mtbr member

Good job! New King Headset for Giants

Don't know if this has already been posted, but Chris King is going to have a new headset out called the InSet that should fit the anthem, trance, reign, etc.

Here's the link: http://chrisking.com/headsets/hds_inset

All I can say is that I'm stoked. I've been wanting a King headset for awhile, but they didn't make anything to fit the trance.

Cameron
    [SIZE="4"]Go Big or Go Home[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    That's good to hear, thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    giant has gone years without king headsets.. seriously, how many people do you see complaining about their headsets? damn near no one.. well except king owners with damaged forks from the crappy o-ring design.

stick with cane creek for 1/3rd the price for a better headset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'd buy a Cane Creek 110 first if I wanted to bling up my bike.

mtbr member
    From Chris King announcement in the above link:

"Further, InSet™ has been chosen by the Giant Mountain Bike Team as official team equipment for the 2009 season."

Guess this means that Giant endorses King's new headset.
    Never cross a river because it is on average 4 feet deep.

Formerly of Kent
    No, it means King gave them a lot of them for free, or paid them, in addition to giving them free headsets.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You have been able to use a Chris King headset on a Giant for years. You just have to ask them for the headset reducers that fit inside the headtube. This makes the frame compatable with any external type headset.

mtbr member

How to spec a headset for a Giant Trance-X

When the day comes for me to replace my headset, I'd like to be prepared.

So, how would I go about spec'ing a replacement headset for a Giant TX? What are the relevant distinguishing characteristics and dimensions I need to know about the TX's headtube that will enable me to browse the multiple offerings from FSA, CC, KG, Hope, etc and choose an appropriate headset? Is "cup depth" a rider preference or a fixed dimension required by Giant for the TX? If a longer "cup depth" is desired, is reaming to that depth required? Questions, questions? Anyone got answers?
    Never cross a river because it is on average 4 feet deep.

mtbr member
    +1 for King's being overpriced and overhyped.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ok now I am completely confused. I dont know if any of you saw the link that was embedded in a paragraph about internal headsets. But here it is http://chrisking.com/tech/int_headse..._hds_explain_1. Maybe I read it wrong I did kinda scan over it but it seems like they are saying that a internal headset is just a flat out inferior design. But even if it was why would they bother to make a product then write several pages about the design is flawed. I hope i misinterpreted what they had to say I just picked up trance x.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    giant uses SEMI integrated headsets... zerostack's.

what chris king is talking about with fully integrated headsets is where the bicycles non replacable headtube is actually the bearing race.. the bearings themselves wear ON the headtube, on a machined raced. damage the race, bike is trashed.

on a giant.. its only semi integrated, so a bearing race presses into the head tube, as a replaceable item.. makes for a stiff, strong, long lasting bicycle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well thats good to hear I just got my trance x built up the other day and I love it. Things are going so well I was halfway expecting to find out something bad or to find the achilles heel of the bike.

mtbr member
    http://chrisking.com/tech/int_headse..._hds_explain_5

That's what Chris King has to say about integrated "zerostack" headsets. According to them: "Either way, the headset will wear out faster and the frame will likely be damaged."

Nearly every single bike company uses a semi-integrated headset. Do you really think that 90% of the bikes on the market all have the same serious design flaw? Or is Chris King just making a bunch of junk up to scare people about "problems" that aren't really problems?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No I agree with you completely. It seems like its starting to become something of a industry standard at least for the larger companies. I have been using Chris King products for a few years now and never had an issue with any of there products so I guess you can say I trust there products to some extend and for those couple of minutes there marketing too. I just picked up my Giant (Trance X) a few days ago and I am in love with the bike. I am still in the process of learning everything I can about the bike. So when I was going through the article about the headset it just gave me that feeling that the bike isnt as perfect as I thought. It all kinda sounds stupid now but whatever .

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I spoke to one of the Giant riders at Sea Otter and he thinks the King headset is the shizzle.

He seemed genuinely enthusiastic about it, not just "I'm sponsored to say it, so I will" if you know what I mean. Personally, I think I would fail a blindfold test between the Cane Creek and the King. Plus, after owning four frames using them, I've never killed a stock headset.

Come to think of it, I've never killed any sealed bearing headset. Loose ball, yeah...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I know they make great stuff, I dont think anyone will question that. The problem I had is that article just seemed shady. Seems like propaganda to me. But with an extra 5 mins of searching through the forums I have found out that the article was written in 2002. There arent too many things that havnt changed since then. In that time industry standards have come and gone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I was cruising the Hope website for some ancient hub parts and saw that they also have a HS that will fit these bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tedstriker
    You have been able to use a Chris King headset on a Giant for years. You just have to ask them for the headset reducers that fit inside the headtube. This makes the frame compatable with any external type headset.
    Well, yes and no, since that would make the total stack height insane.....