mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New Giant owner!

AFter a couple weeks of test riding and shopping I bought a 04'NRS1 over the weekend. The sad part is I couldn't take it home because the bike shop built the wrong size for me. So I should be able to pick it up today. I paid $1749.00 and couldn't pass up a sweet deal for a sweet bike.

Mr. A

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Congrats on the new bike! I'm sure you will like it. Just don't set up the suspension anything like "Mountain Bike Action" did on their NRS Air bike test. The pressures they used in the Skareb fork and Fox AVA shock were way to high and will result in a very rigid ride that won't hook up on climbs and will bounce you around in the rough stuff.

Here's what I've found works well for me as a 200lb XC rider.

Fork pressure - 75% of rider weight in left fork leg. That's 150psi for me. 35-40psi in the SPV fork leg. The SPV air chamber is the red schrader valve. Instead of running the SPV volume with the shoulder of the red SPV nut flush with the top of the fork cap, screw it clockwise down into the fork cap until it is 5mm below the top of the fork cap. Set the fork rebound damping near the middle of it's range.

Shock - Reduce the AVA volume to the #5 line. Run the pressure at 5-10psi less than your body weight. Rebound damping position will depend on the pressure you use in the shock. Try starting with the rebound fairly light (counter-clockwise), then add rebound damping (clockwise) 2 clicks at a time until the rear doesn't kick back on 4" roots at around 10mph.

These settings will make your NRS suspension more active without making it feel mushy. It will climb like a mountain goat and will be more plush when standing on downhills.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the info!

Mr. A