mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New Trance2 suggestions

Ok finally took the leap and bought my first full suspension bike a 2007 Trance 2. Man it rides great and I'm having a lot of fun riding around southern Utah. I'm a 30 yr old 5'10" 210lb guy who is getting back into Mtbing to try and loose a little weight and relieve some stress.

My bike looks just like this one...
    DSC02455-1000.jpg

My question is what major upgrades should I be looking into in the near future and any suggestions on things to keep an eye on maintenance wise (ie bearings, brakes, etc). I have free labor at the LBS for a year so would like to take advantage of that if there is anything that requires routine maintenance. It has a lot of entry level stuff so (avid juicy 3's, LX shifting) I'm assuming that stuff won't last forever. I'm hovering right around 30lbs on the bike so any suggestions as I upgrade in the future to drop a little weight.

mtbr member
    Loose some rotational weight. Wheelset and tires is where you will feel the most weight loss. Other than that it should have pretty good compoenents already. I would just wait until things start wearing out, but they all should last a very long time.

mtbr member
    1. It's a waste of money to upgrade anything until you recognize the benefits. Ride on it for a few months -- there's nothing less than great stuff on your bike, just some parts that are heavier than top-of-the-line stuff. As parts brake or wear out, replace them with higher end parts. But if you're concerned with weight, wheels are always the number one place to look, followed by cranks, but both are pricey. A $600 wheelset might drop your wheels from 2100 grams to 1600! Go tubeless while you're at it.

2. Keep your chain clean and relube it often. White lightening and pedros are both great. Degreaser first to get ride of heavy buildup. If your disc brakes are rubbing, loosen the bolts, squeeze the brakes, and tighten again to realign them.

3. Lose the reflectors.

Ride the hell out of it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Good suggestions!! No weight really isn't a concern, it rides so well and with the suspension climbs like a goat with no real pedal bob. Climbs better on the terrain I'm riding then my 28 lb hardtail cause the back tire seems to get better traction.

I'll wait till stuff wears out or becomes reliable, the only thing I've been cautioned about is the Juicy 3's can be a PITA but they sure work well now.

Is there anything else besides the chain that everyone would suggest as a routine maintenance thing. There is a big thread on here about replacing the bearings, how do I inspect those??

mtbr member
    Check out the Park tool website they have just about everything you need to know as far as maintenance goes.