mtbr member
    Feb 2005

New tires for Reign

My Bulldogs are done...good thing. Would appreciate some feedback on tires. Most of my riding is dry hardpack, some softer conditions, but looking for a good all round tire. Any comments? Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

tyres for reign

Turbo290, check out a thread i started a couple of months ago. I asked the same question. Ended up going for kenda nevegal 2.1 dtc. Great cornering grip and not too bad on the straights. Bought them off ebay $50 aussie i think, for the pair. The tthread is titled tyres for reign and down somewhwere on the 2nd page. Good luck

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo290
    My Bulldogs are done...good thing. Would appreciate some feedback on tires. Most of my riding is dry hardpack, some softer conditions, but looking for a good all round tire. Any comments? Thanks
    Been trying a few diff tyres on the front of the Reign. Tracks here are generally soft, with some hardpack.

2.1 Hutch Spider up front was better cornering than the Bulldog by a country mile (not difficult to achieve) but still not inspiring on roots, rocks, clay.

Nevegal 2.35 Stick-E was a vast improvement. V.good on most surfaces except the road, where it felt like lead, and clay mud where it packed up quick. Cornering, braking & off-camber sections are it's forte. Stick-E on the back would wear real quick, DTC compound would be a better bet.

Geax Lobo Loco 2.3 Sticky 55ShA compound. Much smaller volume and a bit lighter than the Nev's. (Casing width at 40psi was 50mm vs 54, casing height 47mm vs 51mm, tread width 55mm vs 59mm. 765g vs 800g. Both folding bead). The Geax hangs on nearly as well as the Nev on the front, rolls a lot better and doesn't pack up as easily.

Haven't finished putting the 'dogs out of their misery yet- still skidtime Keen to try the Lobo on the back and the Nev up front... I think that will be the perfect combo..
    Last edited by Haggis; 03-28-2006 at 03:15 AM.

MTB B'dos
    The KENDA Nevegals are really very sweet tyres, I have both the 1.95 DTC and the 2.1" Stick-E. I'd say go with the DTC compound no matter what size you go with as the DTC uses 2 diff compounds (harder centre and softer outer), but wouldn't advice going with anything smaller than the 2.1" version. They are high volume to me - the 2.1" is as big as other 2.2/2.3 tyres. If you have to ride on the road they won't last long 'cause they're super soft.
    Last edited by LyNx; 03-28-2006 at 03:21 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Kenda Nevegals I got the 2.1 sticke, and love them. The reign will fell like a different bike with them it will corner so much better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Nevegal

Nevegal Stick-E 2.1 (F&B) at 45 psi. For me 45 psi, works well on and off dirt. 40 or less was too slow, but the grip was even higher. 50 or more was a bit harsh with a little less grip, and it was actually slower on the road to the trail.

mtbr member

Tires

I like the Hutchison Bulldog 2.3 on the front 40 psi and the Maxxis Swamp Thing on the rear 2.2 (really more like 2.0) at 35 psi. Crazy grip and it takes rooty, rocky like velcro. It also handles moderate drops >4 1/2 foot great.

mtbr member

2.3 Vert pro fr 2.25 Cinder rear

So far so good. those bulldogs suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!