Thread: New Giant owner

brand newb
    May 2007

New Giant owner

Well, I sold off my Marin HT and made the move to FS today. I picked up a new Trance X2, and it seems sweet so far! I rode a number of bikes over the last couple of days and the Trance felt so much better than the others. As soon as I got on it and started pedalling, I could tell that it was going home with me. lol I may head out here in a little bit for it's first trail ride.

BTW, I got it for $1500. That seems to be a decent price for it.

mtbr member
    Good for you...$1500 is a great price...stock components?
    Bought mine for $1700 and was very happy.
    Ride on......

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great buy! I love my X2 that I picked up last month. I would take it to bed with me but I dont want to make my GF any more jealous than she already is!

brand newb
    May 2007
    Thanks guys. Yeah, stock components.

I just got back from a quick get-to-know-you ride of about 9.5 miles. Damn this thing is fun! Plush and predictable. It seems to pedal so much easier than my Marin HT was. I dunno if it's the possibly reduced rotating weight, new bike stoke, or what... but I was busting out small climbs easier than I did on the HT. I love it so far!

Schwizzle
    Apr 2006
    Yeah the Trance is awesome, just picked mine up two days ago and went on my first long ride today/ Definitely happy with the components and set up for the price.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hahaha. I just bought an X2 today too!! It awesome! Rode it around the aparment complex a bit, but I am going riding tomorrow in Oakland. Cant wait!!

Got mine for 1500 too, it was for a Fathers Day sale, even though I'm not a fateher, lol. I absolutely love the stealth black look. I took off all the stickers that weren't black (bike shop, warnings) and it looks so sweet.

Cheers to you on the purchase!!

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Either Iím the only one with a decent camera and bike or you guys are too busy drooling over your latest acquisitions but please feel free to post up some pics and congratulations on your new rides.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've had mine for almost a month and am quite happy with the bike. I swapped in an X9 RD and shifters with an XT front derailleur, works great.
    It took a while to get the suspension dialed in to my liking but I am now happy with the ride. The main issue for me is the lack of full travel in the front fork, but that is well documented here; Fox F-modells -- unused travel / to much progression . Otherwise it's a nice fork, but more like a 100 mm than a 120.
    The other problem I am having is dropping the chain too often when I shift to the granny. I think that is more of a shifting technique issue. Coming from a hard-tail I find that I can't just pop it onto the small ring whenever I want without keeping some tension on the chain. I guess it will take some time to get it right. When I do get it right, the bike climbs like a goat, getting me up hills that gave me trouble on my hardtail. Overall, a great bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That sucks about the fork! After test riding it, I was thinking about placing a 32 Vanilla on the front anyways. Get mre travel, and the plush coil feel. I had a Marzocchi on my last ride and loved it, so I might go that way too. But I just gotta ride it first lol.

Too busy watchin US Open (TIGER!!!) and drinkin to take pics . I'll post some of my first ride tomorrow

mtbr member
    Hey "jump"...my chain has a tenency to drop as well.
    I hope it's just me and not a mechanical issue?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrmedic510
    That sucks about the fork! After test riding it, I was thinking about placing a 32 Vanilla on the front anyways. Get mre travel, and the plush coil feel. I had a Marzocchi on my last ride and loved it, so I might go that way too. But I just gotta ride it first lol.

Too busy watchin US Open (TIGER!!!) and drinkin to take pics . I'll post some of my first ride tomorrow
    It is still a nice light fork, but maybe it should be called a f100. I set my sag at 30mm with a zip tie on the tube and at the end of my riding sessions it never gets closer than 25mm from the top. I don't normally do drops of more than a foot but I figure there should be less than 25mm in reserve.
    As for Tiger, I was kinda rooting for Rocco at the end, but he'll have a tough assignment tomorrow over 18 holes!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    take it to your LBS and gave them "tune" your front derailleur
    chances are two turns of a screwdriver will fix your issue

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer
    Hey "jump"...my chain has a tenency to drop as well.
    I hope it's just me and not a mechanical issue?
    I don't think it is a mechanical issue Screamer, but this is my first FS bike so I can hardly be considered an expert on the subject. I gather that it is a fairly common problem on full suspension bikes because the chain has to be long enough to accomodate the full travel of the rear suspension. I dumped all of the air from the rear shock, compressed the suspension with a bar clamp and did the large sprocket large chainring test and the chain was right on the money length wise, so I guess it is a matter of developing the proper shifting technique.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Trust me guys, if you had an F100 it feels like a completely different fork, at least 10 times better and I donít just mean it gets full travel but the F120 is still a lot better than most forks.
    [/SIZE]

Scott is a tool.
    Get a Air U-Turn Revelation for the front and all your problems will be over!!!

mtbr member
    I have a Pike 454 coil u-turn and a Ritchey thru-axle front wheel I could part with for $275 total for those Trance X owners looking for the perfect fork. Steerer tube's been cut to around 7.5" though -- make sure it'll clear your head tube and stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog
    Get a Air U-Turn Revelation for the front and all your problems will be over!!!
    The Dual Air looks nice, at 3.75lbs it's not much heavier than the F120. I read somewhere on Mtbr that the axle to crown length is greater on the Rev though. Does it change the handling of the bike much?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just got back from my first ride on the X2!

What a great ride! The Trance X is amazing. Waaaayyy better than my 'ol Fisher HT. But pretty much anything is. The brakes are great. After a couple downhills, they started to burn in and took on a whole new character. At first they lacked power, but now, they are really impressive.

As for the Maestro suspension, it amazed me. You can either stay seated on climbs, or hammer out of the saddle and it doesnt matter, it stays solid, and works great. Then point it downhill for a great DH ride. I think my fork had a bit too much air in it, but I am still trying to dial everything in. Cant wait to go back out and ride again!!!

As for the bad:
    My only complaints thus far. the saddle is HORRIBLE!!! My ass is so sore after just one 2 hour ride, that I threw my old one on there already. Its terrible. No padding, and feels horrible.
    Also- I had some creaking from either the suspension, or BB. Couldnt really pinpoint it, bit it was awkaward on a first ride to hear noises like that. We'll see how that pans out in the future. As for everything else - SOLID!!

TranceX Rider
    Nice move, Mike! Welcome to the club!
    Keep racking up some miles!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrmedic510
    Just got back from my first ride on the X2!

What a great ride! The Trance X is amazing.
    As for the bad:
    My only complaints thus far. the saddle is HORRIBLE!!! My ass is so sore after just one 2 hour ride, that I threw my old one on there already. Its terrible. No padding, and feels horrible.
    Also- I had some creaking from either the suspension, or BB. Couldnt really pinpoint it, bit it was awkaward on a first ride to hear noises like that. We'll see how that pans out in the future. As for everything else - SOLID!!
    You're right, the saddle is terrible. To hard for rough rides. And I also have that same creaking noice.
    I hear it mostly when I stand up and pedal hard. It's to soon for a turn up...I'll give it one more month.