mtbr member

New frame but Old parts? Bad idea?

Hi all,

I'm new to MTB, I got a Giant 2010 Revel 3, I'm wondering if it would be a waste if I just get a better Giant FS frame and use the part I have on my Revel 3 on it?

Sorry if it is a dumb question

Any other suggestions will be great too.
    Thanks

MTB B'dos
    What sort of money are you looking to spend? Honestly, your Revel is about the lowest spec MTB for real trails, transferring the parts of it are not worth the time or effort, much better to look for a complete bike and purchase that and try to sell your Revel or keep it as a commuter.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I don't really mind spending some $ on a hobby! I'm 26 yrso and I think this is the first time I have found something I really like and which I will do/practice whenever I have free time and energy!

Here in where I live the bike are alot more expensive! The bike I have seen in the shops sells for $3000 when the real price from the site is just $2000!!
    Also, we have no real MTB trails that I know of! All we have is some mountains (3 or 4) for ppl to jog around which is only 3km long! But I'm planning to travel or somewhere else just to find some real trails!
    Btw Macau is where I live!!

The reason why I'm thinking to get a frame is that i can learn mounting my own bike and it will be cheaper which means I can get it sooner!

Thanks for ur reply

MTB B'dos
    Is there an alternative to buy a bike online and have it shipped there? I expect, that like with where I am that it wouldn't work out a lot cheaper if everything is done above board. Giant definitely offers the best bang for your buck, as do the other big brands, so look at them.

As to the buying the frame and transferring the parts...... your bike is a low tier bike and as such generally uses older technology/specs, hence a lot of the parts most likely wouldn't just transfer over to a better frame using higher end, more modern design features like tapered headtube, oversized tubing etc.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    you have a good hardtail frame there. With good upgrades it can be a nice light and strong bike.
    But if you have to go FS, those parts wont help you.