mtbr member
    Aug 2008

New bike for '13 - thinking 575 vs Reign

I have a 2010 Reign 2 and rode it a ton last year. Loved it, but want better specs (definitely better forks and curious to experience the difference of a tapered head tube).

Here in Northern Utah we do a ton of climbing before bombing downhill (keep in mind).

I've always liked Yeti and have been somewhat eyeing the 575. But the more I dig into it, it looks like the Reign is more efficient in terms of climbing, and of course they are always a good buy in terms of what you get for the money.

I'm sure to get biased answers posting here, but has anyone rode a 575 and a Reign back-to-back and if so, what did you think?

Right now I'm leaning toward a '13 Reign 1, but still looking around. I don't like the spec for the '13 Reign 2 (as much), but not too stoked about $3200 MSRP either.

Anyway - just curious to hear what others have found with this comparison, if anything at all

Thanks.

Slower But Faster
    If the 2010 and 2013 don't look that different from a geometry perspective (I haven't got the figures on hand to check, suspect they're very similar) had you considered simply upgrading the parts on the current bike you don't like. Much less costly option.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Their geo specs are different, yes. '13 has more slack, and the tapered head tube is obviously quite different. For me to upgrade parts here and there would be pretty close to the difference in just buying a new bike. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

In doing my research lately it sounds like I already have a great bike given where I am, and the type of riding I do. I've always dug Yeti, but I can't see any major advantages; just seems as though people that spring for Yeti, just plain want one (and not to really gain performance, etc.)

Quiet Professional
    I would probably upgrade to a reign x if I wanted different to the reign. More travel and thru axles both front and back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: New bike for '13 - thinking 575 vs Reign

The other big differences for the 2013 Reign are the ISCG tabs and a return to the threaded BB.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No ReignX for me - overkill I think, for as much climbing as I do.

I'm actually kinda thinking about demo'ing a TranceX 29. Never ridden a 29 and not sold on what they can / can't do, but for as much climbing as I do, maybe they would be worth looking into. No idea. Talked to a salesman at the LBS and that's all he could talk about. Been thinking about it anyway.

(and for what it's worth, I've tossed the Yeti idea all-together).

I have my mind set on a '13 Reign 1 or maybe the TranceX 1 29. With the Reign, the only one worth buying is the 1, in my opinion, but I hate the thought of the huge hit I'll take after riding it for a season or two (financially - I don't think higher-end, better spec'd bikes hold their value at all).