Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No more 26'ers

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

No more 26'ers

So, I went to the Giant demo here in the Dallas area to check out their new Trance X. No 26" bikes. According to the rep, Giant will not make 26" bikes for 2013 and pretty soon any high end bike over 2k will not include 26" with any manufacturor. I'm not sure what to think about this. I can understand Giant no longer offering it for whatever reason, but to say that the industry will no longer support it as a whole is quite a bold statement. I just do not like 29" bikes. I tried my best to like them. I tested out a Pivot and Giant 29'er this weekend. I even took into consideration that I just need to "get used to it" and even tried certain hills, curves more than once and it is just not for me.

So, what does everyone else think? Are these 29" bikes the new standard now?
    They call me non-sequitur

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nah, don't worry, they've got to preach it to sell it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hard to imagine the 26 going away just yet in the gravity end of the range, 650b maybe ?
    I am disappointed by the 26er trance being bopped on the head in my country and I imagine other markets will follow next season.. However a 650b version maybe right for me in the future. I wonder how many wheel sizes giant will support across the range ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsymage View Post
    According to the rep, Giant will not make 26" bikes for 2013 and pretty soon any high end bike over 2k will not include 26" with any manufacturor.
    The giant rep misled you - I own a 2013 Giant Reign and it does in fact have 26" wheels. Also, according to the giant website, the 2013 Trance X IS offered in a 26" wheel as well (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...specifications)

So, I have no idea why you were told what you were... But for 2013, giant still offers plenty of 26" bikes... At least in the US. 29" wheels simply dont make sense on 5+" bikes, and 650b is just now gaining steam. So plenty of companies will make proper 26" bikes for several years to come. Clearly, Giant is pushing an agenda which may, or may not reflect reality.

As for the future... I have no idea. But I suspect 26" wheels won't disappear for years to come - and likely never. As long as there are people wanting bikes in that size, someone will make it... Free market economy an all that jazz. Basically, I wouldn't be too worried about the demise of the 26er.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

No Stranger to danger....
    OP grab a nice 2013, 26 Reign they are still makin em and they are a killer bike, ive got last years model n its a dream, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    May 2005

From Taichung Bike Week in Taiwan 27.5 Developing News

2014 should see most if not all the big players switching to 650B and 29'ers as the serious 2 platforms.

From Taichung Bike Week in Taiwan 27.5 Developing News
    Work in progress ...

BRAIN Web editor Steve Frothingham, at Taichung Bike Week in Taiwan, is working on a web story about the emergence of the 650B/27.5-inch wheel size.

Here's Steve's draft opening paragraphs for our Facebook friends ..

TAIPEI, Taiwan (BRAIN) Six-Fifty-Bee? Twenty-Seven-Five?

Whether we know what to call it yet is a critical question, but one thing is clear after spending a week with suppliers and product managers in Taiwan: the mid-sized tire diameter is poised to soon dominate the bulk of the mountain bike market.

It's not just speculation; the industry is voting with its checkbook.

At least one major bike brand recently cancelled a production run for a new 26-inch model just before the bike was set to go into production.

"It was all ready to go, all the engineering was done, all the preparation, then they just cancelled," said an OE salesman for a Taiwanese-based bike manufacturer. "I guess they decided to cut their losses," he said.

The supplier was canceling the order to avoid being stuck with 26-inch bikes when the wave of bigger wheels hits the shores in a few months. Wheel, rim, tire and suspension makers have also tooled up to supply the demand. Even makers of unrelated products have noticed. "I'd like to show you our new 650B saddle line," joked a salesman for one European saddle brand.

Although there are a few holdouts, especially in the U.S., the bulk of the industry here has concluded that 26 inch will soon be a niche size for downhill racing bikes and perhaps department store bikes. Most mid-priced mountain bikes are destined to adopt the mid-sized tires, with 29er wheels reserved for short-travel and hardtail bikes aimed at the cross-country set.

