mtbr member
    May 2012

New 29r Anthem X owner!!

I just tried out my new Anthem X 1 and it is a great bike. This bike is a replacement to my circa 1987 Diamondback Mountain bike I bought brand new for $550.

Front shocks and rear shocks sure are nice!! The bike pedles real well and climbs like a champ. I was worried about the granny gear a 26x39 and it was fine on 20% grades!! I took it on a 1.5 mile ride with a 1,000 foot gain with 20% grades and loose disintegrated granite. The college sorority girls that where out hiking, where cheering me on, lol. Overall the bike seems to be perfect!!

Life is good!!!

Bill

mtbr member
    Go Bill : )

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    CONGRATS!!!! Just picked up my Anthem X 1 29'er tonight & hitting the trail tomorrow morning!!! I can't wait to get out and see what she's got

mtbr member
    It's an awesome bike...!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hey Anthem owners, congratulations on your new bike. I too bought one last week. However the Avid Elixir 5 brakes on my bike squeal a lot. They ain't that responsive during braking and also require a fair bit of effort to stop completely. Do you have the same issue as mine? I'm thinking of changing it to a Shimano SLX M666, Will that solve the problem?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Mmm... San Diego sorority girls. ;-) Congrats on the upgrade!

Sent from my Android phone who can't spell using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Billinsd View Post
    I just tried out my new Anthem X 1 and it is a great bike. This bike is a replacement to my circa 1987 Diamondback Mountain bike I bought brand new for $550.

Front shocks and rear shocks sure are nice!! The bike pedles real well and climbs like a champ. I was worried about the granny gear a 26x39 and it was fine on 20% grades!! I took it on a 1.5 mile ride with a 1,000 foot gain with 20% grades and loose disintegrated granite. The college sorority girls that where out hiking, where cheering me on, lol. Overall the bike seems to be perfect!!

Life is good!!!

Bill
    It's a great bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Congrats and welcome to the 29r x club!!

Could never get the Avid CR's on my x1 dialed in and they suffered from the known howl/scream/gobble noise which also created a resonance/vibration felt through the frame - replaced with the newest XT's - completely changed the bike IMO - if you can't stop you are in trouble - i've heard the SLX are a great budget option! Shimano breaks simply work well out of the box and better than any Avids I've used!

mtbr member

Glazed pads?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleGeorge View Post
    Hey Anthem owners, congratulations on your new bike. I too bought one last week. However the Avid Elixir 5 brakes on my bike squeal a lot. They ain't that responsive during braking and also require a fair bit of effort to stop completely. Do you have the same issue as mine? I'm thinking of changing it to a Shimano SLX M666, Will that solve the problem?
    Except for BB7's, the Elixer 5's are the first Avid brakes that have worked great for me. It might be your pads are glazed over from the bedding process. Take them out, and get some medium to medium fine grit sand paper, lay it on a flat surface, and lightly sand the pads to remove the glaze. Clean the rotors too, with some rubbing alcohol on a clean rag.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleGeorge View Post
    I recently bought those same brakes for my talon 1 29er. What a huge difference over the stock brakes (giant root). I can easily control the brakes with one finger and they are silent. I can get the rear brake just to the point of loosing traction without loosing control. It is a huge upgrade over my stock crap hydro brakes.
    2011 Giant Talon 1
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I had brake howling issues and cured it by cleaning the rotor with rubbiing alcohol and lightly sanding the pads with 320 grit paper. I cleaned the pads with alcohol after sanding. I made sure to sand the pads flat by laying the sand paper on a counter top and applying even pressue to the pad backside.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thank you all for your valuable inputs on solving the howling squealing issue associated with Avid brakes. I'll try your tips and see how..

mtbr member
    I'm picking up my Anthem X 0 next week. Is there a big difference in the brakes between the X 0 and the X 1??

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Assuming you're referring to the 2012 29er models, x0 used the elixir 9 and x1 used elixir 5. Elixir 9 is about 180 dollars more expensive than 5 but both are equally good in braking power. The only thing is the squealing noise to put up with.

Generally Anthem X 0 parts are better than X 1. Check out giant website for their specs and than this website for more information.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Two months on my small Anthem X 29er 1 and I love it!!! Except the brakes squeal. My LBS mechanic has been great and taken sandpaper to the pads twice (or is it 3 times?). Works for 2 rides then they start squealing again. Next will try new brake pads. I would hate to have buy new brakes for a $3K bike!
    The Elixir 5s stop great, but hate the squeal.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy777 View Post
    Two months on my small Anthem X 29er 1 and I love it!!! Except the brakes squeal. My LBS mechanic has been great and taken sandpaper to the pads twice (or is it 3 times?). Works for 2 rides then they start squealing again. Next will try new brake pads. I would hate to have buy new brakes for a $3K bike!
    The Elixir 5s stop great, but hate the squeal.
    Its not the brakes as a whole but some pads squeal more than others. I find Elixirs to come stock with very "squealy" pads. Should only be $30 get some good pad upgrades for it
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Sounds like we all agree with the frustrating brake squeal, so anyone know of any good upgrade replacements pads to start with? I would love to take out my ear plugs!

~Reformed Mechanic~
    I've always been very happy with Goodridge Pads, I run their sintered pads and though sintered aren't known to be the most quite, they have been silent for me.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I use four piston Shimano Saint BR-810M brakes on my Anthem X 29er. Although they're more than adequate for the vast majority of trails I was actually running them at 99% on one particular descent,it was the first time I actually heard them squeal.

The Anthem X 29er is a very capable machine and should really be equipped with four piston brakes. I think the Anthem X 29er is capable of dealing with most of the things a trail bike can handle,although with a bit more flair and drama.