Thread: NRS 1 Fork

will race for beer
    Mar 2004

New question here. NRS 1 Fork

OK, I have decided to buy a 2003 NRS1 (with a few upgrades)

I am considering a Fox 80 RLC.

Stock shock is listed as a "Manitou Skareb Comp SPV" I have not been able to find any reviews on this fork.

Any input?? is the Fox a worth upgrade??

Thanks

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmillbern
    OK, I have decided to buy a 2003 NRS1 (with a few upgrades)

I am considering a Fox 80 RLC.

Stock shock is listed as a "Manitou Skareb Comp SPV" I have not been able to find any reviews on this fork.

Any input?? is the Fox a worth upgrade??

Thanks
    The skareb is a good fork. Probably lighter then the fox. Of course it isn't as nice as a fox but I reccon it would be fine to use. Why don't you just run the skareb fork and if your really really not happy with it then buy a fox and sell the skareb on e-bay or something? I just think it is a waste of money to get rid of a perfectly good fork. And the SPV is pretty cool, which will mean you will float over stuff(more on the uphill).

Tig
    I ride, therefore I am.

NRS fork

I've heard excellent reviews on the Fox but haven't ridden one othet than a parking lot. I have owned an NRS1 for about 2 months now and like it quite a bit. I don't think it would be a good fork for bigger riders though. The stanchon tubes have a fairly small diameter and flex a bit even under my 135 pounds. I'm not a huge fan of Manitou, but the SPV is working really well for my needs. Set it up like the instructions say and you will be mostly there. Tighten down the red SPV nut so that the top part of it is just below the surrounding sleve.

Fragile - must be Italian

Fox on my NRS

I have a Fox F80RLT on my NRS, which is one step up from the RLC. It has to be the plushest, stiffest XC fork on the market.

The Fox has 32mm stanchions -- the Skareb has 28mm stanchions. The Skareb Comp is 3.4 pounds and the Fox F80RLT is 3.3 pounds (as advertised). I'm not sure if the RLC weighs the same. Check Weight Weenies for this info. Regardless, the difference in weight is negligible (Skareb Super is lighter -- like 3 lbs).

If you are going to pound the crap out of your NRS (like I do), then you will really enjoy the extra stiffness of the Fox. And if you are a heavier rider, you'll want the Fox as well.

Otherwise, if you are just going to ride our NRS on a more casual basis, you probably won't notice the difference between the Skareb and the Fox and would be wise to save the money.

Thx...Doug
    Last edited by dgangi; 03-23-2004 at 08:16 PM.

will race for beer
    Mar 2004

... and if we just ...

Bike is in and all parts except the rear deraiuler. Should be done by Friday!

Shop gave me pretty good credit for the takoffs and I don't really want to upgradelater so...

adding this to an 2004 NRS 1

XTR front & rear deraiulures
    XT Crants
    XT Shifters
    Fox F80RLT Fork
    eggbeaters

Just try to wipe the smile off my face

Thanks for the input!

will race for beer
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    I have a Fox F80RLT on my NRS, which is one step up from the RLC.
    I decided to go with the F80RLT. Shop had one and was not really more $$

Fragile - must be Italian

You'll be happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by rsmillbern
    I decided to go with the F80RLT. Shop had one and was not really more $$
    I think you will really like the Fox. When I switched from my hardtail to the Giant in December, I never realized how superior the Fox was to my old Manitou SX-Ti (THE fork to have in 1998). But just for fun I took the hardtail out last week for a spin and had an awful time with it. That old Manitou felt like total crap compared to the Fox -- in both plushness and stiffness.

Have fun with the bike.

Thx...Doug

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Sweet choice, I am really wanting a fox 80RLT but sadly I want to be able to put my fork up to 100mm so I will probably have to settle wih the 100RLC.
    Post some pics when you get it!!!

mtbr remember
    What is the difference between the Fox F80 RLT and the RLC. I know the RLC has adjustable rebound, compression, and lockout, but what makes the RLT better. Its not travel adjustable and doesn;t have terralogic, or does it? All I can see is the lowers are a dif color.

will race for beer
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    What is the difference between the Fox F80 RLT and the RLC. I know the RLC has adjustable rebound, compression, and lockout, but what makes the RLT better. Its not travel adjustable and doesn;t have terralogic, or does it? All I can see is the lowers are a dif color.
    Near as I can tell the only differance is that the T has a threshold adjustment. You can set the amount of force reqired to defeat the lockout.

Works pretty well. I did my first every MTB Race Today (yeah I survived)!! Got the bike Friday, raced Sunday. Climbed much much better than my hardtail. Really showed how bad my old fork was! So far I am very happy.

will race for beer
    Mar 2004
    Gotta pic of the new ride (pre race) all nice and shiney.

mtbr remember
    That is one bad MammaJamma! (Dont ask me what that means) I'm diggin the full on fox susp and the m760 cranks. Those are two mods that are high on my priorities list- gotta get rid of the sid!

will race for beer
    Mar 2004
    The cranks are definatly a big upgrade over the stock Raceface. The only thing I wish I'd changed are the brakes. They work fine, but I could have saved at least half a pound or more

I love Pisgah
    Hey, that looks like my old office desk thats been recycled into shop counter/storage space. Looks good.

Bikes not bad either.

Duckster

will race for beer
    Mar 2004
    I used to have 3 of those desks. They are about 35 year old Steel Case desk (decomed form where I work) - asume for work bench. Weights about 150 - 200 lbs and you can put 50 lbs in the drawers and they still roll great. When I moved to NC there was only room for 1. Ugly as hell, butt....