I <3 29ers

NRS - 03 ~> 04/05 HL bearing Q's

First and foremost - can it be done? Are the seatstay bearing diameter's the same that you can just order an 04/05 kit from your LBS and swap it all in, or are the bearing diameter's a different size (for reference my 03 has 16 mm bores and the material is 10 mm wide on the stay). What about the corresponding width of the main s/arm, are they the same? (for reference my 03 has a width of 12 mm and the pin that goes through has a 10 mm O.D.)

I know of BETD's kit but I feel it's awfully expensive. Enough so that i'm willing to machine/modify my own stuff and just get MAX bearings to finish the job. Money better prioritized, IMHO.

Are there any alternative kit's out there to do this? If so, who?

PATIA!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    I purchased the BETD kit, i then took the bearing details down to my local bearing manufacturer who produce them for virtually nothing.

I am not totally sure what the difference is between 03 and 04. But obviously there is one, otherwise BETD would do one kit and not 03 and post 03.

If you want the bearing details, let me know.

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidge
    I purchased the BETD kit, i then took the bearing details down to my local bearing manufacturer who produce them for virtually nothing.

I am not totally sure what the difference is between 03 and 04. But obviously there is one, otherwise BETD would do one kit and not 03 and post 03.

Anything you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I post because I don't know and this is part of what i'm trying to find out.

I know that a 688 bearing (the small one from the rocker plates) will fit in the seatstay and that it's half the width (probably why BETD uses 2 of them). I also know the thread spec on the HL on the s/arm is M10 x 1 tpi (funny, it's the same thing as the brake stud thead on the seatstay ). Therefore, the solution for the adaptor is EASY.

I'm not worried about the rest of the bearings (they're all the same), just the HL details. I'm not convinced that the two assemblies are different - look at the spacer's for the 04/05.

Hey smidge, tell me i'm imagining things - why do I get the horrible feeling that for 30 GBP you only get ONE HL bearing kit????? I surely MUST be imagining things, right?

PATIA!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    for £30 you get 1 Horst Link bearing kit - correct. Enough to replace the bushes with bearings on the 2 horst link pivots (left and right side obviously). Is a lot of money for a set of bearings and nylon washers etc.

I spent £55 for the full kit to replace all bearings and bushes on my NRS.

Bear in mind though, Giant quoted me £90 for the Horst Link bearing kit. I laughed so hard at the rep i nearly pissed myself.

I'll get the details of the bearings for you shortly.

I <3 29ers
    for £30 you get 1 Horst Link bearing kit - correct. Enough to replace the bushes with bearings on the 2 horst link pivots (left and right side obviously). Is a lot of money for a set of bearings and nylon washers etc.

I spent £55 for the full kit to replace all bearings and bushes on my NRS.

Bear in mind though, Giant quoted me £90 for the Horst Link bearing kit. I laughed so hard at the rep i nearly pissed myself.

I'll get the details of the bearings for you shortly.
    WOW! Uhhh, they're titanium at least ...... right? Tell me they're ti for that money.

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    nope, they are standard stainless steel MAX bearings.

mtbr remember
    there was a guy about a year ago on here offering really nice, quality kits for sale... his name was Toolmanjohn I believe... I've also seen his kits on ebay for pretty cheap. I bought one (before I sold my NRS) and it was a nice set-up. do a search....
    Schralp it Heavy.

I <3 29ers
    nope, they are standard stainless steel MAX bearings.
    No no, I know that part. I mean the hardware. The bolts, adaptor sleeve thingy, the spacer's - THAT stuff. I'm just wondering if you're getting SOMETHING that represent's that price "to boot".

... and cookies.

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    there was a guy about a year ago on here offering really nice, quality kits for sale... his name was Toolmanjohn I believe... I've also seen his kits on ebay for pretty cheap. I bought one (before I sold my NRS) and it was a nice set-up. do a search....
    Perhaps you're thinking of John, as in his username is "John"??? He used to have bearing conversion kits from my understanding, but no longer has any. He now has the replacement bushing kits. At any rate I bought two of his bushing kits - great guy to deal with! John rocks! I remember him saying he only has a few sets left now (?).

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    May 2012

03 -04 Diffrence

Quote Originally Posted by Smidge View Post

Hi need to know the exact difference ..... need to know how to tell what year my NRS1 is

Thanks