Thread: Nixon on a VT?

I just let one RIP

Nixon on a VT?

I'm saving up to build a VT, and had been planning to go with either a Manitou Minute One or Three, but just yesterday I heard about the Manitou Nixon--up to almost 6 inches travel, remotely adjustable from the handlebar, SPV, air sprung, only 4.1 lbs! It barely weighs more than the Minute One!

The question is whether it is too much travel? Will 145 mm alter the geometry too much? Of course, since it is adjustable, I can set it lower, but then why bother other than the fact it has remote adjustablity.

Another question: those of you with adjustable travel, do you actually use it? Would I find myself just leaving it in one position and never changing it? Then I might as well go with the Minute Two and save half a pound.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    all depends on the riding you're gonna be doing? Will you need 6" or 5" ? Probably not 6 " if you're riding a VT (Unless you're hucking on the thing =). I'm on a VT1 with a Zoke MX comp and I hit some brutal stuff. Never had the need for more than what I"m running up front. I'd say go with the minute and save the weight.

Combat Wombat

Like he said....

Quote Originally Posted by col200
    all depends on the riding you're gonna be doing? Will you need 6" or 5" ? Probably not 6 " if you're riding a VT (Unless you're hucking on the thing =). I'm on a VT1 with a Zoke MX comp and I hit some brutal stuff. Never had the need for more than what I"m running up front. I'd say go with the minute and save the weight.
    I have a 2003 VT-1 and run the back at 5" and the front at 105mm. The most I have ever run the front at is 115mm and while it worked great for more open trails, I did not like how it slowed down the steering for some twisty singletrack I ride. The problem I ran into was that switching between the two settings really messed me up. By riding two different trails and changing the travel, I would find myself under or oversteering all the time. I suppose it is possible that maybe someday I could get used to the different geometries caused by the different travel settings, but for now 105mm works for what I ride. I will say that from my experience, 6'' would be pretty slack.

Brian

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

More travel

I have a VT1 with a Marzocchi Z1 Bomber with 130mm of travel. I have the ability to lock it out at 100mm for hills, but I never do. I ride my Romic rear shock at 5.7 inches and the Marzocchi at the full 130 always. I do a lot of freeriding, and am looking at getting a new fork with more travel. I started a thread asking if you could put a dual crown on a VT1, because I want more. Just not sure if the riding position will be changed too much. I say go with the 5" or 6" up front, I can climb just about anything even riding like that, and the extra suspension comes in handy on drops and jumps.

mtbr member
    Raising the front on a VT is to ask for trouble when climbing. I run mine at 5.7" rear and 120mm front on my Manitou Black Super. Before the Black I ran a RS Psylo and at 125mm the front end was nervous and lifted on climbs but found that runs great at 120.

If you plan to freeride on the VT which is not it's intented for that use be carefull, too much or too little travel can spell disaster and forget about warranties with a dual crown fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Nixon

The new Nixon is a single crown fork, so no worries there. The VT's geometry is built around a 5" fork and putting a 6" fork on may make the steering akward. I think the Minute would be a great fork for a VT. As far as the adjustable travel goes, I like to have it on my AC2 on some of the really steep hills, otherwise I usually leave it all the way up. If I know there is going to be alot of climbing i'll set it at 100-110mm and leave it. It does change the way the bike handles but it never seemed like I had to adapt to it, it just comes natural