mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Now this is riding!!

Just got my new VT3 yesterday. Transferred my Thomson Elite Stem and Avid SD7 levers. Took it out for its first ride this morning. It was raining pretty steady so I was a bit tentative, as the roots were all slick and there was a lot of slick debris ont he trails (leaves, pine needles, etc) This was a whole new geometry for me. In addition, I'm the trail maintenance workday coordinator for the local trails. Didn't want to tear up wet trails. Anyhow, after one ride, I have to say WOW!! I had a Trek Fuel up until yesterday and this is a whole different kind of ride. Riding over some of the stuff that made the Fuel buck was like a Mack truck riding over a 2x4. I was amazing how the additional travel smoothed out the ride. On the few very small climbs, there was no bob at all. Actually, climbed faster than the Fuel, which really surprised me. I clocked almost 2MPH faster avg. on the same trails I've been riding about 5x per week for the past 4 months. And that was just the first ride. Can't wait for tomorrow.

By the way, had a really bad creak at the start of the ride and remembered reading here about all the seatpost issues, so I just aligned the shim, tightened down the QR and the creak was gone.

Reviewer/Tester

I'll be Baaaack...

Trust me, the squeek will return..

Go buy yourself a 30.8 or 30.9 Thom.son post and forget the squeeks forever.

The VT series are a great bike...i love mine.

R.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Congrats on a great purchase. I have had my VT3 just over a month and have not ridden my hardtail since. I alwo noticed improved climbing and faster overall times with the bike right out of the gate. A big key to the bike is getting the SPV set right, do that and non bobbing. Another trick for climbs is to sit in your seat and crank away, if you have to lean forward and get you head over your bars, but staying seatied really helps.. That bike will climb up a wall if you stay balanced and keep the pedals moving, I have climbed some stuff my hardtail could never dream of clearing.. Staying seated even seemed to help in some twisty burms I hit on a single track, I just pounded the pedals away and let hte bike do the work, was really sweet..

I think the Fuel is a FS?? If not make sure to take your time and learn about preloading the suspension prior to jumps and obstacles, it can turn big obstacles into little bumps if you preload and release right, same with jumps, little loadin up and pop she flies like an eagle!! I cleard a few small doubles yesterday without even meaning to!

Overall, this is the best bike purchase I have ever made, even after 8+ years of being a Mechanic..
    '93 DB Ascent HT, Manitou front shock, XT Der's, SRT500's, SS7 with 987's
    '04 Giant VT3, bone stock