mtbr member
    Mar 2014

New 2014 trance 3 27.5 with wrong fork??

Just bought a new 2014 trance 3 27.5 from my local LBS. I had them order me one from the factory because the showroom one was beat up from numerous test rides. Any way it took about a week to arrive. I arrived to picked it up and the employee was showing me around the bike and then set up the suspension to my weight.
    I did notice at the time that my front derailleur was just shimano deore but the showroom one was SLX and others that I have seen at other stores were also SLX. It got me curious but I decided to check the giant site first to make sure I got all my information right.
    Well I brought the bike home and did a detailed look around and found that my front fork is the Rockshox Sektor Silver TK 27.5 Solo Air. The giant site and all other sites say the front fork should be the Sektor Silver RL.
    I did call back the LBS I bought the bike from to address this issue and he was confused as well. He said he would get back to me and talk to someone at Giant to see whats going on. The other 3 trance bikes in the store all had the TK model too. I decided to call 2 other LBS in my area and same thing with their bikes. All had TK models. They too could not give me a definitive answer why it has TK not RL. Also all their front derailleurs for the trance 3 are SLX. The Giant site does say shimano deore not SLX. Oh well, Im not too worried about that. Im just curious to know why I have the TK model and not RL.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening with other giant models? Is there a valid explanation on why this would happen? Is the TK better than the RL model and I should just stick with it? Im still waiting for a call back from my LBS to see what they have to say.

2010 Glory custom FR
    TK stands for TurnKey, which is a lockout on top of the fork's leg.
    RL, AFAIR, remote lockout, which is doubtful on T 27,5 3 bike. Maybe it's R for rebound and L for lockout?
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the reply. That does make sense.
    I was just comparing to what the Giant website said on the spec sheet. If you look at the fork in the pictures and look at a TK model, it does look different.
    Im still waiting on my LBS that i bought the bike from to explain this to me once he finds an answer.
    I guess my biggest concern is the TK model vs RL model differ in performance and should i even be worried about it.

2010 Glory custom FR
    Pls remember, that pics for catalog and website has been taken about 6-9 months ago. Some parts could not have been available, then.
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    I'll have mine home soon, mine has the new deore stuff,but mine came with Maxxis Ardents 2.25 and I noticed the ones on the floor a Giant's site have knobby nics? Wondering if I'm getting a lesser tire? I have the TK fork also.

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    I think ardents would do better than the stock nobby nics.

Mine (with NNs) had missing knobs after 2 months of use.

Sent from my MyPhone A888 Duo using Tapatalk
    Last edited by IstongKowldPaRin; 03-02-2014 at 08:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I just got off the phone with my LBS and he spoke with a Giant rep. He said that Giant did not use the RL model due to cost. Giant did not update the spec sheet nor the website to the correct changes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    You'll notice at the bottom of any bike's spec list it will say subject to change. That way if some specs change they are covered... At the shop I work at we just got an Anthem 3 and it came with maxxis crossmarks instead of racing ralphs

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

New 2014 trance 3 27.5 with wrong fork??

To get Giant to switch from Schwalbe to Maxxis for their MTB-line would be a big improvement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I picked up my Trance 27.5 3 in January and I just noticed that I have the TK Fork as well. However, the model sticker on my fork actually says TK Silver 26". Do your forks say the same? Or do they say 27.5"

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Mine says TK Silver/27.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sixspeeda View Post
    Mine says TK Silver/27.5
    Great. Bike feels ok though, not that I'm a pro and would notice if something was off. I wonder if there's a big difference between the 27.5 and 26 Sektor models. Generally speaking, I've heard that 650b's are pretty close to 26s

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just curious but I may be wrong. If your fork is for a 26", how does the 27.5" tire fit?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yea, I was wondering the same thing. If I had to guess, someone put the wrong sticker on there. If not that, then maybe the 26" TK Silver has enough clearance for a 27.5" wheel?

New 2014 trance 3 27.5 with wrong fork??-oliver-bentley-fork-tk-silver-26.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    haha wow! that is weird. I assume someone at the factory on a friday who was ready to leave work just slapped on the wrong sticker.