"Twenty-six inch is taken off the menu," said an OE sales manager for a well-known tire company. "It may seem confusing now, but the industry has made the decision for the consumer."
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This is happening because as riders we are idiots. I am not saying all of us are ignorant about the subject but most of us are. This is what we get for drinking cool aid. I ride a Giant Anthem X 26er and is perfectly fine. I've ridden the Giant Anthem 29er and hate how it rides. I will stick to 26er till i die.
    Myrtle Beach Mountain Biker YMCA 62nd Avenue
    http://www.facebook.com/mtbriding

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ehidalgo01 View Post
    T This is what we get for drinking cool aid.
    It seems this time around they are making us drink it.

mtbr member
    This is happening because as riders we are idiots. I am not saying all of us are ignorant about the subject but most of us are.
    Slow down there cowboy! Each wheel size has pluses and minuses. To me, more wheel size choices to suit ones style or how they like a bike to ride is mo better in my opinion than only one choice...

mtbr member
    Giant already dropped 26" hardtails so I think they will do away with more as time goes on.

They do make a 26" Trance X but they only offer the X0 and X3 but the X3 for 2013 is specced like an X4 from last year, cheaper components and shocks.

Since Giant is the GIANT buyer of parts...I can see it going the way they say....just like Apple...no floppy drive....no DVD...and the industry follows.

I don't like having this kind of stuff shoved on us but people bought enough 29ers to make their wallet full so why carry so many models now? They'll just tell what we need.

You get what we give you and you will thank us for it!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I am definitely having a floppy drive installed on my new 650b. It will be a slot that is right behind the u-brake mount.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If Giant drops 26" wheels entirely, its simply an opportunity for a different manufacturer to meet the demand - even if becomes niche in 5 years.

If there is a demand, it won't go away. Its hard to ignore the recent demand for 29's and now 650b... Hence the shift in the market. These companies aren't forcing us into wheel sizes - they are chasing profit. If we don't buy it, they won't make it. So clearly, we are buying these wheel sizes to justify the wholesale move.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It is hard to ignore what demand? All the demos have been done with 29er bikes for the past two years. All the 29er bikes have been per releases long before the 26er bikes. The 29er XTC hardtail carbon was an example of this. So when you go to the floor in most bike shops all they have available are 29ers. We have been led to think that one bike is better than the other when in reality they are just different. The 650b craze has been created by the magazines doing shoot outs and coming out with test placing the 650b in front of the 29er and 26er. The second thing is that parts suppliers have already saturated with parts for 650b so there is no excuse to delay launching the bikes.

The worst part about this is that we are losing the option of having 26ers in hardtail or full suspension. That really sucks.
    Myrtle Beach Mountain Biker YMCA 62nd Avenue
    http://www.facebook.com/mtbriding

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Right - just goes to show how many people are jumping on the 29 or 650b train (as in buying). Its not the manufacturers or magazines fault for telling us we'll be super rad if we get a new wheel size... Its our fault for buying it.

If people weren't buying, they wouldn't be pushing these models. Don't like what giant's doing? Then tell them as much by taking your dollars to a mfgr who isn't "abandoning" 26ers.

mtbr member
    Guys this is Econ 1A. The supply for a different wheel size is there (let's just focus on 29ers), because the market has a demand for it. The 29er wheel size has been around for awhile now and if the consumer didn't see inherent benefits in it over a 26" wheel by now, the demand would not be there and the manufacturers would no longer supply them...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

No good Time to stock up on 26" tires

I just bought a used 26er because I couldn't find anything new with 26" wheels.

I had cash in hand to buy a high-end 26er, and they didn't want it. The wheel change is just like the head-tubes going tapered. They want to older bikes to be obsolete so we have to buy new ones. They made bikes so well that we just buy new parts when the old ones wear out. When the replacements are no longer available you will have to buy a new one. (try finding a decent fork with v-brake mounts)

We might have to stock up on my favorite tires... The salesman at one of the bike stores said that in a couple years only low end bikes will have 26" wheels.

I've been riding mtn bikes for 20 years and can't get used the the bigger wheels...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bidwellian View Post
    I just bought a used 26er because I couldn't find anything new with 26" wheels.

I had cash in hand to buy a high-end 26er, and they didn't want it. The wheel change is just like the head-tubes going tapered. They want to older bikes to be obsolete so we have to buy new ones. They made bikes so well that we just buy new parts when the old ones wear out. When the replacements are no longer available you will have to buy a new one. (try finding a decent fork with v-brake mounts)

We might have to stock up on my favorite tires... The salesman at one of the bike stores said that in a couple years only low end bikes will have 26" wheels.

I've been riding mtn bikes for 20 years and can't get used the the bigger wheels...
    1), cash in hand to buy a high end 26er and they didn't want it...what exactly is that even supposed to mean?? you made a ridiculously low below their cost offer assuming they would want to get rid of it just because and they refused?

