Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    2010 Glory custom FR

New, 2010 Glory freeride build

This is a crosspost from RM.

Hi Guys,
    my frame has just arrived. It looks really good
    However, factory, somehow, managed to build S size frame 150g heavier than Nate's and ekipper's M size frames?! I hope no one left a wrench in downtube...

Anyway, I started building it yesterday.
    This is how it's gonna be speced.

FRAME Glory DH S frame, dropout, shock
    REAR AXLE new Giant Alu axle
    HEADSET new FSA 1,5"-1,125" headset (108g) lite blue
    FORK 2010 RS Totem Solo Air 1,5"-1,125" white
    SHOCK Fox RC4 v Manitou Evolver ISX 6 Air
    HANDLEBAR 31.8 Gravity Carbon 710mm 25mm rise
    STEM Pro FSR FR/DH 50mm black
    SEAT POST Giant Connect SL CF
    SEAT CLAMP Hope seat clamp QR black
    SADDLE Tioga MC Lite Ti black
    PEDALS Syncros Traverse AM black
    SHIFTERS Sram X-9 Trigger
    CHAIN DEVICE new e13 LG1+ 40t
    REAR MECH Sram X.9 short
    BRAKES Avid Elixir CR Carbon
    BRAKE LEVER Avid Elixir CR Carbon
    CASSETTE Shimano SLX 11-18t
    CHAIN KMC X9 SL gold
    CRANKS Saint 815 165/83
    BOTTOM BRACKET Saint
    CHAINWHEEL E13 38t
    RIMS Dartmoor Raider 32 black (local, Polish brand)
    HUBS Hope Pro II black
    SPOKES DT Competition black with black, alu teflon nipples
    TYRES Maxxis Minion DHF/R 2.35 2ply
    INNERTUBES Maxxis FlyWeight 26"

I am still waiting for brakes, rear mech, shifter (+matchmaker), stem, seatpost tires and tubes.

Set of wheels weighs 2010g. I hope Dartmoor rims will last more than few days in mountains.

Complete bike will be around 15,6kg (34,40lbs) with RC4. I hope I will get Evolver as a second shock. The weight will drop to ca. 15,10kg, then.

Headtube/fork looks a little bit weight. Like it was bent backwards. But, I think it's just a picture. It doesn't look very steep for me, though.

I will post more pics when more parts arrive
    Attached Images Attached Images
    pozdro
    frango

BOR
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Good job!

Nice bike, not to heavy i think
    I'm waiting for the photos of the complete build & in action, dirty.
    Pozdrawiam
    Andrzej

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Reminds me a bit of my build

2010 Glory Frame (Med)
    DHX RC4 - 400lb spring (had 450lb when weighed, but was too stiff)
    Totem Coil (could save some weight changing it to Soloair)
    Hammerschmidt AM 170mm cranks, running 24t right now
    Deity Decoy Pedals
    Truvative 780mm BooBar
    Avid Elixers CR 203 rotors
    Lizard Skin Peaty grips, with blue ODI clamps
    X9 shifters
    X0 Rear Der
    XT cassette 11-34
    Gravity Dropper 4" & 1" drops
    WTB Silverado SLT Saddle
    Chris King Hubs (32 spoke)
    Stans Flow Rims
    DT Supercomp spokes
    Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3 tires, run tubeless with 1.5 cups of Stan's each.

37lbs 2oz on Go-Ride's scale!! Things are never as light as the manufacturers spec them. That and they don't include things like cables, brake fluid, hoses, etc. I find my bikes are always about 500g over the predicted weight.

I think Giant is missing the boat by building the Faith instead of just building up these with more of a freeride build.

2010 Glory custom FR
    Our bikes are not too far one from another, indeed
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Why did they decide to run the cable/hose under the downtube instead of above it? Spells shuttle disaster. Those are going to get trashed hanging over a tailgate getting up to the trails.

2010 Glory custom FR
    Design over functionality, I am afraid
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I highly recommend padding the tailgate well, but I would do that even if it didn't have cables and tubes there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    phatfreeheeler - could you take some real world measurement of the effective top tube and reach of your medium? thx.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If anyone out there with a large frame could measure center of bottom bracket to top center of head tube I would be very appreciative. 6' 1" and trying to decide between M/L. Nice steeds by the way. I'm excited about finally riding a light weight bike...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've gotten lots of questions about my bike so I figure I should post some feedback somewhere and this thread is probably about as close a description as it gets.

Sorry, haven't gone nuts trying to measure it. Keep in mind anything I measure is going to have quite a tolerance since a tape measure is not an accurate way to measure a frame.

Instead I rode the crap out of it down in Moab so I have lots of real world feedback. I'm 160lbs wet and 5'10" with a balanced sizing except for slightly long arms.

Keep in mind, my latest stable before building this bike had...
    DH - Transition Blindside built up burly with a 888, huge tires, and a dual ring
    XC/Trail/FR - Reign X, with the GD, Totem (this Glory now has) and several wheel, tire, and shock options. Varied from 34-38lbs depending on build. This became my do everything bike when the Blindside was stolen.

