mtbr member
    Oct 2007

is the new trance durable like the old trance?

i rode a trance.. and a trance x.. and honestly i liked everything about the way the normal trance handled! the trance x just felt weird..

ive heard of people running pikes on the older trances, overkill, but id like to run one about 120mm up front, and im about 200lbs.. im a smooth rider (raced bmx for years), but i do like to do the occasional jump here and there, and like flying downhill at speed. i know the trance x fits the bill better, but i just didnt like how it rode.

i rode a blur lt too, which was awesome, but significantly more expensive.. i do probably 80% xc/climbfest riding anyway, and liked the trance a lot. if you guys think the new regular trance would hold up, i think i might go that way instead.. i just dont want to be worrying about that other 20% of my riding thats a little rougher.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]The frames are both as strong as each other with the Trance and Trance X, just the angles and travel that is different really. So the Trance will hold up to a beating but I would say the Trance X fits your bill more because the angles and the travel are a little more suited to what you describe but it still climbs very well.

In short the Trance can take it but I would go with the X because it will do the job better and the stock rims on the ordinary Trance range will not take any kind of thrashing.

But it is your descision if you felt the X was a bit weird.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    im coming off a 130mm travel chameleon.. a rugged bike, but i think that still puts the HTA around 69.5-70 degrees. i liked the steering on that bike, i think i could live with a trance around 69.5 too (the 130mm would transfer over ) on paper everything about the trance x seems like exactly what i wanted, but there was just something weird about it.. maybe taking off some spacers on the HUGE head tube would help, but i dunno.. something just felt weird. im used to zero rear travel and 130mm up front, so i think i could live with 105 rear and 130mm front.

looks like you have both, you dont think the x sits up too straight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just move the spacers to the top or shorten the steerer. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    looks like you have both, you dont think the x sits up too straight?
    Yes I do but I canít fairly judge that because my dadís still running his stem far to high and his is a medium whereas mine is a large but I know there is a lot to be said for getting the sizing right and moving the stem down on the Trance X as mountainbiker24 said.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]I wouldnít personally put anything over 120mm travel on the ordinary Trance because of the angles and how high it would make the front compared to the back.
    [/SIZE][SIZE=3][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    Yes I do but I can’t fairly judge that because my dad’s still running his stem far to high and his is a medium whereas mine is a large but I know there is a lot to be said for getting the sizing right and moving the stem down on the Trance X as mountainbiker24 said.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]I wouldn’t personally put anything over 120mm travel on the ordinary Trance because of the angles and how high it would make the front compared to the back.
    [/SIZE][SIZE=3][/SIZE]

I just changed out my fork on my 05 Trance to a 140mm Manitou Minute with IT travel adjust. This forks may be the best thing I have done on the bike. The new fork replaces a 2007 Marz XC700 with ATA (90mm - 130mm) which is also a very nice fork, but it has regular drop outs, that makes the fork flex more. The XC700 weighs only 3.75lbs, so I thought I would try it. For regular XC it's good, but when the going gets rough, I found it was not stiff enough for my liking. Keep in mind I am around 190lb or so geared up and live in BC, so the XC is pretty aggressive.

The Minute fork with 20mm thru-axle makes the bike track though rough terrain much better. I picked up a set of Easton Havoc rims to run when the going gets rough and am building up a light setup with Hope 135x 10mm TA on the rear and 20mm up front. The Manitou IT travel adjust means I can slam it down to almost nothing for super steep climbs, run it between 100-120 for regular riding, and fully extend out to 140 for the super steep heading back down. All that and the fork still only weighs 3.95lbs.

I have though about a new Trance or Trance X frame and if a good deal comes along I might just do it, but for now I am very happy with the my newly refreshed Trance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    tried the trance x again.. raised the seat, adjusted it around.. just didnt feel right. maybe its just me, but it just doesnt feel right.

the regular trance rips though! i really like the regular trance, i was sold.. told the lbs owner i was ready to buy. no mediums. cant order mediums either! just my luck

thanks for the input everyone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    couldnt pass it up. 07 trance 1, all x9'd out, hayes 9's, reba race dual air, dt swiss wheels, rp2.. 1450 out the door.