Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: New FS Bike

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    39

    New FS Bike

    I've been riding a 27.5 Giant Talon for about 6 months now. I love it but I went on some technical single tracks yesterday and the downhill was pretty rocky. It does well but FS bikes were flying by me and not to mention my back is a pretty sore from the ride. I think I'm ready for a FS bike.

    I want to start looking at FS bikes on craigslist What kind of FS bike do you guys recommend? So far I've been looking at 27.5 Anthems but I wanted to ask here before I pull the trigger on anything. Thx!

  2. #2
    cowbell
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,634
    My thought for you, as someone who has two herniated discs in his back, is that if your back is hurting after riding a more technical trail on a hard tail, you should be standing up more. If standing up more is making your back hurt, then you need to strengthen your core. One of my bikes is a rigid single speed, that I stand up on a lot. The other is a full suspension bike (Anthem 29er) (great bike btw) that I stand on in technical sections, or descents. The strength required to ride the SS has seriously helped me up my game on the Anthem. Just some food for thought - maybe it's best you stick with what you have and get stronger/gain skill? - not trying to be insulting, but if the sore back is your primary complaint, that's my gut reaction as far as advice. Honestly, on my rigid bike, most people on FS bikes around here can't ride away from me on down hills, even with all their extra gears.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    92
    Anthems are good as XC or light trail. Trances are slacker and longer which are a better bike for trail but less good as a XC rig. Reigns are now more on the DH side of things

    Go 27.5, they rock.

    PS, I got an Anthem for sale 2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1- 27.5 med, owned for a few months For Sale

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    12
    I love my Anthem X 4 29er :-)

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: obs08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    264
    i have a trance use it as a do it all type of bike. works well for me for basically anything i throw at it
    2006 Monocog Flight 26
    2013 On One 456 II 26
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5
    2014 Trek Crossrip

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    i have a trance use it as a do it all type of bike. works well for me for basically anything i throw at it
    What's the difference between Trance and Anthem? I know the Trance is a trail bike but what exactly does that mean?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    25
    Which 27.5 model do you have and how did the fork hold up?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by SRRD-RacinG View Post
    Which 27.5 model do you have and how did the fork hold up?
    I have the Talon 5. The fork is OK at best.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    116
    Trance is longer, slacker, greater travel in the suspension but you give up pedaling efficiency. It pedals well enough to tackle any climb, but downhill oriented enough that you'll survive some treacherous descents. It's a bit too big for tighter single track and while you will make it up the climbs it doesn't crush them the way a hard tail does.

    The anthem gives you a bit of suspension for the rocks but is more focused on pedaling efficiency and quick steering. Just wont be as stable when pointed into a downhill berm.

    And you're allowed to say that your fork is garbage, its either a suntor or giant branded piece of nothing. What trails are you riding? There's usually videos on youtube of most areas.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFoe View Post
    Trance is longer, slacker, greater travel in the suspension but you give up pedaling efficiency. It pedals well enough to tackle any climb, but downhill oriented enough that you'll survive some treacherous descents. It's a bit too big for tighter single track and while you will make it up the climbs it doesn't crush them the way a hard tail does.

    The anthem gives you a bit of suspension for the rocks but is more focused on pedaling efficiency and quick steering. Just wont be as stable when pointed into a downhill berm.

    And you're allowed to say that your fork is garbage, its either a suntor or giant branded piece of nothing. What trails are you riding? There's usually videos on youtube of most areas.
    Thanks! Ya my fork is a POS suntor.

    Here is a video of the latest single track I did on my hardtail.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJHxz8ASAdw

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    116
    Yeah definitely stick to something like an anthem for trails like that. 120mm of travel or less.

    The trance may only have 140mm of travel but it has similar geometry to the "enduro" class of bikes. It's more at home in the steep and gnarley, while still being able to tackle technical climbs.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34
    That video's image stabilization does not do that trail justice. Noticed your video was from a year ago. Have you been on G-out recently? There are a few sections washed out pretty bad, and in some spots, the trail is just about gone. You can even see where some people couldn't catch the narrow parts of the trail and slid off now. I ran through there on a 26" with 100mm travel about a month ago, and it handled it fine, I prob would have been a bit happier with longer travel on it though. Gonna have to do it again with my new 27.5" 120mm bike.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by malicefox View Post
    That video's image stabilization does not do that trail justice. Noticed your video was from a year ago. Have you been on G-out recently? There are a few sections washed out pretty bad, and in some spots, the trail is just about gone. You can even see where some people couldn't catch the narrow parts of the trail and slid off now. I ran through there on a 26" with 100mm travel about a month ago, and it handled it fine, I prob would have been a bit happier with longer travel on it though. Gonna have to do it again with my new 27.5" 120mm bike.
    That's not my video I just grabbed it from youtube as an example. I went on that trail last week. Yes I agree the video doesn't do that trail justice.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Single_Trak_Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    64
    Another option is the Anthem SX. It is an Anthem with a 120 mm fork vs. the standard 100 mm. Essentially, this splits the difference between Anthem and Trance. The longer fork on SX adds stability on the downhills and makes the head tube angle a bit more slack - but it still retains the pedaling efficiency / snappiness of a XC bike. I bought this bike a month ago and simply love it. I've been riding XC race bikes (mostly hard tails) for 20 years and this bike is a keeper.

    Anthem SX 27.5 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States
    '15 Giant Anthem SX | '12 Specialized Tarmac

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    168
    Take a Look at the new Giant Stance it is 120mm front and rear. It is a single pivot design not the maestro but i bet it still pedals resonably. This would give you the best of both worlds between the longer travel All mountian bike and the short travel cross country bike.

    Stance 27.5 0 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

    That is the Stance 0, the prices range from 1450 for the Stance 2 to 2650 for the Stance 0.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpok92 View Post
    Take a Look at the new Giant Stance it is 120mm front and rear. It is a single pivot design not the maestro but i bet it still pedals resonably. This would give you the best of both worlds between the longer travel All mountian bike and the short travel cross country bike.

    Stance 27.5 0 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

    That is the Stance 0, the prices range from 1450 for the Stance 2 to 2650 for the Stance 0.
    The Stance is nice! I climb a lot on the trails I go on. How does the Stance do during climbs?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34
    i have 2 stances. the 1.0 and the 2.0 they climb really well, and descend nicely as well. I ride tapia every weekend, so I'm sure you will see me and the stances at some point. Wifey and I both have one. Been really happy with the 1.0 so far. The only thing i would like for fire road climbing would be a lockout on the rear shock, but truth be told, i haven't noticed any significant pedal bob with the Monarch R.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by malicefox View Post
    i have 2 stances. the 1.0 and the 2.0 they climb really well, and descend nicely as well. I ride tapia every weekend, so I'm sure you will see me and the stances at some point. Wifey and I both have one. Been really happy with the 1.0 so far. The only thing i would like for fire road climbing would be a lockout on the rear shock, but truth be told, i haven't noticed any significant pedal bob with the Monarch R.
    Nice! The Stance too seems like a great bike for the price! I might just get that one... It seems like a good all around FS bike.

    Excuse my lack of FS knowledge... but could you add a lock out to the rear shock?

    I might run into to you one of these days at Tapia. I just started going there recently and I love it! Seems like you get a little bit of all kinds of terrain.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by rekon32 View Post
    Nice! The Stance too seems like a great bike for the price! I might just get that one... It seems like a good all around FS bike.

    Excuse my lack of FS knowledge... but could you add a lock out to the rear shock?

    I might run into to you one of these days at Tapia. I just started going there recently and I love it! Seems like you get a little bit of all kinds of terrain.
    I don't think you can add a lockout to the rear shock without replacing the whole shock.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpok92 View Post
    I don't think you can add a lockout to the rear shock without replacing the whole shock.
    Correct, you would have to swap the shock out for a lockout model, such as the Monarch RL.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    168
    I will also add don't get hung up on having a lockout on the rear, I have one and the only time I use it is if I am riding climbing a hill on pavement. Other wise my bike is in descend mode all the time. I will add I am not riding a stance.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpok92 View Post
    I will also add don't get hung up on having a lockout on the rear, I have one and the only time I use it is if I am riding pavement and climbing a hill. Other wise my bike is in descend mode all the time.
    Totally agreed. Especially with the Stance. It does not have much bob while pedaling, unless i'm really mashing on it standing up. That's the only time where i wish it had more platform or lockout to transfer power. Otherwise, I don't feel its necessary on this bike, more of a "would be cool if" part

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    39
    Ok I think I'm going to buy a Stance. What model is a good value? Or, should I go all out and get the Stance 0?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34
    I think they are all a pretty good value based on their price points and specs. If i were you, i would go demo them and see what you think. H&S bikes in Granada Hills is where I bought both of mine, and i know they had one or two more on display at the time. Very happy with the team there. There are two guys who really stand out over there and will give you very honest feedback and have a great work attitude. Ask for Bob or Carlos and they will get you all set. They are open till 5 today, and 7pm mon-sat.

    16908 San Fernando Mission Blvd.
    Granada Hills, Ca. 91344
    818-832-1111

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by malicefox View Post
    I think they are all a pretty good value based on their price points and specs. If i were you, i would go demo them and see what you think. H&S bikes in Granada Hills is where I bought both of mine, and i know they had one or two more on display at the time. Very happy with the team there. There are two guys who really stand out over there and will give you very honest feedback and have a great work attitude. Ask for Bob or Carlos and they will get you all set. They are open till 5 today, and 7pm mon-sat.

    16908 San Fernando Mission Blvd.
    Granada Hills, Ca. 91344
    818-832-1111
    Thanks I'll try to check them out...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 03:25 PM
  2. Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-30-2013, 11:52 AM
  4. mountain bike comfort, road bike speed,which bike?
    By traumamagnit in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-23-2011, 07:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •