mtbr member
    Jan 2012

New to me - 2009 Giant XtC 2

I recently bought a used 2009 Giant XtC 2 from Craigslist. I did my research on this bike before I went to look at it, and figured it was what I was looking for based on the components and I'm an entry level beginner rider. Well, when I looked at it it had different components than what was spec'd on various websites that I've seen. Specifically, the derailleurs have been switched out. The websites all have SRAM X.5 on it, but it had a $20 Shimano Altus actually on it. I couldn't find a name on the front derailleur. And the cassette is black, not silver like in the pics I've seen. I think there are 7 speeds x 3 = 21? Also the crank set doesn't have a name on it, that I've seen yet. The front shock (broken lockout) and disk brakes are the same as spec'd. Everything else looked fine, the frame is in excellent condition, brakes work good, and it shifts easy.
    I rode it for a few miles last night (not on a trail) and it rode great, even going over curbs. I figured I could upgrade the derailleurs when needed.
    I talked the guy down from $350 to $250 because of the switched out parts.

So my questions are....
    1. In your opinion, is this a good price for a Giant with those components?
    2. If I ever was to upgrade the derailleurs, is that even possible on this bike?
    3. Do I have to upgrade both at once, or can I do each separately? Do I have to change out the whole system (derailleurs, cassette, and shifter)?
    4. What is a good derailleur for an entry level person? Should I go back with a SRAM X5 or X7, or something different like a Shimano Deore XT or SLX?

Sorry for the noob questions!

mtbr member
    1. Would say that $250 isn't a bad deal for a ~4 y/o whole bike.

2. Derailleurs can be changed when broken or when you want, just make sure that your shifters are compatible with them.

3. Can be replaced one by one but will recommend to change the cassette and chain at the same time. Derailleurs and shifters can be changed at different times.

4. You could go Shimano Deore upfront and SRAM X5 (or better) or Shimano SLX (or better) on the rear. Just make sure that is you go SRAM your shifters are SRAM and the same with Shimano, the only place where you can mix SRAM and Shimano is on the front derailler, the pull ratio on the rear is different making them incompatible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the good advice!

mtbr member
    so to expand a little bit more from a shop mechanic stand point, also, i have the same bike in the alliance. so i would say that this bike can take you from beginner to advanced with just upgrades. your cassette sounds like to could be a "freewheel" type (diff hub then a cassette type) so you may need new wheels to go to 9 speed. my advice is to do it in small sets of parts, wheel and 7 speed cassette, derailleurs (non speed spc. just need to set high and low limit set screws acord.) when you want to go to nine speed you will need to spend a bit of cash cassette, shifters, chain (chainrings?).
    could end up being a really nice bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just an update to my bike...
    Decided to keep the bike and do the upgrades... I purchased pretty much everything from blueskycycling, cheap prices although not in box stuff.

I know a lot more about bikes now since I first posted this, back then I knew it was a frame with two wheels.

I've put 100+ road miles on it, as I used it pretty much every other day riding to go eat somewhere or just to ride around. I've also taken it off trail multiple times and am very pleased by the bike. I've went through deep mud puddles, launched from 3' drop offs, to jumping plenty of roots, and winding through many trails.

My girlfriend has a Trek 3500 and that thing is a tank. She crashes all the time, but that thing takes a licking and keeps on ticking (I'm talking about the bike). Comparing the weight of her bike to mine, her's feels 10lbs heavier. Not really 10, but it is much heavier, I can tell just by lifting the back seat.

The frame is pretty much original on the bike. I like it, no complaints.
    I've left the seatpost, seat, stem, bars, tires, and front wheel as is... As in whatever has been switched (or not switched out) by the previous owner has been fine with me.
    I've upgraded:
    Shimano SLX HG61 Cassette 9-Speed
    Shimano Deore M592 Shadow Rear Derailleur
    Shimano Deore M590 Shifter Pods
    Shimano Deore LX M571 Brake Levers
    Race Face Ride XC X Type Crankset
    Shimano Deore Disc Rear Wheel W/Sun Rhyno Lite Rim
    I tried to install all of these myself, but had to take it to my LBS to finish up the job. They added a SRAM chain after I messed up the new Shimano one I bought.
    Parts and install cost me... $350

Total - $250 for the bike +$350 in parts = $600.

I need to put on still:
    Shimano Deore XT M772 Front Derailleur for another $40 installed.

At $650 with these components, I feel like I have a pretty strong bike. Especially when I compare everything to another bike at this price range at a LBS.

Any opinions? Either on the upgrades or anything else?

What should I do next?

Gumnut Peddler
    To be honest I think what you should do next is ride it.
    Ride it a heap. Build up your skills to the point where they are better than the bike.

I would also keep an eye out for a wheelset that is lighter, and possibly tubeless.

Lighter wheelset means less rolling mass = faster bike for the same amount of effort. Again this is something you will appreciate more with the more distance you have put down on the Giant.

Maybe you could also think about adding a few other things to your riding list that are not components for your bike.

Some things I would suggest are as follows (you may have these already).

Gloves
    Hydration Pack
    Pump
    Repair Kit
    Simple/Useful tools
    Light - if you plan on doing more early morning/late afternoon rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for suggesting!
    I've actually rode it a lot with these components. It's just been a while since I've posted. I was just updating my thread.
    I decided not to mention the other items as they are kinda obvious to riders. Wanted to keep it strictly bike related.

Gloves - Got 2 pairs
    Hydration Pack - Water Bottle has been good enough
    Pump - Gf has one and it sux
    Repair Kit - Got this covered
    Simple/Useful tools - Got this covered too, but more is always better
    Light - I have 4 on my bike, more is always better here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    the first thing that should of been done would be to post pics of it.. sheesh

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoots View Post
    the first thing that should of been done would be to post pics of it.. sheesh
    My bad! Here are some of the before...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    nice!