So on to the Glory with my crazy build. Keep in mind the light wheels and gravity dropper will be swapped out for lift served, and I might even go Boxxer for Whistler next year if the DH damper doesn't make the Totem pure butter.

1st off, with the 400lb spring I get just under 30% sag, so for true DH racing I would probably go 350lbs and add more boost pressure and bottom out resistance. As is, I still need to dial in the shock and that's expected since it's not a simple shock. Lots to mess with. Currently 130psi, 3-5 slow, 1-2 fast, 6-8 bottom out, 4-5 rebound. The back feels more plush than the front, but it's a pretty darn nice combo.

Everyone asks about the seat position. I actually moved the seat back a touch to get it where I wanted it. I could pedal this bike just fine for even long climbs. Not sure if the GD is happy at such a slack angle, but it works. The bars are huge, very fun everywhere except loading a shuttle vehicle, going between tight stuff (I got ripped to ground while going through a cattle guard at 20mph), and super tight corners the bars crowd my knee. I probably will cut them down to 29.5".

The bike does not feel long at all, maybe a tad shorter than the X. It is quick and very flicky (partially due to the weight). I think the wide bars pull you farther forward so that adds to short feel. The HT feels plenty slack for me. Maybe too steep for some, but I wouldn't change it at all. Pretty much just like my Reign X with this fork. The BB is low like the X. I actually used the bash on the hammerschmidt. The fit and feel is really similar to that bike, but with a significant improvement through rough chatter which is so common in Moab. It jumps really, really nicely, but a lot of that is suspension setup. The Reign still jumps a tad bit better I'd say. Partially cause the low TT. I think I need to add more bottom out for all the drops to flat down there.

The Hammerschmidt is RAD. When climbing it feels just like my Reign X in the 24 tooth which isn't bad at all. However when riding through rough sections, just pedal and everything smooths out. The Reign doesn't do that in the 36 tooth. It's funny, coasting is always more rough than pedaling with the Hammerschmidt on this bike. Any fear of pedal feedback at speeds or off drops is dead in my mind. Too much else is happening for you to detect anything of the sort. Any bike that you are riding on tight, technical trails would benefit from it. It's so worth the weight Engagement is actually pretty good because the 24 points of engagement have nothing to do with what gear you are in, unlike a rear hub. I love the fact that you can use a 24/11 combo and have plenty of chain tension and no cross chain feel.

Downtube cable routing, so far it's ok, but I think I'll cover them with something to help protect them right under the BB. Also, the downtube is super wide, so I do wonder how it would be to have a DC fork in tight corners.

I would have liked the black 01 frame, but I guess that would add the weight of more paint.

I guess that's it for now. These types of builds are the future of trail bikes IMHO, just wait.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the write up! Stoked that the gravity dropper is working on there.
    Light frame+ nuetral geometry= a bike that can do almost everything!
    I think alot of people that rode the glory at demo days that had a negative experience were on oversprung shocks. According to this http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/spring_calculator.aspx , the medium size comes set up for a 215# rider. That would make the bike feel alot steeper/ stink-bug in the steeper sections. Thanks again for the info, and look forward to hearing more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nice builds but why didn't you pick up a new faith for the type of builds you have done??

2010 Glory custom FR
    Me, because I wanted to keep 200mm travel and have HA a little bit slacker than i had on 2008 Glory... and because it came with RC4
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    BTW, I have a Fox 40 on mine and I have not noticed any problem with head tube interference due to its size. I think the Fox 40 has a wider crown than the Boxxer which might be a little too narrow for the frame.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    I guess that's it for now. These types of builds are the future of trail bikes IMHO, just wait.
    Thanks for the short review. I haven't seen anyone install Hammerschmidt on a Maestro bike. Your impressions make for a good read.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I too wanted 8"/200mm of travel. After spending a week in Whistler on my Reign X totally beefed up with this Totem, strong wheels w/10mm bolt on rear, huge tires, and short cranks, I came to the conclusion that I wanted more plushness from the back of the bike. The 1/4" increase going to the Faith didn't seem like enough of a gain. The frames are almost identical weights, and a bit more slack up front. The only questions for me was how it would work with the Hammerschmidt and if the slack seatpost would be awkward. At this point, I'd say the slack seatpost is a good thing because it puts the seat in a good climbing position and then way forward for descending, but it's a bit creaky with the GD. Probably needs a rebuild as it's many years old now.

Good to hear about the Fox 40, but man that would be an expensive add on.

I was talking with Scott at Go-ride today about how cool it would be to put a Faith rear triangle on a Glory to gain the adjustable axle position. We discussed it right after I pedalled around on the Faith 1 they just built up. I will say it is a beautiful bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Building a reign X can't figure out what parts

But I never heard a real ride review so this was a bit of an experiment.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I too wanted 8"/200mm of travel. After spending a week in Whistler on my Reign X totally beefed up with this Totem, strong wheels w/10mm bolt on rear, huge tires, and short cranks, I came to the conclusion that I wanted more plushness from the back of the bike. The 1/4" increase going to the Faith didn't seem like enough of a gain. The frames are almost identical weights, and a bit more slack up front. The only questions for me was how it would work with the Hammerschmidt and if the slack seatpost would be awkward. At this point, I'd say the slack seatpost is a good thing because it puts the seat in a good climbing position and then way forward for descending, but it's a bit creaky with the GD. Probably needs a rebuild as it's many years old now.

Good to hear about the Fox 40, but man that would be an expensive add on.

I was talking with Scott at Go-ride today about how cool it would be to put a Faith rear triangle on a Glory to gain the adjustable axle position. We discussed it right after I pedalled around on the Faith 1 they just built up. I will say it is a beautiful bike.
    We just got a Faith 1 in our shop today as well... I'm going to swap the dropouts eventually to see the differences... Seems like such a subtle change. It is a beautiful bike though.

They dropped the ball not using them on the Glory IMO...

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Building a reign X can't figure out what parts

But I never heard a real ride review so this was a bit of an experiment.
    Wow, that's interesting... Time for a thread resurrection!

2010 Glory custom FR

It's almost finished :)

(crosspost from RM)

So, my new, 2010 Glory "freeride" is almost done
    I have cancelled my order at MerlinCycles for Avid Elixir CR Carbon brakes after 2 weeks waiting w/o precise ETD from the shop :|
    I bought regular Elixirs CR locally. I'm gonna try to get carbon levers later
    Stem hasn't arrive, yet, so what You can see on pics, is just a stem, which allowed me to assemble the bike.
    Giant Connect SL carbon seatpost is on the way.
    As You can see, complete bike wieghs 15,86kg so just under 35lbs (34,93 to be exact). I think I am going to shave about 100g by cutting steerer and assembling the rest of planned components So, 15,75kg (34,69lbs).
    It makes 150g more than I expected... donno why

At least one tip for future builders.
    In order to avoid rear brake cable damage, You can miss bottom cable mount, pass cable between bottom link and BB tube, then, if You have Elixirs with moving banjo, use middle mount on the left chainstay and end at the calipper.
    This is very smooth and much saver way to have the cable attached. I check lenght growth at full suspension compression and it's not and issue.
    The only thing You have to do, is to protect frame and cable here and there from scratching.

Rear mech cable is a different story... I wanted to keep it inside the chainstay, so I'm just going to protect it with nice, black, 1mm wall, tube I found at the gardening shop. It's not installed yet, but as soon as it is, I will shop some pics.

pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i was wondering two things about the new glory,is it like the old 8.0 inches of travel on the glory zero(which i have) or a shorter version of the 8.8, which is supposed to ramp up less and be better for blazing fast race lines. The ramping up version is better for drops.
    second ,the hammerschmidt, giant says their maestro suspension would bob,(inch worm) alot with hammerschmidt,are you ignoring it?,do you notice it at all?,or does it not seem to be as bad as giant seems to feel? i don't think they have anything against sram, they use alot of their parts on various builds,so i think giants concern is legit.Some people just don't pedal their freeride bikes that far,or not much climbing,i know people that are off their bikes ,walking, so early in a climb it's ridiculous, they should't even bother having low gears.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    It pedals fine with the Hammerschmidt. Even Krispy was surprised how well it did. I think it's as simple as Giant didn't design it with Hammerschmidt in mind, so they can't say to use it. I would gladly pedal this bike up several thousand vert. Other than being 1.5lbs heavier than my Reign X, it pretty much climbs the same.

2010 Glory custom FR

It's finally rideable

(crosspost from RM)

Hi Guys,
    PRO stem arrived yesterday. The best word that discribes it is "simple". It's black matt with some barely visible satin graphcs. It has pretty narrow front cap/plate, about 40mm on the line of bolts. Bolts are steel, but... it's light. It's 136g! And local retail is 3x lower that Thomson 4x. I doubt it's 3 times worse.

So, I can ride my new Glory, finally. Unfortunatelly, it's ugly autumn, here :| Got to wait for some dry and warm days. Or maybe I will manage to go on French/Italian coast during winter

With proper stem and cut steerer, weight went down to 15,74kg (34,67lbs), already. With CF seatpost, some titanium bolts I ordered and KCNC QR seat clamp I should shave another 80-100g and that's it. No more pimpin'

How do You like it? Any suggestions?
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Cut the zip ties and you could save a few more grams
    Nice build. Can't abide by carbon bars, though, but to each their own.
    How about a ride report when you get that thing rollin? I'm having to live vicariously until I get the money to get a frame! How was it installing the LG 1+? Is that as far as you can rotate it clockwise?

2010 Glory custom FR
    Already did... no weight change, though
    Go to do something about front brake cable. 90cm seems to be too long. However, it has an advantage when You fall and the h-bar goes more than 180*
    I have to wait for better weather :|
    LG1+ installation was a little bit tricky. It's not easy to put bolts when Saint crankarms are on, already. I ended up with longer bolts and two thicker (2mm) washers on each. Comparing to ->2009 Glory and LG1, You have to use Normal backplate setting, instead of Wide backplate. The backplate is not all the way clockwise, yet. I set upper slider to be similar as in the Manual. And I still have about 1cm of space between chainstay and bottom pulley.
    pozdro
    frango

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast