Ski during the off-season

NRS 2 or 3 & RockShox SID

I have been considering the purchase of a used NRS frame and have seen that NRS 3 frames typically come with Rockshox SID's w/o rebound control. The other models (1, 2 & Air) have RockShox SID's w/ rebound control. Is it worth the extra $$'s for the rebound adjustment?

Thx.

NRS
    The lockout feature on rear shocks is redundant for the NRS. The NRS automatically locks out the shock under pedaling loads by virtue of the rear pivot arrangement. A lockout is mostly useless on the NRS, new 04 NRS fox shocks have no lockout. My 2003 SID rear has no lockout and it climbs with zero bob. I have other problems with it but bobbing is not one of them.
    "Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
    -Dave Attell

Ski during the off-season

rebound vs lockout?

Quote Originally Posted by nygeo
    The lockout feature on rear shocks is redundant for the NRS. The NRS automatically locks out the shock under pedaling loads by virtue of the rear pivot arrangement. A lockout is mostly useless on the NRS, new 04 NRS fox shocks have no lockout. My 2003 SID rear has no lockout and it climbs with zero bob. I have other problems with it but bobbing is not one of them.
    Thanks for the response -- I could easily be mistaken but I believe the control is a rebound control, which I believe controls how quickly the shock 'responds' to the compression and not a lock out. Your comment regarding the lock-out makes sense, though. What other problems do you have with your NRS? I have read some comments in the forums about how the NRS does not do well under braking conditions (i.e., the design does not allow the rear shock to respond well while bracking) and that it is does not absorb bumps well while climbing.

Thx.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Rebound damping and lockout are two entirely different things. Lockout essentially fixes the shock so it doesn't move - like a hardtail. The NRS suspension works to automatically lockout when you're pushing hard on the pedals and firms up the ride. Shock activated lockout on the NRS really is not necessary because of this and I don't think Giant ever equipped one. Rear wheel braking tends to give a similar "stiffening" effect so definitely learn to use the front brake effectively. A nice fork helps! Yes, the NRS suspension will move when climbing over roots/rocks/etc...
    Under normal riding conditions your shock will compress as the suspension moves. The rate the shock returns to its normal fully extended length is controlled by the rebound damping. Not enough damping and it'll spring back too quickly and you'll feel like it bucks. Too much damping and it won't return to the extended position quickly enough for the next bump. There's definitely a preference angle here and that depends on a variety of things like terrain - thus the adjustment control. Once you've got it to your liking you probably won't touch it again, but it is worthwhile.

Another option you have is to trade the SID in on a Cane Creek shock, they work great on the NRS!

Hope that helps!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

brake jack

Your question about the NRS not responding well while braking...I think you will find this posted in various parts of the site. True, applying brake pressure (particularly discs) does place a counter torque on the four bar linkage that tends to extend the shock (or "jack" it up). If you do a vector diagram of the forces involved, you can see this. Someone more industrious than I actually posted one. Anyway, lacking common sense, I have actually looked down at my shock while braking on a farily technical decent more than once while riding my back brake fairly hard. What I saw was my shock being farily active and not locked out. Would it be more active in a different arrangement? Of course. My point is that when I need that shock, I am hitting something with much more force than the jacking force I am putting into it via my brakes. If the decreased performance of the shock while breaking bothers you a whole lot, then I'd suggest that maybe you want a bike that wasn't strictly an XC bike because the measly 3-4" of travel you get out of it may not be enough. But, it works for me. Hope you enjoy your NRS...it has been a lot of fun for me...

mtbr member

NRS3 + SID= good match

I am actually selling a 18.5 '02 NRS3 frame. When I was riding it, I thought the rebound of the SID was great. I never felt like it "bucked" me up at all. On my new VT, the rebound is more of an issue. With 5+" of travel, I have to dial in that rebound adjuster to really get what I need. For an NRS type frame (XC and some aggressive XC) I think the SID w/o rebound will suffice.
    btw-not to spam this place, but if you're interested, PM me if you want to know about the frame.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Well, I've looked at it while riding in the street in front of my house...
    Thanks for undertaking this important and somewhat hazardous task for the rest of us! I thought it would be possible to have hits overcome the torque due to braking.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred