Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009

New Trance Owner

So I've been searching for a FS frame for a little while and have loved the reviews of the trance but couldn't find one(either a frame or bike) for the right price until I walked into my LBS today. Seems they decided to put a left over trance 4 out on the floor and it just happened to be my size.

Price Tag: $799.00 - I couldn't resist. It was sitting side by side w/ yukon Fx priced at $850.00. I went home, grabbed my new burton snowboard and brought it in for a deposit.

I will go back and take some pics before I start swapping parts off my hardtail. I should be able to loose about 2lbs right off the bat.

And a new build begins!
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009

stock as can be photos

"The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    Congrats!

Not something to worry about immediately (I don't think), but I remember reading how the early Trance frames had bearing issues. You might find this useful:

Trance bearings

When do I change bearings in my trance?

Trance Bearing replacement How To.

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Ya, I saw those. I'm going to replace them this coming winter. They'll be fine for right now though.
    Thanks.
    Mountain Riders

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Upgrades / swaps:
    Conti Mountain King 2.4 supersonics F+R - upgraded
    Ergon Race Mag - upgraded
    Shimano Deore XT RD - upgraded
    WTB mp250 clipless - swapped over
    Easton EA70 flat bar - swapped over - not sure about this one yet as I don't have enough ride time on this swap to decide, I may cut the EA30 riser bar down about 2-3".
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    6 to many sideway pics....I'm dizzy now.
    Regroup and just give me at least 1 full shot of your bike.

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    haha sorry about that they were the only ones I had until today. Here's a pic along the river.

Modified the upgrades and swaps a little bit.
    Currently running michelin XC AT 2.0's until my Conti's come in on Tuesday. Ended up swapping my old wheelset(TerraMax) onto the bike for the extra rim width. Switched back to the stock riser bar but cut it down to about 635mm. XT rear derailleur will go on Tuesday as well. I love the Ergons.
    Mountain Riders

Slower But Faster
    A set of Avid BB7 disk brakes would be a great upgrade and cost very little. Great deal on the bike especially considering the price of the Yukon.

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Next to come. Working on putting an XT set together. Got calipers and levers so far. Still need hoses and rotors.
    Had to do the Ergons first to try and alleviate some numbness I was getting. Worked great. My left hand doesnt get numb at all anymore and it took 10 miles for my right hand to start to get numb just a little bit but I think theres something underlying in my arm causing that.
    Last edited by zach.scofield; 05-17-2009 at 08:00 PM.
    Mountain Riders

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Upgrade to Deore XT rear derailleur complete.

Mountain Riders

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Updated photo w/ xt disc installation complete(minus a few zip ties)

Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    One sharp looking bike...good job.
    08 Trance X2

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Updated specs:
    Blue = current upgrades
    Red = currently building package

MODEL: Trance 4 - US
    SIZE: 18"
    COLOUR: Slate
    FORK: Marzocchi XC600 TST Micro 140mm
    SHOCK: Fox Float R(240gr)

WHEELS:
    FRONT HUB: Forte disc
    REAR HUB: Forte disc - about to grenade anyday, need a new hub!
    SPOKES: 14 Stainless Black - relacing rear w/ DT 2.0/1.8
    RIMS: Forte TerraMax 24.7mm
    F TIRE: Michelin XC AT 2.0 or Kenda Telonix 2.4 dtc
    R TIRE: Michelin XC AT 2.0 or Kenda Telonix 2.4 dtc
    SKEWERS: American Classic QR

STEM: Easton 105mm x 6
    BAR: Easton riser Cut 1" off each end(-20gr)
    GRIPS: Ergon Race L w/ Magnesium bar ends
    SADDLE: WTB Rocket V(300gr)
    HEADSET: FSA Ahead Integrated

F BRAKE: Shimano XT m765
    R BRAKE: Shimano XT m765
    ROTORS: Disco Brakes 160mm round
    LEVERS: Shimano XT m756
    CRANKSET: Truvativ FireX 22/32 w/ BBG Bash Guard
    PEDALS: Stock Plats and WTB mp250 - 260gr.
    CHAIN: Shimano w/ Sram gold connector
    FREEWHEEL: Sram stock

F DERAILLEUR: Shimano Deore LX(177gr)
    R DERAILLEUR: Shimano Deore XT m760 long cage
    F SHIFTER: Shimano Deore
    R SHIFTER: Shimano Deore
    OTHER: n/a

WEIGHT: around 32 or so

ADDITIONAL INFO (Any Extra comments / accessories):
    Rider: 240lbs, male
    Mostly aggressive XC / light AM and some Freeriding, 3-4' drops max, lots of rock climbing

UPGRADES TO COME SOON:
    lighter bar, lighter 70-90mm stem, lighter seatpost, new rear wheel!
    Last edited by zach.scofield; 06-23-2009 at 10:55 AM.
    Mountain Riders

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    so, I was curious as to how much affect adding the 140mm Marzocchi XC600 would have on the Trance as far as geometry goes.

Heres what I came up with:

Fork Height: 480mm to 507mm
    HA: 70.5 to 69.17 (-1.33 degrees)
    SA: 73.5 to 72.17 (-1.33 degrees)
    WB: 1084.58mm to 1093.9mm (+9.3mm)
    TT(effective): 589.28mm to 593.5mm (+4.3mm)
    BB Height: -10mm to 0mm (+10mm)
    Reach: 410.6mm to 397.1mm (-13.5mm)
    Stack: 575.2mm to 584.6mm (+9.4mm)

Compared to a 2005 reign 3:
    HA: r69.5 to 69.17(-.33)
    SA: r73.5 to 72.17(-1.33)
    WB: r1109.98 to 1093.9(-16.08mm)
    TT: r589.28 to 593.5(+4.22mm)
    Turns out to be slightly slacker in the head angle and quite a bit more slack in the seat angle while keeping a shorter wheelbase and an ever so slightly longer top tube.

Compared to a 2008 Kona Dawg
    HA: d68.2 to 69.17(+.97)
    SA: d71.7 to 72.17(+1.07)
    WB: 1092.2 to 1093.9mm (+1.7mm)
    TT: d604.52 to 593.5(-11.02mm)
    Having test rode the dawg I found that the head angle was just slightly slacker than I like. However I did prefer the seat angle over my trances. The numbers prove what I was thinking when I rode the bike.
    Last edited by zach.scofield; 06-23-2009 at 10:50 AM.
    Mountain Riders

XT_
    Eat your veggies
    May 2009
    Nice Bike! Now get out and ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i picked up the same frameset off cl the other day.

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMcC
    i picked up the same frameset off cl the other day.
    Nice, hope it builds well for you.
    Mountain Riders

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XT_
    Nice Bike! Now get out and ride
    only everyday!
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey Zach,

Nice bike. I have the same exact bike (same color) And same deal. Local LBS had some left overs and couldn't pass up the deal. I only really wanted the frame set.

Only things original is frame, seatpost and seat and handlebar (love wide bars!) Put a Zoco roco air 3pl, Shimano lx cranks with bashguard, Manitou minute elite 120mm
    Juicy 7 brakes, Mavic deetrack wheelset(I know super heavy but soo much fun!)
    It's a mini all mountain/FR bike now. Climbs like a billy goat but still bombs down stuff.

Let me know how you like that xc600 at 140mm? After riding the 120mm I wish I ponied up the 140mm version when I had the chance....

If I get off my lazy butt. I'll post pics someday...........

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    still waiting for the fork to come back from marz. It was a friends and came off his 08 dawg, who blew the tst2. Sent it in for warranty and marz is upgrading to the tst micro damper. Got a deal I couldn't pass up on it. It was basically brand new when the tst2 damper blew. I'll let you know how it rides.
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am 5'10" 220lbs and I ride the same bike. I too have upgraded the crap out of it. I have a minute 3 IT 130MM, Full 08 XT drive train, avid codes, mavic 325 rims with conti 2.4 MK converted to tubeless with stans. riding with 130mm up front is fine. I have taken this thing to Whistler and raced multiple XC races as well. I went to silver mt. in Idaho this weekend and now need a new seat post though... Oh, BTW those bearings at the top of the rear triangle love to blow I am about to order a second set from enduro seals.

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    can anyone describe the noise they make when they go? I am talking about the original bearings.
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How do you like those bar ends? I am thinking about picking up some for my Trance X0.

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    As for the bar ends... They are pretty nice. For out of the saddle sprinting they ROCK! Perfect size and positioning. It took a bit to get used to the shape of the bar end at first, it's a much more natural gripping shape than I was used to(used to use control tech shorty's).
    However,
    I haven't used them a whole lot on trails, mostly just on the road from trail to trail or on an occasional long fire road stretch. I do love the grips though and the combo really compliments itself. Would I recommend them? Absolutely.
    Mountain Riders

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Update on bike:
    Now running a Kenda Telonix 2.4 dtc on the front and a Kenda Excavator 2.35 dtc on the rear. WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Completely satisfied w/ this combo.

Considering stripping the paint and having something cusotm done this winter. Might look into a royal blue fade to brushed aluminum or white. Thoughts and opinions?
    Last edited by zach.scofield; 07-01-2009 at 05:46 PM.
    Mountain Riders

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast