Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New forks on my 2015 Trance.

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  renton 
#1 ·
My new forks finally turned up and i got round to fitting them yesterday.

I went for 150mm revelations in the end as they worked out best value for money. They certainly look the part in full stealthy black.

I know there are a lot of spacers under the stem but I'm playing around with stem height before the final cut.

What do you think.

See less See more
#2 ·
looks nice!, the 32 float CTD evo was that bad eh?

i just bought the same bike (can't ride atm, too much snow here in NB, Canada)
i have been debating on upgrading the damper or swapping the fork.

how do you find the rear Shock's performance? do you keep in in trail? ever use Descend?

#3 ·
Looking good! Have you taken them for a spin yet? Keen to hear your thoughts.
I was tossing up between fork options and was about to settle for a mattoc as they were great bang for buck on crc until the pikes dropped almost to the same price.
To be fair the evo fork has been pretty good. Handled a 1m drop to flat without bucking me over the hangers..

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

To be honest my main reason for swapping them out was to get the front of the bike a bit higher. I've come from a dw link turner five spot that had a very long head tube and external headset and I had kinda gotten used to the higher bar position.

The head height on the trance was a bit of a shock to me and my wrists so I've been looking at ways of raising it a bit and coupled with wanting some longer travel forks in budget the revelations were the obvious choice.

I've not been off road yet on the but can already feel the are more controlled than the fox.

My rear shock was leaking oil pretty bad and had blown up so had no damping. In standard form I found it pretty poor to be honest as it was blowing through its travel in descend mode and also I couldn't feel what the rear end was doing. It trail mode I found it a bit harsh over rough stuff.

I sent it off for warranty work and they have also tuned it for me to and so far so good.

Again not taken it off road yet but will report back when I do.

Cheers

#9 ·
No to the wheel change. If everything is stock you likely have a tubed setup. The only consideration, at least these days, is running a relatively wide tire on a what is now a narrow rim. Unless you are running higher air pressure the tire will move around a little.

Wider rim with tubeless lets you run lower air pressure. This combo increases the amount of tire on the ground and provides better grip.

Lots of good tires out these days in the 2.35 size, Hans Dampf, Magic Mary, Maxxis DHF / DHR EXO ...

#11 ·
I love Continental Protection tires.

Used to ride lot of Schwalbe ones (snakeskin and regular), but it's not close to Conti in terms of toughness and longevity.

Having done about 2000km on Mountain King II so far and not only they hold tubeless amazing (like UST tires), they're very tough and roll pretty well considering their thread and intended use.

I have few nasty cuts on them from rocks (it's all rock here where I live basically) but they are holding extremely well and I haven't had any punctures either which is amazing, or at least I haven't noticed any.

Threads on the rear are bit worn (mostly center) but are still pretty usable at about 50-60% of the original while front tire is almost as new.

I like that the casing is quite tough and firm so the tires don't fold in corners easily and allow for lower pressures without fear of sliding off the rim or denting it.

Compared to Schwalbes I had before they're definitely my favorite tire so far.
Having used Nobby Nic and Hans Dampf, I feel they're simply too weak and wear too quickly and don't hold air as well.

Schwalbes do roll nicely and have pretty good grip, but rocks eat them up in no time and they're expensive to replace every couple of months.
They also don't inspire same confidence as I had ripped and punctured them on several occasions, even snakeskin variants.

That's one of the main problems with Hans Dampf - outside of the big blocks, it's casing is very weak and easy to puncture.

#13 ·
I recently bought trance 27.5 2... Its my first FS bike. Im running 90psi front, 260psi rear and i am 210lbs. I cant get any help on setting sag correctly so im just doing it by feel... And im afraid i might blow my rear shock due to too high pressure... I mean 260 is close to the 300 max

#16 ·
front you got a chart on the side of the fork but that's a guide. 10 psig up or down depending on how much you bottoming out on your trails. the rear you have to get full equipped with the gear you going to wear. then place bike on a level area. climb on and sit. try not to bounce. get off. read the band on the rear shock. 25- 30% you good. if not add or remove air until u there.

#17 ·
with everyone getting pikes, the rev seems to be the forgotten brother ... I really like the idea that its nearly 0.5 lbs lighter than the Fox 32 float and stiffer ... Imo should be most peoples choice for the all around trail rider ... After all who doesn't want to shed half a pound and stiffen up the front end

#20 ·
Apologies for not replying to the thread.

I've done a few rides on the new revelations and I have to say they are a very VERY good upgrade over the fox 32's.

The models I have are the rl which has the remote lockout and motion control dna damping. I didn't feel the need for the rct3 as I like my forks locked out or plush.

Compared to the floats they seem to sit higher in the travel and just feel a lot more controlled overall. Certainly feel stiffer to.

#22 ·
Hi. It doesn't blow its travel like the fox did which is good as it gives a bit more confidence that you aren't going to go over the bars on a steep bit.

To early to say on the damping as they are still bedding in to be honest but it does feel better so far and they ramp up nicely towards the end of the stroke too.

Fitted a stealth giant dropper to it today ......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.