jeb
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Is the new Reign a good trailbike ????

Hi

I tried the trance x, loved it, very stable, no bobbing, but i would like a bit more travel
    on the rear....

I ride a blur LT, and ride fast technical singletrack, and a some climbing

Is the new Reign the ticket???

How does it feel ??

Big hit capabillity ?

Thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

mtbr member
    Simple answer...(cant believe Im answering this) YES, definitely good...and better than most. But its a niche advent aswell!

How does it feel ??

Big hit capabillity ?
    I guess to answer you simply and sequentially:

1) That depends on many factors but in a nutshell..."Yes", it is the ticket. It handles almost anything and mine has even graced the race genre with the older 06 model in DH races, that have wins. But we are not talking stock parts of course.
    2) You should do a test ride with a bike that has been set up correctly and NOT in the CPark if you can at all help it.
    3) Well of course it is not a big hit bike and was never designed as one, nor is it marketed as one either. But it really depends on skill level, whether or not it has BHit capability as you put it. You can really push this bike and I have as well as many others on this forum and many others, it really is a very diverse bike and depending on how you set it up and dress it up with various parts, it can be VERY good in specific realms.

But my advice is get a varied and wide opinion and really do not take too much sway in what the various trolls may wish you to think and really stay clear and do not listen to any of the brand-hores or various elitist-faries either. Just get the simple facts and apply them to your needs...YOUR needs, not the needs of others.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'll assume that you have the gen 1 BLT. If that is the case it is a worthy upgrade. It cannot be had stateside frame only so you must pick one up complete.

The 1st gen BLT had too much pedal kickback and more dependant on pedaling / chain tension for design to work (ie less plush).

I have never understood why the Giant Reign gets very little love over a Mojo, Santa Cruz, Intense, or other types of suspension designs. It works great and really does not have an achillies heel.

Good Luck-

Rob

jeb
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    Simple answer...(cant believe Im answering this) YES, definitely good...and better than most. But its a niche advent aswell!

I guess to answer you simply and sequentially:

1) That depends on many factors but in a nutshell..."Yes", it is the ticket. It handles almost anything and mine has even graced the race genre with the older 06 model in DH races, that have wins. But we are not talking stock parts of course.
    2) You should do a test ride with a bike that has been set up correctly and NOT in the CPark if you can at all help it.
    3) Well of course it is not a big hit bike and was never designed as one, nor is it marketed as one either. But it really depends on skill level, whether or not it has BHit capability as you put it. You can really push this bike and I have as well as many others on this forum and many others, it really is a very diverse bike and depending on how you set it up and dress it up with various parts, it can be VERY good in specific realms.

But my advice is get a varied and wide opinion and really do not take too much sway in what the various trolls may wish you to think and really stay clear and do not listen to any of the brand-hores or various elitist-faries either. Just get the simple facts and apply them to your needs...YOUR needs, not the needs of others.

Thanks for the answers

I cant testride it, because no one is stocking it here in copenhagen, Denmark :-(

I was wondering dois it climbs in the same manner as the trance X ???

jesper

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Giant isn't based in America, and hasn't had the exposure of "American" bike companies. The magazines always rave about a bike they like while testing it, then forget about it unless it is a Santa Cruz, Titus, or Specialized. I think it has more to do with how frequently they test a company's bike and which bikes they have owned in the past. Biased or not, everybody's human. I own a Giant, so I'll recommend Giant to everybody, even though there are a lot of bikes that I have never test-ridden.

mtbr member
    While I am not comparing an XC bike to an AM bike...but yes, it does climb as good as the Trance X. The Reign is a very excellent bike if you find yourself doing alot of climbing and all day epic rides that has more ability to also ride down the mountain with the smile factor still inplace...with the added knowledge that you have not been ripped by marketing hype to buy some high end bike that is too intense for you in the given scenario and for what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by jeb
    Thanks for the answers

I cant testride it, because no one is stocking it here in copenhagen, Denmark :-(

I was wondering dois it climbs in the same manner as the trance X ???

jesper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeb
    Hi

I tried the trance x, loved it, very stable, no bobbing, but i would like a bit more travel
    on the rear....

I ride a blur LT, and ride fast technical singletrack, and a some climbing

How does it feel ??

Big hit capabillity ?

Thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well I haven't heard anyone mention it before but you could alter a Trance X to have more travel. You could swap the rear shock 7.25 x 1.75 to a 7.5 x 2.0 which would change the rear travel to 5.7". Geo would steepen but then you could run a 140mm fork as well which would reset the HA back to original spec. Only caveat would be a higher BB height but that might not nec be a bad thing. I think OEM height is around 13.25". You could probably add a 140mm fork with the Headset Externalizer. Get the HA around 68.5 deg with a BB height of 13.75". That's a pretty sweet spec IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    that would basically make a steep angled half assed reign.. might as well get the reign.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    that would basically make a steep angled half assed reign.. might as well get the reign.
    Not "everybody" considers 68.7 deg as steep.The HA would be slightly less than 69 deg. Leverage ratio would be less than 3:1 as well. The first gen Reigns had a 69.5 deg HA. 2008 Reigns was 69 deg. My mod would make it a little slacker than a 08' Reign and the Trance X frame is lighter than the Reign. So for the weight weenies and lighter riders it is a option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the reign isnt heavy though.. actually its very light.

trance x is 69.5 setup with 5 out back and 120mm up front. you push the bike to about 70.2 with 5.7 out back and 120mm up front. it drops back to about 69.8 going to 140mm.. drops maybe to 69.4ish with the 15mm externalizer.. your leverage ratio changes since you're not changing the shock lever.

so you've got a 5.7 inch bike with what sort of amounts to a 155mm fork, with a 69.5 hta.. if you're a weight weeny, probably dont want to be on a 6 inch bike anyway?

MTB B'dos
    Although I haven't ridden one, I would say Sim2U is right. As with the Trance you can either build the Reign up light as a great all round bike that climbs like a goat or as a more burly light FR type bike. although I haven't ridden one I know several people who own them and have been very happy with them set up on the more burly side to take the rougher stuff. have no clue as ot how well the LT1 pedals, but I know the Maestro works fantastic.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    the reign isnt heavy though.. actually its very light.

trance x is 69.5 setup with 5 out back and 120mm up front. you push the bike to about 70.2 with 5.7 out back and 120mm up front. it drops back to about 69.8 going to 140mm.. drops maybe to 69.4ish with the 15mm externalizer.. your leverage ratio changes since you're not changing the shock lever.

so you've got a 5.7 inch bike with what sort of amounts to a 155mm fork, with a 69.5 hta.. if you're a weight weeny, probably dont want to be on a 6 inch bike anyway?
    I don't agree with your math. 20mm is widely accepted as changing HA 1 deg. If changing shock puts you at 70.2 then changing fork to 140mm puts you at 69.2. Adding the externalizer (15mm) would put you under 69 deg. And yes changing shock stroke changes leverage ratio. 5.7"/2.0 = 2.85 to 1. Anyway If you don't want to agree that it's a option. Good for you. But it is an option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Although I haven't ridden one, I would say Sim2U is right. As with the Trance you can either build the Reign up light as a great all round bike that climbs like a goat or as a more burly light FR type bike ...
    I would also agree that the Reign makes an excellent trailbike. I have 2008 Reign it works great. I can compare it with a number of similar bikes and so far am liking what it can do. I previously owned Trance and Reign (2005 model), IH MK III (2005 and 2007 models) and now have the 2008 Reign.

The old Reign and Trance frames were heavier but still rode very nice. Not certain if it is the extra travel, Trance to Reign, but the new Reign handles sharp, bumps at lower speed (roots, rocks, logs ...) much better than the 2005 Trance. It's been a while since I was on the 2005 Reign so my memory is getting foggy, but I do remember is was quite plush, but perhaps didn't pedal as well as the newer Reign. This could be attributed to change in linkages or maybe better forks and shocks.

The IH MKIII was also an excellent bike, pedalled very well and absorbed bumps very nicely. The MK III seemed to take the bigger hits as good as the Reign but had 1 inch less travel, it didn't ride over lower speed bumps such as logs, roots, and rocks as well. Again the extra inch of travel on the Reign is likely the difference.

One other thing I like about the new Reign the lack of any pedal feedback. I owned a first generation Nomad, setup for FR and it definately had lots of pedal feedback in the granny ring.

That said all the above bikes are wonderful. There are always trade-offs such as more travel vs less weight, efficient pedalling vs small bump compliance. The new Reign as a long-legged XC / AM bike so far has been the best for me. I don't know if I would want to FR it like my Iron Horse 6Point but for everything else the Reign can do it.

Good luck on your bike choice. You really can't go wrong with all the nice bikes out there.
    Last edited by rideitall; 04-20-2009 at 10:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    I don't agree with your math. 20mm is widely accepted as changing HA 1 deg. If changing shock puts you at 70.2 then changing fork to 140mm puts you at 69.2. Adding the externalizer (15mm) would put you under 69 deg. And yes changing shock stroke changes leverage ratio. 5.7"/2.0 = 2.85 to 1. Anyway If you don't want to agree that it's a option. Good for you. But it is an option.
    5.7/2 = 2.85. 5.0/1.75 = 2.85. the links provide the leverage on the shock.. its not really a matter of agreeing or not, the bike determines the leverage ratio.

if you add a 1/4 inch shock travel to a 2.85 ratio bike, you'll always get 0.7 inches of travel. doesnt matter if you have a 1 inch stroke or a 4 inch stroke. 1/4 inch is about 18mm of added travel.

mtbr member
    5.7/2 = 2.85. 5.0/1.75 = 2.85. the links provide the leverage on the shock.. its not really a matter of agreeing or not, the bike determines the leverage ratio.

if you add a 1/4 inch shock travel to a 2.85 ratio bike, you'll always get 0.7 inches of travel. doesnt matter if you have a 1 inch stroke or a 4 inch stroke. 1/4 inch is about 18mm of added travel.
    My bad, your right about the LR. I still disagree about your HA assessment. My LR mistake aside, With my mod, The Trance X has approximately the same HA and almost the same travel as an Ibis Mojo and a Turner 5spot. And is lighter than a Reign. Just cause you personally don't see why someone would want to do this does nothing to diminish it's possibility. So I guess I'll agree to disagree.
    Last edited by wormvine; 04-20-2009 at 07:28 PM.