2) the wheel change is just like head tubes going tapered....again, what?? tapered head tubes are stiffer and lighter and don't cost anymore than a straight 1-1/8, what's not to like?

3) decent fork with V-brake mounts....WTF is your definition of decent? sure, v-brakes are decent enough for the forks you can still buy with them like on a $400 basic MTB...

4) They made bikes so well that we just buy new parts when the old ones wear out.....what does this statement even mean? when old parts wear out, of course you have to buy new parts. you are saying you expect chains, cassettes, brake pads, bearings, bushings, oils, tires, and on and on to be able to last forever?

5) they want older bikes to be obsolete so we have to buy new ones.....If your bike is worn out, what else do you expect, of course you should buy a new one...do you ride a bike once and go look at another and decide yours is obsolete? if you are still wanting a decent fork with v brakes mounts, maybe you shouldn't ever look on the internet or at a bike store.....

and besides all that, WHO is this "they" you keep speaking of?????

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    "they" are bike manufacturers.

I was venting because I couldn't find a new high end mountain bike with 26" wheels. All the bike shops told me that I have to get used to riding a 29er. I would have bought a new one, if there was one to buy. Where I live the only bikes for sale are 29ers, unless I want to buy a Huffy from Target.

So, I tried to find parts for my old bike, which are hard to find now. (It had v-brakes) I recently found a version of the Manitou that still has v-brake mounts, but decided that my old bike is just too worn out to sink more money into.

I found a used bike on craig's list with 26" wheels and very happy.

I'm just frustrated that the bike manufacturers decided that 29" wheels are the standard.

sorry to get you so pissed off onespeedpaul...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    "they" are bike manufacturers.

I was venting because I couldn't find a new high end mountain bike with 26" wheels. All the bike shops told me that I have to get used to riding a 29er. I would have bought a new one, if there was one to buy. Where I live the only bikes for sale are 29ers, unless I want to buy a Huffy from Target.

So, I tried to find parts for my old bike, which are hard to find now. (It had v-brakes) I recently found a version of the Manitou that still has v-brake mounts, but decided that my old bike is just too worn out to sink more money into.

I found a used bike on craig's list with 26" wheels and very happy.

I'm just frustrated that the bike manufacturers decided that 29" wheels are the standard.

sorry to get you so pissed off onespeedpaul...

not pissed at all, just pointing out flaws in your statements.

Sucks that the only bike shops near you tell you to get used to riding 29ers, BUT on the other hand, unless you are really short, have you even given a 29er a chance beyond just a quick pedal around the bike shop parking lot??

you prefer hardtails or full suspension??

If hardtails, or short travel XC-race style full suspension are your preference and you are used to riding medium or large sized bikes, then really 29ers are a no-brainer....OF course in the end they are all still just bikes and you should ride whatever you prefer and if 26" wheels and v-brakes are it, then glad you found your perfect bike...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I found a Santa Cruz Blur XC and it's great. I'll never go back to V-Brakes, but I hope 26" wheels make a comeback by the time I'm ready to replace this bike...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    This is happening because as riders we are idiots. I am not saying all of us are ignorant about the subject but most of us are. This is what we get for drinking cool aid. I ride a Giant Anthem X 26er and is perfectly fine. I've ridden the Giant Anthem 29er and hate how it rides. I will stick to 26er till i die.
    A little late to the thread here, but ...

I certainly agree with you about the Anthem X 26er and 29er's. I rode the Anthem X2 (?) 29er with the XT components. Did not like how it rode ... at all. Too much bike for my liking.
    Found a '12 Anthem X 26er frame thru my Giant rep and built it up with some new and existing parts from a GF 29er hardtail.

The Anthem X feels great: Easy to spin up, quick handling, so many other great attributes. Now, I would love to find an Anthem X SL composite 26 to build up with the XX1.

Wish they would just make higher end dually 26er frames for another couple years while my fork and wheelset is new(er)! I know I'll prob buy a new mtn bike every 3-4 yrs anyway.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The reports of the death of the 26'er have been greatly exaggerated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I certainly hope you're right, man! I'm good with what I have right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    The reports of the death of the 26'er have been greatly exaggerated.
    Maybe they have, but there is nothing available in the Los Angeless area (as far as 26ers go) for new high end 26er bikes.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Maybe they have, but there is nothing available in the Los Angeless area (as far as 26ers go) for new high end 26er bikes.
    Well... LA does tend towards the "trendy", doesn't it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast