Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New rear shock for Giant Reign?

I have a '12 Reign 2 with the Fox RP3 on it from the factory. My only complaint with the shock (as I find is a common theme) is that the bike flies through the shock stroke like nothing I've ever ridden before. I'm 6' and 200lb geared, and I'm finding that I have to set the shock at 220psi in order to get anything less than 40% sag. Even at that high of pressure, I'm still bottoming the shock out every ride.

With that said, I want to get a new 2.25" stroke shock, but I'm not sure what is working for others who may have this same issue... I'm not opposed to using a coil, but I do climb a lot with this bike, as I definitely use it more on the lighter side of what it was designed for (although it does see it's fair share of drops and jumps on occasion). I am considering the vivid air, monarch RC3, DHX RC4 coil, or DHX5 air. My primary concern is keeping the small bump compliance that the RP3 gets me, but with a much higher end-stroke compression rate to prevent bottoming out on the bigger stuff. Does that make sense? Is it possible to get the best of both worlds without constantly fiddling with settings?

Thanks for any help in advance.

mtbr member
    I think most people are going to say "send it to push" or similar company. Have you tried putting more air into it to get the sag set up correctly?
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    I've had it as high as 235lb before my shock pump simply says 'no mas'. Even after sag is set properly though, I'm still having bottoming issues. I dunno, maybe I'm just a brute, but I don't think I'm that heavy to be having blow-through issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I believe the frame is deisgned to easily blow through its initial part of travel on the shock and then ramp up near the end. Because of this you will find that although you use plenty of the shock travel you will almost never completely bottom it out. This of course gives the bike its plush and almost limitless feeling of travel.

If you are wanting to set the shock up for more Uphill duties, add the recomended amount of air to the shock for you weight and slow the rebound. With the maestro design the frame has you shouldnt notice much pedal induced bob on you climbing anyway.

If the above is not enough for you can you want to swap out the shock, get a RP23 or Monarch RT3 with a factory set medium compression and rebound (actually i think you can even by shims for your existing shock to do this). A high compression might be too much and ruin the nice suspension feeling the frame has.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I switched from a RP23 on my Reign to a Monarch Plus RC3, medium tune. Has a nice felt doesn't blow through the travel as much as the RP23. The RP23 seems to be very finicky in terms of setup. Too little air and you blast through the travel, especially on bigger hits or g-outs. Too much are and the the small bumps are not absorbed by deflected. Get it right and it feels pretty good.

My early impression of the Monarch RC3 after eight to ten rides, is that is performs equally well as a nicely setup RP23 (mine was tuned for my weight and the bike), on small bump feel but manages to keep from blowing through the travel or feeling harsh on the bigger hits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by golfduke View Post
    I've had it as high as 235lb before my shock pump simply says 'no mas'. Even after sag is set properly though, I'm still having bottoming issues. I dunno, maybe I'm just a brute, but I don't think I'm that heavy to be having blow-through issues.
    Pay to check the shock against another Reign at your LBS.Use the same pressure and see how much sag you get. Itś not uncommon for the Rp23 to have low IFP pressure[ internal nitrogen] as a defect from new. Symptoms are using too much air pressure to set the sag and a soft wallowy ride.
    Ive had good good success replacing a few Rp23ś with Rt3ś. The result is slightly firmer pedalling action but uses more travel. Gives overly progressive suspension a more linear feel. Not the ticket for the Reign. Use low volume can or at least a med compression tune.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Switch to a low volume air sleeve in the shock you already have...problem solved

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Listening to your specific requirements: get a coil. And do yourself a favor and get a coil with the 2.25" stroke (makes rear travel ~7" instead of 6).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Listening to your specific requirements: get a coil. And do yourself a favor and get a coil with the 2.25" stroke (makes rear travel ~7" instead of 6).
    Can Reign riders on a 2011 or 2012 model provide any feed back on how the bike feels/handles with a rear shock change to 2.25'' stroke, i believe it changes travel to 6.7. I was thinking of upgrading to a new RP23 with a longer stroke so any feed back would be great.
    Life's too short to be soft

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2011 View Post
    Can Reign riders on a 2011 or 2012 model provide any feed back on how the bike feels/handles with a rear shock change to 2.25'' stroke, i believe it changes travel to 6.7. I was thinking of upgrading to a new RP23 with a longer stroke so any feed back would be great.
    I personaly havent made the change to a 2.25" stroke, but everyone I have talked to who has LOVES it. I have heard of a few people who have had to make a few tweaks to their front derailer, but no horror stories....
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    You can tune your rp23 at home for free to fix this problem. The air can needs to be shimmed to increase the ramp up for the last 3rd of the stroke. Maestro provides very little bottom out control and the air can they spec'd on them stock creates the problems your having for mid to large size riders. Google rp23 shim on mtbr and you'll find lots of info.

If you do replace it, there's is absolutely no reason no to go 2.25. There are no drawbacks, everything plays well you just get additional travel. Be cautious of the coil, the reigns 3 to 1 leverage ratio doesn't always play nicely with coils. At 215 lbs, I had to use a 700 lb coil to get reasonable sag and pedaling performance. And again, with the lack of bottom out control, 700 was just enough to keep from bottoming out. I'd strongly recommend an rc3 or even an rt3 I had excellent results after shimming.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am using 2.25 DHX air 5 on my 2011 reign and I love it! It works great and there is no problem with bottom out if you drop or jump. It will not change your geometry because same lenght of the shock.
    I ride 170mm Lyrik on front and it has changed the geometry but still feels like a balanced bike, no problem with climbing

mtbr member
    The reign is lovely with a coil and if was your weight that is the way I would go. It will really solve that mid stroke blow through. Push can of course tune the RP3 to assist in that, but I never solved it on my older one with air. Soon as I put a push'd coil on it set up for the bike, rider weight it came alive and made for some of the best suspension I've tried on a bike to date.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    if you want to put on a rockshox monarch or monarch plus, the air can may hit the frame when bottomed out. my Monarch plus knocked some paint off the frame already. I ended up putting some nylon shims inside the shock to solve the problem.

mtbr member

NONONONo! get a different shock pump!

235 is way low for your weight! Your fox air can is rated for 300 psi max, I weigh 235 in gear and run 275 or so on my 2011 reign. My shock pump goes to 300 psi.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    anyone know what tune and can size to get for a Monarch Plus rc3 on a Reign X? From the Rockshox charts I should get a high compression tune, but I see some people get away with a Medium tune just fine.. not sure about can size thou..

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    7.875x2.25. Folks usually go with mid-tune even though rockshox's leverage ratio chart specs out a high tune.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks, and regular air can, not HV, right?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Is it because it's hard to get a high tune?

mtbr member
    I can't answer that. I know that I have the fox boostvalve, which is essentially HV, and I dislike it, hence my starting of this thread.

I also have a question- What size spring should I get considering my rider weight of around 200lb? I have to pick one, and I'd at least like to be in a close ballpark to try it out before investing in 4 or 5 different spring weights.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For the spring you can use tftunedshox.com/info/spring_calculator.aspx, if you do change to a 2.25 shock, between the 550 and 600 you should be good.. I have a 450 spring with 76kg and I fit between 450 and 500. The bike's pretty plush and I never bottomed out with a Van R, but I haven't hit drops bigger than 3 feet..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    For my Reign I have a Monarch Plus RC3 with a medium tune and LV air can. I run 30% sag and typically leave the compression damping wide open. For my taste I would not want to run a high compression tune.

If I could have got the 2.25 stroke RC3+ at the same cost as what I paid I would have. I still might consider running the HV can to see if it adds to the feel. Could likely run slighly less sag and even make the beginning of stroke feel better.

Overall, I would take this stock med tune LV RC3+ over the tuned RP23 that was on the bike previously.

cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi all,

Owner of a '08 Riegn 0 i was never convinced about how work the stock DHX air 4.0 shock. I was looking to replace it with a Monarch, because of the price for sure, but first of all because it seems that it's working well on the Maestro suspension.

I didn't made the change until now because I was looking to find a High compression tuned Monarch RT3, but here in Switzerland it's not available and must be special tuned.

I've read here that the Monarch Plus RC3 with LV air can medium tune is working very well on the Reign. What's the feeling compared to a standard, "blow through the travel", shock ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Samos

As I had mentioned, I have a LV medium tune and pretty much run it wide open at 30-35% sag. I wouldn't want to have a high tune. Way too much compression damping.

Just my opinion after riding the shock for a month or so now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What kind of terrain are you biking ? Are you an aggressive rider or not ? Think I'll go for a medium tune and if needed I will tune it. Did you try a RT3 too ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast