Thread: New frame??

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

New frame??

Hi all,

Maybe a weird question but I currently ride a 07 STP 0 but I'm not doing much in the way of DJ and am really getting into Enduro and DH oriented stuff a lot more.

I was thinking of buying a full sus frame and using all of the parts from the stp to build a DH bike. As to which frame - I don't know, it's just an idea right now...

Would this be worth it, or bad idea??

Sent from another dimension using tappatalk

Quiet Professional
    You could do freeride and downhill with a good full suspension as well as all mountain.Are you looking for a shuttle bike or something that handles uphill pretty good. Options I can think of are Reign x, faith, and of course the Glory.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    You could do freeride and downhill with a good full suspension as well as all mountain.Are you looking for a shuttle bike or something that handles uphill pretty good. Options I can think of are Reign x, faith, and of course the Glory.
    Those are all awesome options, my main question though was would it make sense to buy just the frame and put all of the gear off my STP onto said frame...

Quiet Professional
    I guess it depends on the quality of your gear on the stp. I dont think a 140 fork would be good with any of the bikes I mentioned. If these are the parts , most will do, but I would look at a different fork and brakes.

E13 STS chain guide with E13 supercharger bash ring
    UPGRADES OVER STP 1
    Rock Shox Pike 409 fork w/ U Turn 95-140mm travel
    SRAM X7 trigger and rear derailleur
    Truvativ Holzfeller crankset
    Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic disc brakes
    Easton Vice stem and EA 50 bar
    SDG I beam, I Sky seatpost/saddle
    SIZE regular:13.5, large:14.5
    USER
    COLOURS Texture Grey/Texture Black
    FRAME ALUXX alloy: double butted, integrated gusset w/CNC BB yoke
    FORK Rockshox Pike 409 U-Turn w/Maxle 95-140mm/3.5-5.7"
    REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X-7 9 speed medium cage
    FRONT DERAILLEUR
    SHIFTERS SRAM X-7 trigger shift 9 speed
    CRANKSET TruVativ Holzfeller ISIS splined 36T w/bashguard
    BOTTOM BRACKET TruVativ Howitzer XR splined w/external bearings
    SHIFT/CHAIN GUIDE E-13 STS Chain Guide
    CHAIN Shimano HG73 9speed
    CASSETTE SRAM PG950 11-32T
    BRAKES Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic: 8" front, 6" rear rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic
    HUBS Fr: Formula 20mm | Rr: Shimano Deore 9sp cassette disc
    RIMS Sun Rhyno Lite XL 26 x 36H w/eyelets
    SPOKES DT Swiss 14G stainless
    TYRES Maxxis Holly Roller 2.4"
    PEDALS Wellgo alloy platform, cr-mo axle
    H.BAR/STEM Easton EA50 31.8mm high rise/Easton FRDH Vice 31.8mm
    SEAT POST SDG I Beam 30.9 freestyle
    SADDLE SDG I Sky freestyle
    GRIPS Giant lock-on

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yep I have all of the stock gear except for the grips. It's all in good condition too.

So would a shorter travel fork be better or longer? I'm kind of after more of an all mountain setup not just a straight down hill shuttle.

My main reason for this is just so I don't have to outlay a huge sum all at once, I figure I can buy the frame and use what I have now and slowly upgrade parts over time.....

Quiet Professional
    140mm is short for those frames. The reign really needs a 150 to 160mm as well as the reign x and the glory needs a 8" to be balanced. If you went the reign rout you could get away with it a bit more than if you went with a glory. It all comes down to the geometry of the bikes. Now the trance x would be great with a 140mm fork. but much more of an xc to trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yeah the trance is what I originally had in mind.....

Quiet Professional
    Well the trance has a limited suspension and would be great for xc or trail. Not sure how it would handle dh. i was watching a video of Danny Hart training and he was on a trance x, so I guess it would work for a lot of applications. I would choose a reign or reign x for more am to dh stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Okay thanks for your help I think I should have said Enduro rather than DH I'm still new to this so the terms get mixed a bit in my head.

Not after anything too extreme haha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I wouldn't get too hung up on labels... Trail vs. All Mountain vs. Enduro. Fact is, a Trance X with a 140mm fork would rock EVERY trail I typically ride here in Northern California... Especially since I pretty much pedal to the top.

I, like so many people, think I need more travel than I actually do... So I went with the Reign. My buddy rides a trance x and he's not any slower on the rough downs... My extra 30mm of travel doesn't magically make me more rad.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that a 5" travel bike is going to be perfect for what most people ride most... Especially if they want an 'all mountain' setup.

The price difference between the Trance X frame only, and the Trance X3 (complete bike)is pretty minor. If I were in your position, I would buy the complete x3 bike, swap over the fork and better parts, sell your old bike with the take-off's to recoup the cost.

You would get a sweet trail bike for relatively little money...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by htek View Post
    I wouldn't get too hung up on labels... Trail vs. All Mountain vs. Enduro. Fact is, a Trance X with a 140mm fork would rock EVERY trail I typically ride here in Northern California... Especially since I pretty much pedal to the top.

I, like so many people, think I need more travel than I actually do... So I went with the Reign. My buddy rides a trance x and he's not any slower on the rough downs... My extra 30mm of travel doesn't magically make me more rad.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that a 5" travel bike is going to be perfect for what most people ride most... Especially if they want an 'all mountain' setup.

The price difference between the Trance X frame only, and the Trance X3 (complete bike)is pretty minor. If I were in your position, I would buy the complete x3 bike, swap over the fork and better parts, sell your old bike with the take-off's to recoup the cost.

Hmmm that sounds like good advice, might save for a bit and see how I go.

Thanks

Quiet Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by htek View Post

I agree with this. I would purchase a full bike and swap the better parts. It is true the trance x does most of what am am would do.I was more focused on you saying downhill rig.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yeah like I said I got my terminology mixed up, I'm by no means wanting to do any hardcore downhill stuff. I take the term Enduro to mean some uphill xc and some technical downhill stuff but no extremes in either of those two categories.

Quiet Professional
    Then the trance x will be fine. I am looking at one for my wife to ride along with my reign.