mtbr member
    Apr 2012

NEW 2011 Anthem 29er X2

Hi everyone. Well i pulled the trigger and bought a new 2011 Anthem 29er X2 over the weekend! Coming off an IronHorse 26" HT and man I love this bike. Got a smokin deal from a LBS and paid less than $2K. I was initially looking for an X3 but the LBS that had one sold it before I made my decision and I am happy because I got a better deal on an upgraded bike!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nice, I like that black too. I'd lube the chain if I was you. Mine snapped on my first ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Too late for your advice See! Snapped mine first ride out too!

mtbr member
    That's a screaming deal. I love mine as well!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah I couldn't pass it up AK.We did an 11 mile ride yesterday and I came to the conclusion that i am going to have to change out the flat bars to a riser. I was hoping to stick with them but my wrists are killing me today and that has never happened before.

2010 Glory custom FR
    How can you snap a chain... it's not dry, when you get a bike... it's prelubricated with protection lube for the shipping period.
    pozdro
    frango

btx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bb1857 View Post
    Yeah I couldn't pass it up AK.We did an 11 mile ride yesterday and I came to the conclusion that i am going to have to change out the flat bars to a riser. I was hoping to stick with them but my wrists are killing me today and that has never happened before.
    I switched to a riser on mine too, made a huge difference for me. I'm only about a hundred or so miles in, but I love it so far. The only thing I can say negative about it at all is that I do get quite a few pedal strikes compared to my old bike...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What bar did you go with if i may ask? I have been looking at the Easton EA50 and EA70. I am not concerned with weight of the bar for the most part because i am still losing weight myself.

btx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I don't have it sitting here, but I am about 80% certain it is an EA50.

mtbr member
    That's the only negative I too have of the bike so far is more occasional pedal strikes compared to other bikes I have, but that's easily fixable by the rider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have gotten some pedal strikes but nothing crazy thankfully. I also don't ride crazy fast as I like to be intact when I finish!

btx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yup, EA50.

Tactical Nightmare
    Congrats on the bike bud! I too just picked up a 2011 Anthem X 29er 2 as well and I love it! I have about 20 miles on it so far, and have made just one adjustment, and that was to move the seat forward a bit in hopes of shortening the cockpit up a bit. It did help, but I may still need to find something else to do. To the guys that have tried different bars, what was your reason? I know one of you mentioned your wrist getting sore, but I am wondering if a riser bar would help the cockpit length feel, or if I should go right to the stem and shorten it up.

Sorry, I didnít mean to derail the thread OP! Great choice on your ride, and I am glad to hear you are liking it, because I sure love mine!
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The stock Giant bars are strange. Some like them others don't. I never gave them a chance , immediately went w/ a riser bar. If you feel too stretched out try a 80/90 mm stem. Stock stem is 100mm I believe. Most bars have a rearward bend of around 8', I don't think that would help your cockpit issue. Unless, maybe the bars are uncomfortable, forcing you to feel cramped. Experiment a bit. Rich

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am going to bring mine in to my LBS and have them get me fitted better on the bike. When I bought it, it was at the end of the day so we didn't do a proper fitting. I am hoping that this will help. Rode about 9 miles yesterday and my wrists are pretty sore this morning again so adjustments definitely need to be made.

Also got quite a few more pedal strikes yesterday but as I get more comfortable on the bike I am going faster so I just have to adjust my pedal stroke as I ride. Having so much fun and introduced my friend to real mountain biking by letting him ride my old bike and he is loving it! He is buying it from me so now I have another riding buddy!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I switched bar on X 1 but if the height is not what is bothering you try flat with some sweep. I went Niner carbon but others out there as well in Alu like the Salsa pro moto. IMO that bike well suited for wider bar.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!