Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    2010 Glory custom FR
    darkzeon, I am 170cm and Glory S fits me perfectly. It has ca. 2cm lower standover than 2008 Glory S (FR).
    I've also had 2006 Glory DH XS and it was too short and had higher standover.

I've spent Easter riding my bike in real mountains
    I am very happy with the way it works Both front and rear end are plush and sensitive.
    Totem works properly, now. RC4 is not as slow as it was at the beginning.
    Alligator Windcutter rotors provide enough stopping power
    I've got first ding in BB area... but the frame is still in one piece
    I can't wait to ride it more
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    double post
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frango
    darkzeon, I am 170cm and Glory S fits me perfectly. It has ca. 2cm lower standover than 2008 Glory S (FR).
    I've also had 2006 Glory DH XS and it was too short and had higher standover
    I'm looking forward owning a Glory, but availability here is still non existent. I'll be following the progress of your thread. My plan is also put on my current 66 180mm fork when the Glory's do arrive. BTW, did your Totem come with two different springs?
    Folangag

mtbr member
    So Frango...a year on down the trail (pun intended), how does it feel and what are your impressions of the rotors/ set up. Any changes made since then...?

BOR
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah, tell us about your impressions pozdrowienia

2010 Glory custom FR
    Sim and BOR, rotors are perfecly fine. I've just replaced front Elixir with Code 2011 (not R), but let's get to the beginning.

I installed rotors in the beginning of 2010. I've been several times in Polish and Slovakian mountains, since then. Not hardcore DH, but descent riding with a lot of braking
    Then, I've been 2 weeks in French Alps - Alpes d'Huez and Les Deux Alps. A looooooot of braking coz you can i.e. ride down from top of Pic Blanc (3200m) to the village or even further, to the level of 750m. Or you can merge 3 trails, which make 20min pretty steep, non-stop ride
    Brakes never boiled. I haven't felt any excessive fading. Rotors are still strait, so no overheating problems.
    I am using Unex Termo Dissipators Sintered pads. I chose them, coz I heard this kind of rotors eat organic pads for breakfast Sintered pads last pretty long. But, I usually don't ride in deep mud.
    Setup was pretty tricky. Due to huge venting holes in rotors, I felt wobbling on the brake lever and saw fork moving back and forth. What I had to do, was to trim down tri-align washers under caliper, which lowered caliper about 2mm, so the pad didn't interfere with rotor holes. It was a problem on 203mm rotor on the front. No need for such hassle with the rear brake.
    Upgrade - front Code 2011 with original organic parts. Installation was very easy. I just had to change 1 washer.
    First impression from the point of view of new caliper/rotor is good. Slight wobbling disappeared. I suspect, it's due the longer/bigger pad on Code. I am going to try Avid's sintered pads since Unex doesn't have Termo Dissipator pads for Code 2011, yet.
    However, the brake itself needs rebleeding, coz I am on the end of pad contact adjustment.
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Ahhh...I've heard similar probs as you've had with those specific rotors. Myself, I almost, 'almost' bought them from a weight perspective but went the Hope floating rotor as there is no going back after that.

Yeah the sintered pads are a no brainer in that regard but the organics wear down REAL fast on some seriously hard on/ off braking over the course of a few weeks or more of intensive riding, but I find the sintered also have better modulation and control for those constant braking moments.

What are your thoughts in the bike as a whole now that you've ha a while...great yeah! I LOVE the Faith although the cable routing, like yours on the Glory as stock, is idiotic! Have you played around with that aspect? BTW, go for the titanium rotor bolts as well as for other other associated hardware, saves a few grams here and there.

2010 Glory custom FR
    Larger, Code's, pads seem to solve wobbling problem. I will check it on some descents next week.
    I chose these rotors, coz they were cheap and light And if they were crappy, I would just throw them to garbage.
    They didn't let me down, so far. And I am not going to ride in such steep terrain as AdH or L2A this year, so I am not worry about performance.
    Well, I am a bit biased, coz I've been on Giant bikes since nearly 10 years. I had original Faith, and three Glories. I've watched Giant's big bikes evolution and I know they follow right path. Current Glory is one of the best DH bikes you can get. And the money I pay for it beats everything else on the market ;>
    As you know, I built mine quite light. Surprisingly, none of components failed. Yes, you can ruin these rims on one rocky trail, but as I don't plow, they hold pretty well.
    The bike is poppy, agile and nimble.
    I've rerouted cables on me first Glory 2010 frame. I've also rerouted cables using 2 Jag Wire aluminum cables stoppers, recently. It works perfectly, so far.
    I've got Ti rotor bolts, Ti bolts on calipers.
    Latest updates are:
    Shimano XTR Trail pedals, Code 2011 front brake.
    Future updates are:
    2x Minions DHF 2,5" EXO 3C, which, if proves in normal terrain, gonna shave 500g and 2012 Fox 36 180 Kashima Float, which will shave another 300g
    Which will lower the weight to the level of ca. 14,7kg
    Far future update: Vivid Air maybe.
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm definitely with you on the new Fox-180 band wagon and will put that on the Faith. My spec mentality is very much like yourself I'm trying to lighten it up somewhat. I mean I live to go big but I never plough or rough ride'n'wreck but, on a few dodgy landings I've Pretzled a few wheels. Although I would think that would happen on any naffed landing, so it's all good.

I recently ordered the Nukeproof 2.5 x 2:75" titanium spring for the stock shock on the Faith but wanted to get the titanium bolt hardware for that, yet couldn't find it yet. The replacement shock I'll get later will also be able to use the titanium spring so long term thinking on that aspect is all good.

What were the bits of hardware you used to anchor the cables around the shock rockers mate?

2010 Glory custom FR
    I am not going big so often, anymore, so these light parts will most probably last pretty long.
    Rims which I've got a re so cheap, that I could replace them twice a year, but they survived 1,5 season. I will replace rear before summer trip to France, just in case.
    First thing I did with suspension, was to precisely check which spring I need. I went down from stock 450 to 300! :O and then I ordered titanium spring at DSP. It could be 275lbs, but I am not a racer, so that's not a problem for me. Since I managed to bottom out few times on hard landings, it's acceptable. Possible switching to air shock will solve this issue
    You mean Jag Wire thingies? http://www.jagwireusa.com/img/products/lg/DCA053.jpg
    DCA053 Alloy Stick-On Cable Guide Silver 4pcs Blister Pack
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Ah...ok now I get you on the clips. I always find that when using those, it's best to pre-wash the area with alcohol (no...! Not the beer) to take away any gunk as they ten to stick longer.

Yeah the spring I ordered was a 400lb spring, which should be more then enough but obviously not too strong as I need it to be more plush with more feedback so that it is more subtle creating less spike in the repound also allowing the shocks stock (lack of) settings to react more to the trail. The previous stock spring was a 450lb spring, which wa just too much and very harsh, this complicated the balance between the front and rear shock too, was not fun.

In terms of wheels, yeah...that's a tricky subject and quite paradoxical in that I've already got a semi-decent set but require a more robust wheelset that ha a better hub with alot of engagement over the current yet at the same time, like yourself I too would like to get a fairly strong cheaper set that I can worry less about and just use for those more leary situations or just for bombing around.

The jury is still out as to what to get...or, get both.

BTW, what was the brand of titanium spring that you settled on?

France...might be going there next year, so prey tell mate, what I the best season you think and the best place for FR@DH? I have a few places in mind, but you seem to frequent that zone more then myself. So I'll take advice where I can and them break-out on the web to search further. Cheers.

2010 Glory custom FR
    This I what I did, but i used chemical thinner. All strong alcohol already drunk

I am ca. 140lbs un-geared, so 300lbs is max what I need.

About wheels, I really can't complain about Hope hubs or DT Comp spokes. As for rims, I'd love to try some carbon rims or at least ZTR Flows, but it's too expensive for me, at the moment. Moreover, I am not 100% convinced FOR switching for Stan's with regular tires, yet.

I am going to try Minions 2,5 EXO 3C in late summer. Will see if they work with thin innertubes for me.

If I get super low price... maybe

I've for good offer from Fadi from DSP

Oh, I love PdS Tons of different trails. Ben is doing great job on the Swiss side of the region. We are going to focus more on Morgins and Champery this time

And next year I still hope to manage to go to Whistler
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    I tell you what, post thread view from the iphone is painful with so many minor typos that when I get back to the computer, I look like a moronic ***** whose just recently undergone a frontal lobotomy...argh!

Oh sweet...now I am envious!!!!

Bugger, have to sleep...will catch back in the morning with a comment!

2010 Glory custom FR
    I don't know if any1 is interested, but I've been told by Cane Creek employee that they are working on DBair with 15mm (instead of 16mm) eyelets to allow Glory and some older Spesh bike owners use latest CC product.
    If you'd like to ride DBair on your Glory, as I do, write CC
    pozdro
    frango

2010 Glory custom FR
    So, I've just finished rebuilding new bike
    There was slight problem with headset, one part was missing, but it's done

Surprisingly, even though, the frame is rad heavier, the bike is still 14,82kg Or maybe my scale broke down and doesn't show anything else!?

Some numbers:
    wheel base: ca. 1170mm
    BB height: 345mm
    TT horizontal: ~555-560mm
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Interested to hear how you like the change. I'm still thinking I'll keep the older frame for my use as I like the steeper HA for using the bike as a trail bike in places like Moab. I've been rocking a Monarch+ with 2.6" stroke for about a year now and it is very well balanced with the Totem.

I've actually been thinking of going XX1 to eliminate the Hammerschmidt, but it will be a while till I can easily adapt the 150mm King hub and of course I couldn't run a XX1 crank cause of the 83mm width. I really think they are missing a market option with the 1x11. For me, it could turn every DH bike into an AM bike without hurting DH performance at all. I've even thought of switching to a Canfield One, just so I could fit XX1.

2010 Glory custom FR
    Well, as for geometry, I have had FSA Option on 2010 frame. Even though, I had little opportunity to ride, this season, I really liked it. So, replacing the frame is not a huge change for me. Rather getting things working w/o issues, like headset clicking.
    As for drivetrain, I've been thinking about switching do 10sp Zee rear mech, but it involves replacing few other components and spending quite a lot of money. I will stick to 9sp Sram for another season.
    pozdro
    frango

BOR
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Good job!

Very nice bike.
    I see that the passion is still there. Good
    Pozdro

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4