mtbr member
    May 2004

New Reign, yes or no?

I am in the market for a AM bike that still pedals very well. I went to Cycology in Cali and the guy suggested the Reign2. After looking at this bike, and researching it, I must say it is growing on me. I do wonder about the price. Would I be better off getting a Yeti or Prophet, Enduro or Coiler instead? This will be my first FS, been riding HT for 2 years. I am 21, 140-150lbs, 5 foot drops max and 5'11". I know these are all great bikes, but what would you Giants Experts recommend. I am 21 and a full time student supporting myself, could I get the Reign3 and slowly upgrade parts as I get the money to a Reign2 or would I be throwing geometries off too much? I really want a bike that will give me room to grow and experiment with parts.

Thanks in advance.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuner_Dude
    I am in the market for a AM bike that still pedals very well. I went to Cycology in Cali and the guy suggested the Reign2. After looking at this bike, and researching it, I must say it is growing on me. I do wonder about the price. Would I be better off getting a Yeti or Prophet, Enduro or Coiler instead? This will be my first FS, been riding HT for 2 years. I am 21, 140-150lbs, 5 foot drops max and 5'11". I know these are all great bikes, but what would you Giants Experts recommend. I am 21 and a full time student supporting myself, could I get the Reign3 and slowly upgrade parts as I get the money to a Reign2 or would I be throwing geometries off too much? I really want a bike that will give me room to grow and experiment with parts.

Thanks in advance.
    In terms of R2 vs. R3, if it is possible, go for the 2. Chances are, you will love the bike, and you will ride it hard. Some parts on the R3 leave something to be desired. The brakes are a good example. You wonder about the price, but to me it seems that Giant bikes are still one of the best values among the top brands. But value does not mean comprimise. I have been very pleased with my Giant purchases to date. Be sure to read as many reviews as you can. The ratings seem to be rather favourable.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the reply. I am heavily leaning towards the Reign2, How does the bike perform on small jumps, and dropoffs? How is the overall fork and shock feel and compatibility?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    there are some bargains to be had on the Reign2 at the moment.........the forks will need a harder spring, my buddy's had his the other day - he + I are very impressed with it, I'd buy one!!! Pedals well once you set the shock up and all the parts wont need upgardinfg for a long while.......I get the 2 rather than getting the 3 then upgrading it........search for a good deal = you will find one!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

don't get the Reign

If you ride a hardtail
    You will find the Reign extremely slow.
    It has a very long wheelbase, so it is not an agile bike,
    its head angle is also slacker than what you have on your hardtail, and will also make it slower steering.
    It is plush, very plush, but is heavy and,,,,,, once again not agile.
    The Trance will serve you better.

I own a Reign 1 and a self built Trance 1, so you better listen
    Sorry to say but a quick test will not reveal the personality of a bike.

Get the Reign if your trails are mostly downhills

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi! If i was you iīd go for the Reign 3, thatīs what i did, and when you got enough money you can slowly upgrade parts as I did. Also, in my opinion the Reign 3 frame color (2005 silver) itīs beautiful than the Reign 2 (2005 Green) The bike do it all well (as you can see on "Reign in action" post) the Swinger 3 is very sensible denpending on what presure you put on the possitive and negative air chamber. I change the fork for a Rock Shox Revelation and the crankset for a XT , and maybe soon i change the tires, and of course the brakes because itīs the worst part of the bike.

mtbr member
    I have a R1, the R2 seemed to be the best bang for the buck, but the deal I got on the R1 was too good to pass up.

It handles jumps, and small drops very well. Pedals well, but not as good as a ht.

I took a prophet out on several rides, and a run with the coiler, neither compared to the reign in my opinion.

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro
    If you ride a hardtail
    You will find the Reign extremely slow.
    It has a very long wheelbase, so it is not an agile bike,
    its head angle is also slacker than what you have on your hardtail, and will also make it slower steering.
    It is plush, very plush, but is heavy and,,,,,, once again not agile.

I own a Reign 1 and a self built Trance 1, so you better listen
    Sorry to say but a quick test will not reveal the personality of a bike.

Get the Reign if your trails are mostly downhills

Funny - I didn't see mention of what his hardtail it. He may have an urban hardtail, which can be more slack than the Reign. I am riding a 20" frameset, built with my group and a Z1 light. It is tall and slack, but it climbs like a goat on packed trail, or loose rock. I climb better than I did on any of my XC short travel bikes. Sorry to say, but I think you are wrong, and should learn more about a person's current bike and their style before you tell them to NOT get something. You have described the exact opposite of the way I feel my bike rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Got an 06 Reign 2,its a good bike.Climbs great and goes down even better,very well balanced. Pleased with my purchase,best bike Ive ever owned and ive owned a bunch.Anyone says it cant climb should look under the hood,something is wrong with the motor.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Do you know what type of bike this person is riding and what his type of riding is to recommend the Reign???????
    I am sharing a true and honest experience. My previous bikes were 4 to 5" travel bikes and I still found the "stock" Reign lethargic. Not pedalling wise, or climbing but for trails with lots of change in direction, horizontally and vertically.
    I have not given up on the Reign yet, I find its rear suspension to be everything I have always wanted as far as rear suspension is concerned. I am going to try making it fit me better (make it more agile). Flat handlebars, shorter front shock 130mm, smaller size frame, high volume 2.1 tires, oh and get rid of the inverted trigger shifter rear derailleur, it just does not work fast enough for me. Will get twist shifters, sram X.O

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuner_Dude

Thanks in advance.
    FWIW Performance cycles are (were?) blowing out their entire line of Giant bikes. I picked up an 05 Reign3 for $900.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I ride tight,twisty,rooty,rocky north New Jersey woods,singletrack.Handles plenty quick for me.Just got to get rid of the stock tires,they were NG.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

The Reign is my first FS bike

I visited my LBSs several times to look at FS bikes, and I read about the various bikes in the mags and on the web. My previous bike was a light Stumpy M2 Comp (hard tail).

After all of the research, I decided that I would purchase a Trance 1. I went to the LBS to really test ride (not just around the parking lot) the bike (they have a bad dirt road with lots of pot holes and etc. behind the shop) I liked the Trance, but then I rode the Reign, which they were touting. I did not have the opportunity to test ride them on trails, but the bad road was enough for me.

I ordered the Reign 1, and everytime I ride it on a trail I am pleased with my choice. While I am riding the road to get to the trail I miss my HT, but on dirt I have no regrets. The only change to my bike (so far) is that I put Kenda Nevegals on it.

Based on my experience, I would test ride and decide for yourself.

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro
    He mentions doing 5 foot drops, so a trance is probably not the best idea. The Reign will certainly handle 5 foot drops easily (I've done 8 foot to flat on my Reign 1 without a problem).

As for Tuner_Dude's question regarding buying the R2 or the R3 and upgrading, it is simply an issue of money--the frames are the exact same, so you don't have to worry about geometry. The difference is components. You will spend less money overall if you opt for the pricier R2. If you buy the R3, you will spend more in the long run upgrading it to be equal to the R2, however, you will spend less initially. If you can swing it, I would buy the R2 so that you will save money. But if you can't afford it all at once, the R3 will be a great start, and you can upgrade as you can afford it.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    Funny - I didn't see mention of what his hardtail it. He may have an urban hardtail, which can be more slack than the Reign. I am riding a 20" frameset, built with my group and a Z1 light. It is tall and slack, but it climbs like a goat on packed trail, or loose rock. I climb better than I did on any of my XC short travel bikes. Sorry to say, but I think you are wrong, and should learn more about a person's current bike and their style before you tell them to NOT get something. You have described the exact opposite of the way I feel my bike rides.

classic, some people describe the raign as too slack, too slugish. i have one bike now, a 41+ pound stinky dell lux and looking at the reign for AM, i'm worried about too STEEP head angle. its 69 (stinky is 66.5). its not slack at all. i also currently drag my stinky up 4000 foot climbs

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Hope hmmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by elliott_s
    I visited my LBSs several times to look at FS bikes, and I read about the various bikes in the mags and on the web. My previous bike was a light Stumpy M2 Comp (hard tail).

After all of the research, I decided that I would purchase a Trance 1. I went to the LBS to really test ride (not just around the parking lot) the bike (they have a bad dirt road with lots of pot holes and etc. behind the shop) I liked the Trance, but then I rode the Reign, which they were touting. I did not have the opportunity to test ride them on trails, but the bad road was enough for me.

I ordered the Reign 1, and everytime I ride it on a trail I am pleased with my choice. While I am riding the road to get to the trail I miss my HT, but on dirt I have no regrets. The only change to my bike (so far) is that I put Kenda Nevegals on it.

Based on my experience, I would test ride and decide for yourself.
    How about that..........many ways to "skin a cat"
    Guess bike choice depends on personal preferences and intended use, opinions from those of us experienced with the related equipment helps the inquirer figure out his reality.....

MTB B'dos
    Hopefully you've browsed the "Any Reign Action Shots" sticky thread and read and seen all the posts from happy Reign owners - by all I've read I think it's an excellent AM bike. The Trance comes fairly close to AM, but isn't designed to take anything over 3ft on a regular basis (it could if you were smooth, but you'd be pushing it)

If you've riden the Reign and like how it rides and the weight doesn't sem like too much (for what it's designed for and the price it's at a pretty good weight) then go with what you can afford, but remember it will always be cheaper to buy a complete bike cheaper than to build one piece by piece (since big manufacturers get serious discounts on stuff).

I can honestly say that I am totally pleased w/ my Trance, it has served me very well in the just over 1 year/ 3,000 miles that I've had it and I do consider it all mountain once there's no 3ft+ drops to be done (not that I've done anything over 2ft I basically now have it up and in some cases beyond T2 specs ('cause they had no T2's available for another 3 months when I was looking) and have spent more than if I had bought a T2 straight up, but I picked the parts I have on now personally and they're exactly what I wanted.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrutis
    I ride tight,twisty,rooty,rocky north New Jersey woods,singletrack.Handles plenty quick for me.Just got to get rid of the stock tires,they were NG.
    Did you get your bike at Cycle Works in Byram? I'm considering a Trance or Reign purchase, as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just bought a 2007 reign 2, it's bloody marvelous! I started riding 3 years ago and bought a Trek 4300 hardtail, as things broke i upgraded, but my riding started getting a little too much for the old girl. I weigh 15 stone so i don't think the extra couple of Lbs the Reign 2 weighs over the Trance 2 makes any difference for someone like me, infact, for anyone except a die hard racer. The reign takes takes my riding to places that i didn't think i could go, it's turning me into a freeride-lite kinda guy. I'm hitting sections a lot faster than I thought i ever could. Regarding the slack headset and long wheelbase, i am a big beefy guy and i can manhandle the bike. If you are a lighter rider but like the idea of a reign, go for the smalest frame you feel comfortable on, and just hit things hard and enjoy your bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blindbilly
    Just bought a 2007 reign 2, it's bloody marvelous!

How did you get a 2007?
    If you do have a 2007, can you list the specs please?
    Thanks!
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    HI, Bought it in the UK, I think Giant release there new models around about now, but they are running short on stocks, for spec go to giant website and look at current range lineup (i.e mine has pierced down tube and not the basket arrangement for mounting the shock, oh and shock is Fox RP3 not manitou 3 way

mtbr member
    OK, sounds like the 2006 specs.
    A buddy of mine is dying to see the specs on the 2007 US bikes, as am I as we're all considering Reign's.
    Cheers.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

squish is good
    I bought a Reign, and it leaves nothing to be desired as a XC bike in my opinion. It leaves very little to be desired as a downhill IMHO as well, I love mine, but I'm probably biased because of that. It's almost a negligible difference climbing-wise compared to my hardtail and the downhill capabilities are not even comparable.