock (rock shox sid failure), added the SGS extended travel rocker arms, added heavy springs to the fork, and some other minor stuff. Test ride one if you have not yet. This is the only picture I have of mine at work: (if this works)
    So your favorite trail is Bear Creek - like I had to guess after seeing your pic They don't put poplars like that on every corner! Fun trail! I've ridden it a few times and combined it with Mountaintown a month or so ago.

Giant didn't even start the year with an NRS 3. They has a 2 that was closer to last year's 3, then a 2 Disk that was about what the 03 NRS 2 was (my ride).

I'd say get the nicest one you can, it's cheaper to upgrade the entire bike when you buy it than piece by piece when things break.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred