mtbr member
    Aug 2005

New forks on my 2015 Trance.

My new forks finally turned up and i got round to fitting them yesterday.

I went for 150mm revelations in the end as they worked out best value for money. They certainly look the part in full stealthy black.

I know there are a lot of spacers under the stem but I'm playing around with stem height before the final cut.

What do you think.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    looks nice!, the 32 float CTD evo was that bad eh?

i just bought the same bike (can't ride atm, too much snow here in NB, Canada)
    i have been debating on upgrading the damper or swapping the fork.

how do you find the rear Shock's performance? do you keep in in trail? ever use Descend?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Looking good! Have you taken them for a spin yet? Keen to hear your thoughts.
    I was tossing up between fork options and was about to settle for a mattoc as they were great bang for buck on crc until the pikes dropped almost to the same price.
    To be fair the evo fork has been pretty good. Handled a 1m drop to flat without bucking me over the hangers..

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    be sure to give us a full review

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the replies.

To be honest my main reason for swapping them out was to get the front of the bike a bit higher. I've come from a dw link turner five spot that had a very long head tube and external headset and I had kinda gotten used to the higher bar position.

The head height on the trance was a bit of a shock to me and my wrists so I've been looking at ways of raising it a bit and coupled with wanting some longer travel forks in budget the revelations were the obvious choice.

I've not been off road yet on the but can already feel the are more controlled than the fox.

My rear shock was leaking oil pretty bad and had blown up so had no damping. In standard form I found it pretty poor to be honest as it was blowing through its travel in descend mode and also I couldn't feel what the rear end was doing. It trail mode I found it a bit harsh over rough stuff.

I sent it off for warranty work and they have also tuned it for me to and so far so good.

Again not taken it off road yet but will report back when I do.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Let me know how its climbs now with 150 mm . I have been debating in my head 140mm vs 150mm Because I deal with a lot of steep technical climbs (of I decide to swap out vs fit damper)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Will do. I can't see it being a problem to be honest as the sx comes with 160mm forks as standard and is meant to climb just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Received mine 2 weeks ago,thinking about a fork change as well.150mm Revelation seems like a good choice.

Noob question but I'd also like to get rid the stock 2.25 nobby nics and go for a wider tyre (2.35-2.40).Do i have to change the stock wheels as well?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    No to the wheel change. If everything is stock you likely have a tubed setup. The only consideration, at least these days, is running a relatively wide tire on a what is now a narrow rim. Unless you are running higher air pressure the tire will move around a little.

Wider rim with tubeless lets you run lower air pressure. This combo increases the amount of tire on the ground and provides better grip.

Lots of good tires out these days in the 2.35 size, Hans Dampf, Magic Mary, Maxxis DHF / DHR EXO ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I decided to keep the 2015 2.25 NN in the back for now and replace the front with a 2.4 Trail king.

THe NN has decent traction and rolls ok, obviously not as sturdy as the TK protection.

mtbr member
    I love Continental Protection tires.

Used to ride lot of Schwalbe ones (snakeskin and regular), but it's not close to Conti in terms of toughness and longevity.

Having done about 2000km on Mountain King II so far and not only they hold tubeless amazing (like UST tires), they're very tough and roll pretty well considering their thread and intended use.

I have few nasty cuts on them from rocks (it's all rock here where I live basically) but they are holding extremely well and I haven't had any punctures either which is amazing, or at least I haven't noticed any.

Threads on the rear are bit worn (mostly center) but are still pretty usable at about 50-60% of the original while front tire is almost as new.

I like that the casing is quite tough and firm so the tires don't fold in corners easily and allow for lower pressures without fear of sliding off the rim or denting it.

Compared to Schwalbes I had before they're definitely my favorite tire so far.
    Having used Nobby Nic and Hans Dampf, I feel they're simply too weak and wear too quickly and don't hold air as well.

Schwalbes do roll nicely and have pretty good grip, but rocks eat them up in no time and they're expensive to replace every couple of months.
    They also don't inspire same confidence as I had ripped and punctured them on several occasions, even snakeskin variants.

That's one of the main problems with Hans Dampf - outside of the big blocks, it's casing is very weak and easy to puncture.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm looking for new tyres as not really getting on with the Hans dampf as I find it and the back tyre really draggy.

Better pic in the sun......

I think it's starting to look pretty good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I recently bought trance 27.5 2... Its my first FS bike. Im running 90psi front, 260psi rear and i am 210lbs. I cant get any help on setting sag correctly so im just doing it by feel... And im afraid i might blow my rear shock due to too high pressure... I mean 260 is close to the 300 max

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I am heavier than you and run around 275psi in the shock with no issues.

You may find that it still uses a lot of its travel still and if so it may be that it needs a custom tune.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    curious how much do you weigh, and how much psi do you run?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    front you got a chart on the side of the fork but that's a guide. 10 psig up or down depending on how much you bottoming out on your trails. the rear you have to get full equipped with the gear you going to wear. then place bike on a level area. climb on and sit. try not to bounce. get off. read the band on the rear shock. 25- 30% you good. if not add or remove air until u there.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldrag View Post
    I recently bought trance 27.5 2... Its my first FS bike. Im running 90psi front, 260psi rear and i am 210lbs. I cant get any help on setting sag correctly so im just doing it by feel... And im afraid i might blow my rear shock due to too high pressure... I mean 260 is close to the 300 max