mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Noise in derailleur hanger

Hey everyone, I've got a problem with my 2011 Trance X2. There is a very loud and annoying clicking when I pedal the bike. It appears to be coming from the chain rolling over a plastic piece on the derailleur hanger.

Is this piece necessary? Can I just sand it off so the chain doesn't rub against it anymore?

When the chain goes past it, it pushes up on it and pops up as it passes, making a click. The bike sounds like a piece of junk pedalling down the trail. It has become harder to shift, sometimes requiring two shifts before it will change gears and skipping out of some of the taller gears on the cassette.

Any suggestions on what to do?

It's the small black plastic piece in the center of the first two photos. In the second two photos you can see the chain right before it clears it, and right after it pops up.

Thank you!!!

Noise in derailleur hanger-i-p7cm7bw-xl.jpg Noise in derailleur hanger-i-6xnf4th-xl.jpg

Noise in derailleur hanger-i-tdq49xh-xl.jpg Noise in derailleur hanger-i-pkm26xf-xl.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think the chain should be running on the other side of that middle piece so that the chain follows a straight line between jockey wheels. I made this mistake recently when re-installing a chain and it makes a continuous rubbing click noise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yep, remove the chain and run it in the other side of it or remove the back of the derailleur and reposition the chain around the jokey wheels.

Your Best Friend
    Whoever built your bike and routed the chain is an idiot. If it was you...live and learn. If it was your shop, make them give you a new chain and rear derailleur, citing excessive wear and stupidity.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeouch. I bought the bike off of Craigslist a while back and this is how it was. Thanks for setting me straight!

It'll be nice to roll down the trail without making a racket.