Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

New XTC owner and a question?

Just picked up this composite beauty yesterday. I am looking for a suggestion for a 2 X 10 bashguard . I ride a lot of rocky terrain with a lot of logs and know the outer ring will be toast in a hurry if I don't do something quickly. It is possible that this has been covered, but if so, I could not find the thread.
    Suggestions, or pics would be much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New XTC owner and a question?-giant.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Nice bike !

mtbr member
    Check the BCD and hole pattern of your big ring (prolly 4/104) and get the according bashguard of your linking.

Are you considering a chain guide too?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    uhm don't understand bikes still looking.
    I want to buy a mtb for myself to
    sorry i can't help you .

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Can't buy a bash guard for this bike because of the spider setup which is a 120 BCD. Also no chain guide available because the bottom bracket is a press fit therefore nowhere to mount the guide. Not the end of the world I guess, but a pretty dumb design if you ask me... Thanks John, I love the bike so far.
    Once you get your first one, you will be hooked!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    one guy is selling one for 1900
    but i only have 1500 damn it!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i am a little bit mad that i don't have the 400 extra

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you can get one for $1,900.00, that is a great deal, especially for a 2012 model

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i know how many did you for yours ?
    i don't know if you have ridden xtc 1 or 2 29er
    does it feel the same ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just did a few mods...
    New Stan's Arch Wheels with Geax Saguaro TNT's(tubeless), DT Swiss 240s rear hub. Loaded Stem and Seatpost... Carbon Bontrager Bars, Ergon Grips.
    Still haven't ridden it, but soon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New XTC owner and a question?-bike-012.jpg  

New XTC owner and a question?-bike-002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    nice racey looking bike beat up the streets drive drive it like you stole it :P

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Ray View Post
    Can't buy a bash guard for this bike because of the spider setup which is a 120 BCD. Also no chain guide available because the bottom bracket is a press fit therefore nowhere to mount the guide. Not the end of the world I guess, but a pretty dumb design if you ask me... Thanks John, I love the bike so far.
    Once you get your first one, you will be hooked!
    The MRP 2X or Truvativ X-Guide which are both essentially the same thing will get you both a bash guard and a chain guide that will fit that bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by weeksy950 View Post
    I think the OP wants to keep his 2x10

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pamt View Post
    I think the OP wants to keep his 2x10
    Yes I would like to keep the 2x10 if I can. Still a cool chainguide, Thanks.
    Maybe I could find a used outer ring, and grind it into a bashguard, then just go1x10.
    You've got me thinking!

mtbr member
    Just did a few mods...
    New Stan's Arch Wheels with Geax Saguaro TNT's(tubeless), DT Swiss 240s rear hub. Loaded Stem and Seatpost... Carbon Bontrager Bars, Ergon Grips.
    Still haven't ridden it, but soon!
    Have you weighed it yet? I want to get this bike and like the look of the 1 but want the components of the 0.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    what is the frame size of your bike might i know 16 or 18?
    got my mind set on a xtc composite 0! standing beside you with me bike :d

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Really nice bike...Like that hub....

I am a brand new rider and just ordered a xtc 29er1.........I think that is a 3X....Would that take standard guarding.....???

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Has not been weighed yet, but this thing is light. Hoping to weigh it next week, will let you know when I know.
    If I were to guess, I would say somewhere in the 23-ish range? Also, even though it is X-7, and the brakes are Shimano, everything works extremely well. I was actually shocked how well the brakes work. Was going to put new Avid Elixir R SL's on it, but may not now...Also ditched the Ergon grips today and bought some bright yellow Specialized Lockons.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info - I'm thinking I'll get the 1, replace the wheels with Stan's, and maybe upgrade the brakes to the new XT and call it good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    hey well

i just weighed my xtc is between 12-13kg

i don't have one one of those more accurate scales but it is a lot lighter than my old bike that weighed 19kgs

so i suppose i don't mind it being that i suppose some people think that is heavy but consider it light enough for me

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ha-evolution View Post
    Thanks for the info - I'm thinking I'll get the 1, replace the wheels with Stan's, and maybe upgrade the brakes to the new XT and call it good.
    You should consider a Stem and post too. The stock stem is pretty heavy. Carbon low rize bars are also a must when funds allow. If you do not ride super hard, I would also suggest Crest wheels over the Arch's. They are lighter, but not quite as bombproof...

mtbr member
    You should consider a Stem and post too. The stock stem is pretty heavy. Carbon low rize bars are also a must when funds allow. If you do not ride super hard, I would also suggest Crest wheels over the Arch's. They are lighter, but not quite as bombproof...
    Good ideas thanks. I have a carbon race face bar that I never got around to putting on my AX1. Any ideas on stem and post? Not sure about the Crests as I weigh 180 and don't want to have to worry about fragile wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well, I have a Loaded Precision X-Lite Stem and Post. I am a huge fan of their components, light and very strong, and in a lot of different colors. Stem weight is only 100 grams! The only thing is that the Giant Stem angle is 8", so, unless you have a low rise carbon bar, you may feel a bit leaned over with the Loaded Stem, as it is only a 5 degree angle at 100mm length. I am right around the same weight as you and the Arch's are perfect, I am a pretty aggressive rider so I thought the Crests would be a little too light...Good luck with your bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ha-evolution View Post
    Have you weighed it yet? I want to get this bike and like the look of the 1 but want the components of the 0.
    Brought my bike over to my LBS and weighed it. Exactly 24lbs., 8oz (EDIT) .
    With some drivetrain mods like a lighter crankset, lighter tires, and lighter brakes I should be able to lose quite a bit more if I want to......

Then we weighed the exact same bike bone stock without pedals and it was exactly 25 lbs. 7 ounces...
    Last edited by A-Ray; 02-09-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast