Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DTL
    mtbr member

Noisy Hayes Strokers

I bought a 2008 trance x1 with the stroker trail disc brakes. I like the stopping power of the brakes but they squeal realy bad whenever I'm breaking. Any cure for this?

mtbr member
    Best suggestion is to call Hayes tech support direct and get professional help. When I had some issues I called them and they got me dialed in. They were more than happy to help solve my problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a 2008 X2 and mine started squealing today.... 4th ride since I bought the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have an 08 X1 and the brakes started squeaking after the first ride; under braking and now continuously while rolling...sounds like a squeaky old 3 speed bike coming down the road...was going to have the shop sort it out when i brought it in for a tune, but maybe i'll reach out to Hayes first...

mtbr member
    Hayes did me right when my brakes were squealing on my 08 Trance X2.
    Even gave me an upgrade...although I biatched like hell...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just take the rotors off, and resurface them with either scotch brite pads or a 90 degree, with scuffing pad, and make sure they are centered. Thats just if you want to do them yourself.
    I run through creeks, lite mud and dust every ride and I say that all brakes will eventually do this, ecspecially after you clean it with certain chemicals.
    Mine started sounded like this after the first ride, and I had to do something, because I ride weather permitting every other day and dont have time to take it to the shop.
    Just my opinion, Good luck.

DTL
    mtbr member
    I contacted Hayes about my brakes. They agreed to send me an upgraded set of brake pads without any hesitaton. As soon as I get them installed and a ride on them I will update the thread with the results.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yes, please let us know because Im tired of reworking them after 3 or 4 rides, plus Im due a new set of pads and was thinking about changing the brakes completely, if they didnt offer a better set than what came with the brakes. Dont get me wrong I honestly like the brakes but that dam squeal/howl gets old.
    Thanks Jason

DTL
    mtbr member
    I just installed the new brake pads sent by Hayes. As soon as I get a ride in on them I will post results. I may be screwed this weekend though since the forecast is rain in my area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Rain here to, where are you located?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer
    Hayes did me right when my brakes were squealing on my 08 Trance X2.
    Even gave me an upgrade...although I biatched like hell...
    I went from the first batch of Ryders they built in the beginning of the year to a newer Carbon and everything is fine now.
    From what I've read the first run of brakes built, the 08 series of the Stroker brake, weren't all that great.
    A lot of complaints of noise because of brakes not fiting or not designed for certain bikes and some brakes weren't properly built.
    Brakes were being shipped with missing compression/coil springs or lack of lubricant which causes sticking of brakes.

DTL
    mtbr member
    I'm in Houston, Texas. What about you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Canton GA, about 30 miles north of Atlanta GA. A long ways from Texas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TakoKichi
    I went from the first batch of Ryders they built in the beginning of the year to a newer Carbon and everything is fine now.
    From what I've read the first run of brakes built, the 08 series of the Stroker brake, weren't all that great.
    A lot of complaints of noise because of brakes not fiting or not designed for certain bikes and some brakes weren't properly built.
    Brakes were being shipped with missing compression/coil springs or lack of lubricant which causes sticking of brakes.
    I'm trying to diagnose my brake noise. How do you know if you have an early production brake? Do they have serial numbers or something?

DTL
    mtbr member
    How is the riding out there? We got swamped with rain today so it will be about a week before I get to test out the new pads.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well, we are expecting rain Sunday, and between work and baseball games I havent gotten to ride since last Sunday. Hoping the rain comes in late Sunday evening, so I can sneak in about 10-15 miles Sunday morning.
    Im still working my way back, due to a hernia surgery back in Jan.
    Well maybe you will get to ride soon.
    Be good, Jason

DTL
    mtbr member
    OK, I just got my first ride in with the new brake pads Hayes sent me. The result...same problem with the howling. I'm thinking it might even be louder now. I'm like WTF? I was able to isolate it to only the front brake though. Does anyone have a solution for this? I'm trying to avoid dropping coin for a new brake set but I don't know what else to do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Dang, did you sand or scuff the rotors before you installed the new pads? I would try that, and I know this is going to sound crazy but scuff the pads as well while your at it. I will usually scuff the rotors and pads after 6 rides or so. If you do try scuffing the pad itself, make sure the sanding surface is flat, like taking some 180 or 220 grit paper and lay it on a flat surface and just lightly scuff the pad flat until the pad looks clean.
    It doesnt take as much lifespan away from the pad as you would think.

Just my experience and solution to my problems with this situation.
    Good Luck man.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Almost forgot, make sure the rotor is centered as much as possible.

mtbr member
    It has to be a setup problem if you are howling with the new pads. The OEM pads do seem to make a strange 'I forgot to oil my chain' sound but once I started using the new pads, the sound is gone - even in heavy mud and rain. Maybe check to be sure both pistons are moving. You can do that by holding one side and CAREFULLY pulling the lever to push out the other piston then do it to the other side. That happened on my old XTR brakes and it fixed the sound issue with those.
    "It looks flexy"

squish is good
    I think it is something to do with the Strokers caliper design. I've run plenty of brake in the past and never had them howl like my Strokers do. The Juicy's turkey warble pales in comparison IMO. Hayes CS was super helpful and accommodating, I've gotten two free sets of pads and even a pair of riding socks over the ordeal. While I am very impressed with their service and the reps that helped me I'm done with trying to make these brakes work quietly.

Avid Elixers have been ordered off of Ebay, should be on the bike in a few days.
    Bike good, work bad.

DTL
    mtbr member
    I adjusted the caliper to center better over the rotor. I will try and give a test ride later today to see if it made a difference. As far as testing the piston by holding one side while sqeezing the lever, is this ok to do with the wheel off?

DTL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    I think it is something to do with the Strokers caliper design. I've run plenty of brake in the past and never had them howl like my Strokers do. The Juicy's turkey warble pales in comparison IMO. Hayes CS was super helpful and accommodating, I've gotten two free sets of pads and even a pair of riding socks over the ordeal. While I am very impressed with their service and the reps that helped me I'm done with trying to make these brakes work quietly.

Avid Elixers have been ordered off of Ebay, should be on the bike in a few days.
    I'm trying to avoid dropping the coin on some Avid Elixers. I want to save the money to order them for a Santa Cruz build I'm working on. But they would deffinitely be my choise of upgrade.

DTL
    mtbr member
    I contaced Hayes again since I also have front brake rub I cannot get rid of no matter how many times I adjust the front caliper. Hayes said that there may be too much fluid in the line and to let a little out through the bleed screw and by pressing on the pistons. I did it and it seems that there may be less noise now when braking but I still have the brake rub. The tire spins fine without rub when in my bike stand but as soon as I get on the bike and the wheel starts rolling I can hear the rotor rubbing. Any suggestions?

Cycle Solutions
    maybe your hub is loose. It doesn't rub on the stand because there is no lateral force on the wheel. Check your cones. Has happened to me a couple times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast