mtbr member
    Jan 2012

New Sun Ringle Back flags for the XTC 29er

Just arrived in the office...

VERY VERY nice... i'm not sure i want to even fit them !!!!

mtbr member
    Clean looking wheels. Let us know how they do!
    2012 Anthem X 29er in the build process
    2010 Diamondback Mission

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So, what information did we gain this afternoon you may ask... well... it was quite an intriguing afternoon.

Firstly, WOW.. Bontrager Mud X tubeless 29er tyres are HEAVY !!!!
    Secondly, WOW... they're also ****ing almost impossible to get on and off a rim !!!!!
    Thirdly, OH MY WORD... they're impossible to get on and off a Tubeless Sun Ringle rim. !!!! ARRRGGHHHH.

So, with the Sun Ringles, fitted with Bonty Mud X's... the weights were almost EXACTLY the same...
    With both sets of wheels fitted with the same tyres,.... the Sun Ringles were 250gr a piece lighter...
    With the Sun Ringles running the Maxxis Aspen and the Giant Wheels running the Bonty Mud X's.... the weight differnece was over 500gr a piece !!!

So all in all, the Sun Ringles are indeed lighter (and prettier)...

However, honestly, they're pretty much impossible to get the Mud X's fitted onto the Ringles... i was there for far longer and far more effort than i should be... and would accept out on the trail. This is simply because they're Tubeless ready, which means they have 2 lips/beads on the inside... However the tyre slips off the outer bead and onto the slightly lower more central bead... meaning you have to stretch the tyre a lot more to get it over and on. Putting the Mud-X onto the Giant wheels is pretty hard... but not a major task.

Conclusion to all of this is, the Giant wheels are my 'winter' wheels, running the Mud-X.. and will be used now.
    the Sun Ringles are my 'summer' wheels and will be used in summer with Maxxis Aspens...

Sheesh... that was fun !!!!